Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My car weights what?!.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
that is a hell of a job. Even i didnt do it yet. It save weight for sure, but man that is a hard job to do.
Indeed, agreed. Not to mention time consuming. But, if people are looking for ways to shed weight, this could be a way. If you got the time, it could be considered free as opposed to say buying CF parts or something...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by xtnct
Indeed, agreed. Not to mention time consuming. But, if people are looking for ways to shed weight, this could be a way. If you got the time, it could be considered free as opposed to say buying CF parts or something...
yes. Im actually planning it for next year. But then i will looks like remove the stock ECU. And go for something is compatible for the X drive system. They have some solution already , but i'll wait an extra year for that. Two reasons . One is the money, second is the better developed product with a lot bug fixed.
So in 2011 i hope i will run the new wiring and a lot less heavier car besides that.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:20 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by motox502
Dont understand why Mitsu made the X's so heavy
Originally Posted by whodizking
Well it has to do with more airbags, naturally bigger car, sound insulation. what the Evo 8 and 9 isnt and doesnt have. Still a good car, just could of used alittle more power to make up for the mass.
Its certainly not the airbags.

Its the fact the Lancer is a platform share. The Outlander is on this platform, as well as many Chrysler/Jeep cars and SUVs: The Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass, Dodge Caliber, Dodge Avenger, and Chrysler Sebring. These are not small vehicles.

Cost cutting and platform sharing is why the X is heavy. The platform had to be able to house a V6. Notice there are an uncomfortable number of SUVs on this platform.

Considering what Mitsubishi had to work with, the Evo is a marvel. But it is also a tank.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

Its the fact the Lancer is a platform share. The Outlander is on this platform, as well as many Chrysler/Jeep cars and SUVs: The Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass, Dodge Caliber, Dodge Avenger, and Chrysler Sebring. These are not small vehicles.

Cost cutting and platform sharing is why the X is heavy. The platform had to be able to house a V6. Notice there are an uncomfortable number of SUVs on this platform.

Considering what Mitsubishi had to work with, the Evo is a marvel. But it is also a tank.
+1 exactly
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

and it's going to get even heavier, folks. The 2013 Evo XI is rumoured to be hybrid, meaning it'll have both an electric engine and gasoline engine. Wait til they release the weight on the fully loaded MR Touring for that one.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

They really should have increased the liter of our current platform. A 4G64 motor with a turbo sporting a 10.5cm hotside would have been nice.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

you guys should be thankfull it doesn't look like this !

Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

not to mention the following weight add ons. vs the CT9A
bigger wheels and tire
bigger brakes calippers
insanly heavy rear crash beam.../ why why that heavy?/
Tow hooks are simply insane.../they are removable though
Bigger spare wheel
etc.

Now wonder if you removed them or changed them for a lighter one the X can loose weight very quickly.
I mean just a rear crash beam and empty trunk will run you 100 Lbs skinnier.

There is pros and cons always. Like the bigger break set up/ just as big as my Project Mus's was/ Or Bigger wider rims tires.

ETc.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by userwave
you guys should be thankfull it doesn't look like this !

:thum bup:

.....as for our weights... it's not so bad considering the GTR weighs even a few hundred lbs more! yeah, more weight sux, but there were days when cars were ~2k lbs, and if you knew you were going to be in an accident, i am sure you'd rather be in your evo X. heck, i'd probably want to be in my x vs a viii or ix.

then again, my s2000 weighed ~2600lbs without me in it, while getting corner balanced. car feels faster, even with far less power.

first "mod" i did when i got my x was to take out all the extra crap in the trunk. not only did it cut weight, it freed up a TON of space. i mean, that crap took up like 1/3 of the trunk, literally! best mod you can do. and you don't have to worry about getting your trunk dirty, cause it's easy to wipe off the metal.

Last edited by St1g; Jan 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM.