Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

I just had to post a response to this article....

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/26/r...-sales-in-u-s/

My post is #16, come join the fight Let them dealers know they suck
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with your post about the dealer network. They used to have over 650 dealers, and now only have about 350. Most have closed simply because they lacked customer service skills and technical ability to repair cars correctly. Survival of the fittest at its finest.

I also agree with posts #2 & #3. Mitsu cars in general use poor quality materials for the interior. We all know that. And resale value is poor for their entire line up (except the Evo).

I'm optimistic that they will stay in the US. Their upcoming product pipeline looks solid. The new Lancer and Outlander are good cars. That goal of 100,000 in 3 years isn't that far fetched and I really believe they can get there.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be completely honest, I was happier with my 2009 Lancer GTS than I am with my Evo. The Evo is problem after problem, after rattle, after noise, after piece falling off, after SES light coming on... I've had the Evo almost as long as I had the GTS, and it's a far more reliable and stable car than the Evo. I can only imagine what the new Outlander is like. I hope Mitsubishi can get their crap together and improve sales. I love their stuff, but I'm severely unhappy with my Evo compared to the GTS. Sure, it's faster and more stable, but the GTS was more reliable.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu needs to do something about the Eclipse so it can complete with the G37's, 370Z's, Hyundai Genesis coupe, etc.....The late 90's model had the style and power.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

mitsu needs to do something about their customer service...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Webman
To be completely honest, I was happier with my 2009 Lancer GTS than I am with my Evo. The Evo is problem after problem, after rattle, after noise, after piece falling off, after SES light coming on... I've had the Evo almost as long as I had the GTS, and it's a far more reliable and stable car than the Evo. I can only imagine what the new Outlander is like. I hope Mitsubishi can get their crap together and improve sales. I love their stuff, but I'm severely unhappy with my Evo compared to the GTS. Sure, it's faster and more stable, but the GTS was more reliable.
I wish your situation with the Evo X would have been better. Hopefully it gets worked out that they buy back your Evo. I think that would regain your trust in the brand.

But, to be fair to Mitsu, you bought a used Evo X that somehow had an aftermarket downpipe on it. Who knows what the previous owner did to it. It seems the issues you've had are isolated to your car since they aren't common issues amongst MR owners. Not downplaying your situation...because it truly is horrible. The dealership should have been able to handle this better than they have. Just trying to give some perspective to others who read your post.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by MR Dan
Mitsu needs to do something about the Eclipse so it can complete with the G37's, 370Z's, Hyundai Genesis coupe, etc.....The late 90's model had the style and power.
It's due for a refreshed, all-new model as either a 2011 or 2012 model. So, hopefully they get it right. I too want the Eclipse to go back to the head of the pack (where it should be) like the 2G Eclipse used to be.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
A) You got a lemon of a car, that was previously modified before you even bought it. I don't think it's fair to use your car as a standard for what the evo x is. Myself, I haven't had one issue with my X MR yet (except the glove box rattle that was simply fixed with some medical tape on the hinges).

B) The Evo is a performance car. Rattles are expected to happen. Sure they could add a bunch more weight trying to prevent rattles from happening in the interior, but that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

C) The GTS is a daily driver. That's what it was built for.

D) I think their new lineup will help a ton. I just hope it's not too late in these hard times.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by atombomb33
It's due for a refreshed, all-new model as either a 2011 or 2012 model. So, hopefully they get it right. I too want the Eclipse to go back to the head of the pack (where it should be) like the 2G Eclipse used to be.
If they use the eclipse ralliart concept (or even most of the ideas) it should be back ahead of the pack. Though I hope they put AWD in it. I honestly think should focus their AWD in most of their line up. It would help a ton for marketing. But a 4g63 in a new eclipse would be killer (even a 4b11t would be awesome).
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it me, or does Mitsu NOT advertise enough?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
A) You got a lemon of a car, that was previously modified before you even bought it. I don't think it's fair to use your car as a standard for what the evo x is. Myself, I haven't had one issue with my X MR yet (except the glove box rattle that was simply fixed with some medical tape on the hinges).

B) The Evo is a performance car. Rattles are expected to happen. Sure they could add a bunch more weight trying to prevent rattles from happening in the interior, but that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

C) The GTS is a daily driver. That's what it was built for.

D) I think their new lineup will help a ton. I just hope it's not too late in these hard times.
I only have one issue that makes it a lemon, and that's the P1235 that keeps popping up. But when you take ALL the other things on top of it, combined with the fact that the interior of my Evo is IDENTICAL (except for the recaro seats, and steering wheel), not similar to my GTS, you expect the same sort of quality. I shut the door of my Evo, and I hear the glove box and the dash rattle. I don't even have to be driving it to hear some sort of noise my GTS didn't make. If it's not the dash, it's the glove box, or the passenger door, or the rear seat shelf, or something else. Again, all of them can be recreated by just tapping on multiple panels within the car, or turning the stereo up. It has nothing to do with suspension or anything else. The interior of the car was never modified.

Top all of this off with the **** poor paint jobs of both the GTS and the Evo...

I'm not saying this would keep me from buying another Mitsu. I'm just saying that consistency is key.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

I see a lot of web advertisements, but I think it's because I visit type sites.... mitsubishicars.com / *************** / evom / etc. I see a little on XBMC tv show advertisements. But other than that I don't see a ton.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

What's there to advertise? Their line up blows donkey dick, and the Evo doesn't need advertising. You don't stumble into a dealership and walk out with an Evo.

It's not marketing in Mitsu's case, it's a total fail on the part of a viable product outside "Evo" and "Ralliart" or, if you're a gay guy or a female under the age of 12, "Eclipse Spyder".
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
If they use the eclipse ralliart concept (or even most of the ideas) it should be back ahead of the pack. Though I hope they put AWD in it. I honestly think should focus their AWD in most of their line up. It would help a ton for marketing. But a 4g63 in a new eclipse would be killer (even a 4b11t would be awesome).
If they were to try and compete with Subaru here in Colorado, they could capture a large portion of the market. Subaru beats out Mitsubishi because for $20k, you can get a decent car with AWD. With Mitsu, you have to buy a car with a turbo to get AWD... They just need to throw AWD into the regular Lancers, and they'd pick up some market share from Subaru. At least here they would...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

There's a base Lancer here in town. I want to chase them down and ask them, frankly, why the hell they bought a Lancer over the plethora of other viable, more attractive options.

I'd love to know their answer.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years