Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Finally back in an EVO!!! Need some quick advice.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally back in an EVO!!! Need some quick advice.

I can't believe it's finally happened! I've missed my '03 VIII every day since I sold it in '07. Finall got a X last weekend and it has some nice mods and only 3500 miles! When I bought my VIII used, it was a struggle to find out the mods on it. Thankfully, I bumped into the original owner, and he filled me in. I need as much advise as possible, and will be searching endlessly. I want to try to determine everything about this car. Also, if anyone knows the original owner that would be great. I know one thing, after having it just a few days...it's amazing. Here it is:

Here's what I know it has so far:

Advan RS 19 x ?? with 265/35's, AMS FMIC, Works Filter, Dual Exaust (very quiet, don't know which one), Defi boost gauge, and some interior/exterior mods.

Is is likely I have a tune? I spike to 22psi and hold 20psi or a little less. I've seen mixed reviews so far on stock boost. Will any tuner have difficulty re-tuned if map is locked?

I get a "Service Soon" light that I disable with Info. I assume this is to no TPMS in Advans? Confirmation would be great. Also, suggestions on tire pressure right now I'm running 34psi.

This car still needs Recall #C0904W, the fuel return pipe replacement. How urgent is this?? The car had an oil change at 2900 miles. I was planning on taking it easy until next oil change, but if it's risky I want to do it now.

Thanks for any input or suggtions. Glad to be back in an Evo...this car is perfect and a dream!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

dam where did u get those mirror blinker lights from? congrats on the purchase..wonder why the previous owner gave it up after putting so much mods into it and only getting a couple thousand miles out of it...hmmmm
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah the TPMS can throw that warning/
Install the TPMS and you will be fine. Congrats for the car nice ride

the fuel line is not a big deal. just some rubber mounting additions , so it will not crack later.
You need to go to the tuner to find out 100% about your tune stage. I would defenietly recommend that if you have no idea ECU wise.

Rob
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by poof101
dam where did u get those mirror blinker lights from? congrats on the purchase..wonder why the previous owner gave it up after putting so much mods into it and only getting a couple thousand miles out of it...hmmmm
Are the mirrors not an option like that? They also fold in when I lock the car. As far as the owner giving it up, I hope it's b/c the dealership I bought it from has nothing but exoctics. Hopefully, he had money to play and just got bored, and went with one of the lambos on the showroom floor! Clutch feels good, car is mint, it even came with stock wheels/tires. All very tasteful mods, so I'm hoping he left the tune for the mods it has.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
yeah the TPMS can throw that warning/
Install the TPMS and you will be fine. Congrats for the car nice ride

the fuel line is not a big deal. just some rubber mounting additions , so it will not crack later.
You need to go to the tuner to find out 100% about your tune stage. I would defenietly recommend that if you have no idea ECU wise.

Rob
Cool, thanks. I think I can live with the little exclamation point for a while. Do the stock TPMS work on these Advans? Any idea on common width or offset?

Glad the fuel line is not a big deal. I'll have the dealer replace it or order parts next oil change. Nice to know it's not as major as I thought.

Yeah, I have no idea about the tune. That's what bothers me the most, and will get tuned asap, but will probably add an AMS UICP and a test pipe first. Athough, If I could get confirmation that it's tuned for it's mods from original owner, I'd keep it like it is for a while. Would I hold 18-20psi on stock map?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like you have an AMS front mount Intercooler also.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steevo
Are the mirrors not an option like that? They also fold in when I lock the car.
they AUTO FOLD?! dude not even the jdm mirrors do that (not that i know of anyway)! where did your previous owner get them!?

Last edited by EndlessRed; Jan 20, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like it for sure has a drop of some kind.. Poke around underneath and see if it's coilovers or springs. Advan RS is usually 19x10 in Evo X fitment I believe.
Those mirrors are not stock, but the blinking and folding are awesome features nonetheless! Do I spy some Ralliart tail lights too?
At any rate, your car is gorgeous, seems to be decked out in the kind of mods that only someone with money and good taste would do so I'm guessing you're set on the maintenance/safe tune front. Depending on what area you live in, you might want to call around to some of the major Evo tuners and see if they remember the car.
Last thing- if they installed an AMS FMIC, surely there is some type of aftermarket UICP already in place? Maybe a quick engine bay shot would help us help you!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Huge
Looks like you have an AMS front mount Intercooler also.
Yeah, that was one of the first thing I noticed, and was very pleased! Actually, the Advans stuck out a bit more

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
they AUTO FOLD?! dude not even the jdm mirrors do that (not that i know of anyway)! where did your previous owner get them!?
That's awesome! I have no idea, but I'm trying to find that kind of stuff out. This guy made the car look perfect. I forgot to mention it's dropped with fenders rolled, and I don't know if they're coilovers or springs.

I may have to post some more pics, b/c he did all kinds of nice stuff. RA tails, CF shift know, true JDM badge, defi boost guage, it's seems too good to be true. I got the car for $29k flat, and traded in my Mazdaspeed 3 GT.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

please let us know when u find out more about the mirrors
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

more pics? yes please
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by endGameXIII
Yes they do, JDM/UK evos have had folding mirrors since the evo 4 I believe, and I know for a fact they have the auto fold with 3 clicks on the fob, and you can even auto close all windows and sunroof with the remote, no joke.

Pretty nice car, please post LOTS of pictures so we can see (picture of the folding mirror switch please )
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
i think he got the mirrors from here http://www.x-factordesign.com/automirror
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

More pics as requested Here is the engine bay shot. Looks stock to me, just the Works filter. Suprised no UICP with the AMS FMIC, but this Evo is alot about looks so I wouldn't be too suprised actually.

Here is a good pic of the mysterious yet awesome mirrors:

The rear, trying to figure out exhaust, cant find a label:

Interior:

Glad everyone likes it so far! I had test driven a stock X, and this feels way different. I just wish I knew for sure if it's tuned, and for what mods. Also, who knows what else I'm missing! Please more comments, thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well I guess these are next on my list lol
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
carpets ? :] Sweet evo!

Quick Reply: Finally back in an EVO!!! Need some quick advice.