Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think the downturn started when mitsu decided to offer their Eclipse line with V6 engines. the Eclipse was really a popular car back when it was turbocharged. =)
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Mitsubishi needs a facelift. Many of their vehicles just look dated. Its like they are confused about their own place in the market. Their lineup is just not competitive enough. Despite its heritage their flagship Evo is losing customers to things like the Hyundai Genesis. Additionally, their dealer distribution network has huge gaps in it. Like just try finding a decent Mitsubishi dealer anywhere near Seattle.

With manufacturers like Toyota poised to reenter the mid priced sports car market (yes the Supra is returning), now more than ever Mitsubishi needs to seperate itself from the pack somehow. To be honest they seem to have lost their drive to be innovative and seem content to be trailing the other major manufacturers.
More car for less money seems to be the only spot left for them.

I fear that they may soon become a 'remember when' brand like Mazda (R.I.P. RX7). Here I will start: Remember when Mitsubishi use to dominate Rally racing.

Last edited by nemsin; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 PM

I'd like to see a replacement for the 3000GT. I think Mitsu had the styling down on the 3000GT. The interior was exciting, the car had some guts to it. The Evo is a great car and I love mine but I would trade it in a second for a nice, low mileage 3000GT.

I have had great luck with Mitsu over the past couple of decades. I have sold many of them and I have never had one with serious issues.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RedSER13
i think the downturn started when mitsu decided to offer their Eclipse line with V6 engines. the Eclipse was really a popular car back when it was turbocharged. =)
I agree 100%. The Eclipse (especially the 1995 model with the grey skirts) was an awesome looking car. They did it because a V6 appeals to older buyers more than a turbo 4 cylinder. Changing over to a 6 cylinder was an attempt to bring more buyers into the fold and IMHO it backfired.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
See, you must have gotten a lemon. I haven't had a single problem with my X.
Me either. 5k miles and nothing that I'd have to have a dealer look at. I've met a few people that have had problems but rarely one that doesn't launch the car. If you beat on anything then stuff will break...that's the price for playing.

Last edited by mlomker; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

A new 3000GT and turbo AWD Eclipse would be great. Mitsubishi could take thumbs notes from the Genesis cope and build a new rear wheel drive format, much like the Starion. Use the 4B11, drop the all wheel drive for a RWD platform and cut the price in two.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Xtremist
Mitsubishi could take thumbs notes from the Genesis cope and build a new rear wheel drive format, much like the Starion. Use the 4B11, drop the all wheel drive for a RWD platform and cut the price in two.
Toyota is basically doing just that http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/t...ck-the-hachiro

Should have plenty of tuning potential with the subaru boxer engine platform to build off of.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
Meh, I don't know. The 2G still had the 4g63; that's why we bought it. It could have been sold in only pink and looked like a gigantic vagina, we still would have bought it since it had an amazing motor.

The 3G is where it went downhill, it turned into a boring piece of crap with a boring motor, no AWD. It became like every other car, ever. Congrats.
Originally Posted by RedSER13
The irony of both your statements is that the 3G sold more and was way more profitable then the 2G ever was. Only a small percentage of 2Gs were turbo, and the number of buyers dropped every year. The 3G V6s had more mass market appeal ($$$) and less warranty claims ($$$). They were also sold during the best years of Mitsubishi when they peaked around 2002 as a company in sales, during those times the Galant was the best selling car. I know, I was selling them during that time.

Now, I am not saying going back to offering a turbo AWD Eclipse is a bad idea, because the current 4G V6 Eclipse isn't doing so hot. They just need to make both the regular version AND the hi-po version GREAT cars so both can coexist and one pay for the other, because you aren't going to sell AWD turbo Eclipses to everybody. I pass by a Nissan dealer and a Hyundai dealer every day on the way to work and see the same Gen coupes and Zs still sitting there. 2 door sports cars do not sell well in a down economy.

Mitsu needs to redo the Galant and make it relevant. I think it could use a detuned Evo/RA drivetrain the most. Offer it in 4cyl FWD, 4cyl turbo/3.0L V6 FWD, and a RA 4cyl turbo AWD model.

Then bring over the i, the Colt and started building Tritons at Normal and 100,000 will be easy.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A more competitive Galant is what Mitsubishi needs. The best selling cars are Accords and Camrys. This is the segment where all the money is made and right now the Galant is bland, dated and offers nothing that the would sway a potential buyer from a Honda or Toyota.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing that was going for the current gen. Galant was the R/A which Mitsubishi scrapped. All I can say is... The Galant VR-4 won best import car back in the 90's!!! Come one Mitsubishi is it that car to figure out, ditch the current Galant!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by metaevo
I'd like to see a replacement for the 3000GT. I think Mitsu had the styling down on the 3000GT. The interior was exciting, the car had some guts to it. The Evo is a great car and I love mine but I would trade it in a second for a nice, low mileage 3000GT.

I have had great luck with Mitsu over the past couple of decades. I have sold many of them and I have never had one with serious issues.
have you driven a 3000gt? my friend bought one thinking it looked cool. he bought a 2nd sorta kinda as a backup. i tell you, that is a crappy crappy crappy car wrapped in very nice looking clothing. it handles horribly, and everything else about is undewhelming. my friend is trying to sell both cars now, so if you want one, i'll hook you up. but seriously, that car sucks hell. maybe the vr4 has some oomph (haven't driven one) but i'm sure it still handles worse than your average economy car.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by St1g
have you driven a 3000gt? my friend bought one thinking it looked cool. he bought a 2nd sorta kinda as a backup. i tell you, that is a crappy crappy crappy car wrapped in very nice looking clothing. it handles horribly, and everything else about is undewhelming. my friend is trying to sell both cars now, so if you want one, i'll hook you up. but seriously, that car sucks hell. maybe the vr4 has some oomph (haven't driven one) but i'm sure it still handles worse than your average economy car.
VR4 was a great car. It was pretty heavy and more of a GT car than outright sports car but still very fun and fast.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:21 PM

I've had 2 or 3 of them and 2 Stealths. My dad was a dealer, sold the very first Stealth in Richmond, VA and the first twin turbo as well. I remember turning heads everywhere we went It's not an Evo but plenty fast for the day. 300HP (320 in the later years), AWD, 4WS and all of the creature comforts the Evo should have had like Moving lumbar seats, adjustable suspension, adjustable exhaust, automatic climate control, etc. It tested faster 0-60 back in 1991 than a comparable Porshe 911 of the same year. It's old, yes, but still a great car IMHO.

The base model non TT cars definitely were not performers I agree with that.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
What's there to advertise? Their line up blows donkey dick, and the Evo doesn't need advertising. You don't stumble into a dealership and walk out with an Evo.

It's not marketing in Mitsu's case, it's a total fail on the part of a viable product outside "Evo" and "Ralliart" or, if you're a gay guy or a female under the age of 12, "Eclipse Spyder".
lol
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most people here are enthusiasts and would want the VR-4 model. A FWD 3000GT was never known for its handling, its the "girl" model. And some of them came with 160hp SOHC V6, others had 222hp DOHC V6s, so yeah the weakest onces were just about looks. From that perspective I wouldn't say they were crappy at all.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years