Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X reliability concerns and issues?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am at 12000 today with no problems except recalls.
The majority of the owners here that have problems are modded, and some of them
even ran untuned with the mods on. I believe finding a reputable tuner and shop will
make your life much easier.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Finding owner reviews of the "reliability" of Evos is going to be difficult, be it for 8s, 9s, or 10s. We have a tendency to do some fairly radical things to our cars, which throws the whole curve off.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

One thing about forums is that you will always hear the absolute worst possible scenarios or experiences. There is always someone that has had nothing but trouble, some others with a couple problems. But a majority have not had any problems. A lot of the time people tend to jump on the band wagon from what they have heard and not necessarily experienced as well. It gets to be over whelming especially when you read complaint threads, failure threads etc. You just have to take things with a grain of salt and be cautious.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:27 AM

Im reading 21K and the only complaint I have with the car is that the oil has to be changed. I thought for sure that they would see what they did wrong with the VIII and IX and fix this. Mitsu def needs to stop making junk and make motors that require no oil changes because changing the oil every 2-3K is crap. (JK I have had NO ISSSUES WHAT SO EVER). But I thought since you were waiting on somebody to complain about the X i would do it for ya!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

First at all give thanks to god you are not in one of those American cars forums or you would be banned at this point just for say that our evos are sheeeet.
That’s one of the reasons that make me get out of that world full of blindness and fanatics beyond the numbers.
But going to the point. No I have no problems at all. I’m even impressed of all the recalls and cares from Mitsubishi, my last car, an SRT8 used to shutdown by itself in the express way there was 500 people with the same problem (you can read the forums) and never dodge took care of us.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

quit whining and go trade in the Evo for a Toyota Camry... oh and once you get it, watch out with the floor mat, it could kill you!

Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

35k miles, 19 months nothing but minor issues, all of which have been resolved well and quickly, except for the seats. A set of coverking seat covers might be a good idea. In short, NO REGRETS!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
13K+ miles and no problem , only the MAF sensor so far. But i believe that is fixed since no issue in the last 10K /since i get rid of the HKS panel filter/
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Maybe to guys who cut their hands from broken shift knob or humiliated infront of the girl he was dating it is something important

I don't think the reliability of X improved over IX but of course the amenities have. It isn't a terribly a bad thing since evo was never an unreliable car to begin with and they didn't use that as an excuse to jack up the price. My IX rattles, just like reports on some X's, but so what, I didn't buy the car to be pampered. The X is actually doing well considering that it is on a new platform with a new engine. Compared to all the electrical horror stories you hear about first year 3 series, 5 series, A4 and A6, the X is a well built car. Things going broke after slapping on mods is expected from any cars, and evo fares well especially when you take into account on problem per horsepower increase.
I agree, the rattling is expected from a performance car like that. E46 M3's had that problem very early on. No rattle on my car yet, and I hope it stays like that for a while.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
No problems...till some idiots at a tuner shop touched my X....other than that...just as perfect as my VIII.

What are you doing to your shift knob if it falls off that easy? You can always take it back to Mitsu...and say what the h3ll's with the knob..I'm sure'll they'll fix it...sounds more like knit-picking to me.
I just shifted and it came loose, wasnt worth taking it to the dealer 45 mins away. Poured some glue inside the knob and its still fine 17K miles later.

And by the way Im not complaining or trading it in for a Toyota , I just wanted to hear some good things about it. I came from driving a Trans Am and the evo is by no means a disappointing car.

Last edited by got_em; Jan 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jazket
quit whining and go trade in the Evo for a Toyota Camry... oh and once you get it, watch out with the floor mat, it could kill you!

If not the floor mat the accelerator might pin and kill you in the Camry. In the X, it just breaks in half nice and safe.

20k and no issues.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

23k miles in 9 months... no electrical or mechanical issues.... lots of rattles and little irritating ****, but between music / exhaust I can't hear much anyways:P
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:27 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
10k, no problems, no complaints. Few rattles, but whatever. I screwed it up a few times modding it, but that was my fault.

Car is fast as hell, handles like a maniac, and looks awesome. Good enough for me.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:30 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by got_em
I agree, the rattling is expected from a performance car like that. E46 M3's had that problem very early on. No rattle on my car yet, and I hope it stays like that for a while.
I had a Range Rover that was 80 grand and it rattled like a can full of marbles by the time it hit 60k
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:47 AM

So, not problem at all! Good car, this X!

Quick Reply: Evo X reliability concerns and issues?