Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because its cheap.. and it looks nice
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
What's there to advertise? Their line up blows donkey dick, and the Evo doesn't need advertising. You don't stumble into a dealership and walk out with an Evo.

It's not marketing in Mitsu's case, it's a total fail on the part of a viable product outside "Evo" and "Ralliart" or, if you're a gay guy or a female under the age of 12, "Eclipse Spyder".
I completely agree. And honestly the only thing I've ever seen advertise in the last 3 years is the lancer gts and lancer ralliart sportback. Everything else hasn't seen any advertisement what so ever.

The eclipse is an abomination! It has no market appeal unless you are completely ignorant to what a car is / should be. I have no idea what they were thinking going from the AWD eclipse to what they have now. That car and the galant need massive overhauls. Until they do they won't reach that 100k mark. The Galant needs to be turned into a camry / infinity M (for less money).

Originally Posted by Webman
If they were to try and compete with Subaru here in Colorado, they could capture a large portion of the market. Subaru beats out Mitsubishi because for $20k, you can get a decent car with AWD. With Mitsu, you have to buy a car with a turbo to get AWD... They just need to throw AWD into the regular Lancers, and they'd pick up some market share from Subaru. At least here they would...
I think they would pick it up EVERYWHERE. People like AWD, it makes them feel safe. It's the future (they obviously see this putting it in the endeavor). I also think it's time to start thinking of better mileage. Americans finally are starting to think about this. If doesn't improve their mileage along with everything else, they will die like dinosaurs.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

There's a base Lancer here in town. I want to chase them down and ask them, frankly, why the hell they bought a Lancer over the plethora of other viable, more attractive options.

I'd love to know their answer.
The lancer isn't that bad for what you get for the money. I mean you get quite a bit for 12k in that car. It's a throwaway car just like every other car in that price range though.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Is it me, or does Mitsu NOT advertise enough?
No you are right Mitsu doesn't advertise at all, very rare that you see a magazine ad or even see billboards if they even have any , and I think the reason why Mitsu can't advertise more is cause they don't have money
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
EvoM Community Team

has more money than they know what to do with. motors doesn't have a ton of income, but the parent company could give plenty of money to motors if it needed.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

What actually happened was Mitsu pulled the plug on the Eclipse by eliminating Turbo AWD and put all their performance "eggs" in the EVO basket. Reason for this U ask? The preponderance of Eclipse sales at that time were women who really did not care about performance( yes, not all women feel this way but most do) so Mitsu said why offer the performance models since the sales are low and lets just focus on these customers that want a good looking exterior at a low price...birth of non turbo, non AWD Eclipse. At the same they decided to narrow the performance window to the Lancer/EVO series only.
I used to have a 1st Gen Eclipse@350WHP@ 3K lbs and loved it (>200K mi on original head and bottom end). When the EVO's came here behind the WRX/STI, I could not move over because of the looks of the car....just too econo box IMO. But when they offered the X, I dumped my old Eclipse in a heartbeat.
To MrDan: I agree that Mitsu has turned their back on competing with the coupe cars (370Z, Cayman, G37,etc) and I do not see this changing in the future unless they come out with something on the lower end that can outsell the
civic, tercel and what ever Nissan is selling in that class. They are just too straped for money at this point in time and the forseeable future.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

they need more power. simple as that. they have a great rally heritage yet they dont use it. they design and manufacture turbos but dont use them. they spend millions on awesome AWD technology but dont use it... ultimate FAIL!

exterior design looks to be better. but they cant be like acura and have their entire lineup have the same "face". similar grille shape to connect the lineup and start a mitsu "look"? yes! smacking an evo face on an outlander and calling it a day? No!

crappy dealers are one thing. crappy products is a whole 'nother story...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
What actually happened was Mitsu pulled the plug on the Eclipse by eliminating Turbo AWD and put all their performance "eggs" in the EVO basket. Reason for this U ask? The preponderance of Eclipse sales at that time were women who really did not care about performance( yes, not all women feel this way but most do) so Mitsu said why offer the performance models since the sales are low and lets just focus on these customers that want a good looking exterior at a low price...birth of non turbo, non AWD Eclipse. At the same they decided to narrow the performance window to the Lancer/EVO series only.
I used to have a 1st Gen Eclipse@350WHP@ 3K lbs and loved it (>200K mi on original head and bottom end). When the EVO's came here behind the WRX/STI, I could not move over because of the looks of the car....just too econo box IMO. But when they offered the X, I dumped my old Eclipse in a heartbeat.
To MrDan: I agree that Mitsu has turned their back on competing with the coupe cars (370Z, Cayman, G37,etc) and I do not see this changing in the future unless they come out with something on the lower end that can outsell the
civic, tercel and what ever Nissan is selling in that class. They are just too straped for money at this point in time and the forseeable future.

Later, Ken
2nd gen dsm was curvy and so became a chick car. mitsu tried to cash in but at the same time alienated us car guys. the result? we moved on. but they hafta realize that we WILL look back! give us a mean turbo awd eclipse and we WILL buy!

its ridiculous to dumb down the eclipse in order to sell more evos. they are BOTH mitsu cars! either way mitsu wins! is bmw stupid for offering a M3 coupe and sedan? NO! people who want 4 doors will buy 4 doors, people who want a coupe will buy a coupe! the difference is that BOTH groups get to enjoy the M3! so mitsu, make the eclipse a 2 dr evo already!!!!

on the downside, mitsu looks to be going green with electric cars. its good to get a head start on future technologies BUT sportscars will NEVER die. if the next evo is a hybrid it BETTER be worthy of its name!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

2nd gen dsm was curvy and so became a chick car. mitsu tried to cash in but at the same time alienated us car guys. the result? we moved on. but they hafta realize that we WILL look back! give us a mean turbo awd eclipse and we WILL buy!
Meh, I don't know. The 2G still had the 4g63; that's why we bought it. It could have been sold in only pink and looked like a gigantic vagina, we still would have bought it since it had an amazing motor.

The 3G is where it went downhill, it turned into a boring piece of crap with a boring motor, no AWD. It became like every other car, ever. Congrats.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

The evo is by far not the best product from mitsu its just the most fun. compare specs of the lancer to the the civic. it is cheaper and has more hp. The galant is boring but reliable and very few problems. The endevor is outdated but probally among the most reliable. The stopped selling some of the better vehicles like the montero here since lack of interest to keep them in this market. The raider was a bust just like the 420a idea. They should have brought a reall truck here. I think it comes down to advertising or lack of it and boring cheap feeling interior.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:24 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
(OT) but is John Koenig the dad of Colby, the OC car crash? he is now head of the mitsubishi division since starting out in toyota?

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/...ng_effort.aspx
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm a true blue and through Mitsubishi enthusiast, most of what you guys have to say is very much what's wrong with Mitsubishi. The Endeavor is dated, very reliable and ages unlike any other vehicle I've driven. The new generation of Lancers have some serious paint issues and cheap exterior and interior plastics but are overall a "bargain buy" that trumps the Civic and the Toyota counterparts.

The X has a button load of minor issues Mitsubishi must correct in order to keep the legacy alive. I believe some people are weary of buying one after reading our forums. Though the issues aren't huge there big enough to create a negative image. The Galant is well past stalemate, great reliability but the styling sucked from day one! The current Eclipse is a terrible rendition of what the car once stood for, a turbo charged AWD counterpart that will snuff the current generation Mustang and Camaro along with the 350 and 370z is a must!

Back to the basic's! Mitsubishi must produce powerhouses (outside of the EVO) like The Starion (which spawned the whole turbo charged Japanese import market). Not only did the car make a huge mark in motor sports it competed in class A rally crosses and are still being used to this day. As for as the pick up market goes, the Raider was none other than a Dakota, which sucks and will always suck!

The true Mitsubishi truck happens to be considered a legend, The Mighty Max. Mitsubishi stopped manufacturing these trucks in 1996, if their marketing would have been better the Mighty Max could have been a domestic truck killer! I've seen many Mighty Max's with over 300k on them. The current generation Mighty Max (L200/Triton) NEEDS to be imported and sold here in the States as it would make Toyota, Dodge, Chevy and Ford look very sad. Turbo diesel, enough said.

Sub Compacts and electric cars! The Colt could be a nice counterpart to other manufacturers sub-compacts, especially if they offered the Turbo charged version in the United States. The electric car would set well with the state of California, however I'm not too certain on how big the market is for these cars?

Last but not least, STAY AWAY FROM THE CHRYSLER CORPORATION, MISTAKE NUMBER 1. They need not merge with another brand, Mitsubishi can stand on it's own two with a revamped marketing scheme and more attractive vehicles. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Xtremist; Jan 26, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

There's a base Lancer here in town. I want to chase them down and ask them, frankly, why the hell they bought a Lancer over the plethora of other viable, more attractive options.

I'd love to know their answer.
Answer: It's cheap, reliable and looks like an (your) Evo
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
To be completely honest, I was happier with my 2009 Lancer GTS than I am with my Evo. The Evo is problem after problem, after rattle, after noise, after piece falling off, after SES light coming on... I've had the Evo almost as long as I had the GTS, and it's a far more reliable and stable car than the Evo. I can only imagine what the new Outlander is like. I hope Mitsubishi can get their crap together and improve sales. I love their stuff, but I'm severely unhappy with my Evo compared to the GTS. Sure, it's faster and more stable, but the GTS was more reliable.
See, you must have gotten a lemon. I haven't had a single problem with my X.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Meh, I don't know. The 2G still had the 4g63; that's why we bought it. It could have been sold in only pink and looked like a gigantic vagina, we still would have bought it since it had an amazing motor.

The 3G is where it went downhill, it turned into a boring piece of crap with a boring motor, no AWD. It became like every other car, ever. Congrats.
i think the problem is that since the styling of the 2G eclipse was so curvy women were attracted to its 'cute' design. also they had the convertible which drew in more everyday people and less enthusiasts. sure it still had the 4G63 but lets be honest most people didnt buy the GST or GSX. its the styling that killed it. it looked pretty cool, but for whatever reason women liked it and BAM! instant chick car.

the result is that the 3G became what it became... absolute crap.

imo if the 2G was styled more aggressive, more 'manly' then women would have stayed away and it would have kept its sportscar dna...

there is a saying "we eat with our eyes first" which means if it looks good, then it will taste as good as it looks.

the same applies here. the mitsu styling has been HORRIBLE for MANY years and they have nobody to blame but themselves...

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years