Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Insurance Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monkey_187
BS!! If you give USAA the VIN they will have an EVO GSR, if your getting regular Lancer price is cause you own a Lancer not an Evo. I know cause I own an Evo and I have USAA also.
I have an 08 Evo but my insurance cards show an 08 Lancer GTS. No idea if my premium is cheaper than it should be...
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SUX2BU86
Im going thru USAA and they dont even have an Evo in their system...even with the VIN they give me regular lancer gts prices... $85 full coverage 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS
Same here for the 2010 X GSR with USAA, only it was $45 full coverage (30 and married); my IX was ~$110 per month. I'm sure it will change once their database updates... Or, maybe they feel sorry for me because I also have a minivan?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by charon2123
Same here for the 2010 X GSR with USAA, only it was $45 full coverage (30 and married); my IX was ~$110 per month. I'm sure it will change once their database updates... Or, maybe they feel sorry for me because I also have a minivan?
Yea I was paying $90/mo for my 8 which they just classified as an "evolution" and now they wan't $130/mo for the X MR I don't even own lol

What's the site for USAA?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:30 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeremycafe
Allstate only had it listed as 2008 Evolution on mine, not GSR or MR.
Allstate has mine listed as just "2010 Mitsubishi Lancer" on my insurance card (VIN # is correct, and for a 2010 Evo GSR).. no GSR or MR or Evolution, just Lancer. They must know the correct model/trim based on VIN, because my policy correctly listed the vehicle cost at $35k without me telling them the MSRP or actual price paid.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:51 PM

Strange, mine is listed incorrectly as a MR too... Is the premium for the MR more than the GSR?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SUX2BU86
Im going thru USAA and they dont even have an Evo in their system...even with the VIN they give me regular lancer gts prices... $85 full coverage 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS
You were working with someone at USAA that doesn't know anything. When I called, since they didn't have the 2010 Evo in their system, they used the 2008 for quote purposes. Trust me, it isnt/wasn't $85. I'm not sure what would happen if you had a large claim.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I have USAA and mine in insured under a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. It's a 2008 though. Maybe there database isn't updated.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDZNate
I have USAA and mine in insured under a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. It's a 2008 though. Maybe there database isn't updated.
Mine's insured through USAA and they didn't have the 2010's Evolutions in their database, so they gave me the 2008 rate but the papers and their on-line site still list it as a 2010.

Last edited by emulous; Jan 31, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

I like how u call BS on my statement..ive talked to 3 different USAA employees...and 85 a month is about right considering ive had 2 evo IXs that were bothe 95 a month..Ive given them the VIN for the 2010 Evo GSR and they even google searched other GSR VINs and used them and they do not have 2010 Evos at all they told me.. they do have 08 Evos...so they asked me how much the vehicle is worth and I told them 40k..I told them its a 4cyl turbo and they still put my insurance under lancer GTS and not even Ralliart...ive had 2 totaled Evo IXs and they coverd them both I even got 27k for an 06 evo IX SE that had 30+k miles..I only paid 25k for the car..and bought it back for 3.5k then sold it for 10k...

USAA told me that they jus havent updated their database with the 2010s yet and its gonna take a while until more ppl start adding 2010 Evos.. im 23 married and have a nissan Titan...and ive always paid cheap insurance...idk why and thats with 2 claims...one for a stolen yamaha R1(which i paid $55 a month even at age 18) and a tboned Evo IX..
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:03 AM

i pay less with geico than usaa.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nrgizeman
i pay less with geico than usaa.
With all due respect comparing insurance costs on a forum is ridiculous. What one person calls full coverage is only the base, there are different monetary levels of coverage, different locations/state laws/availability of options, different driving experience/ratings, different add ons, different credit ratings, deductibles, etc.

You also need to factor in the history of payouts by an insurance company, whether your insurance company gives you back money at the end of the year when their payouts were less than expected, some insurance companies limit what they will payout on aftermarket add-ons, etc.

If you think you are getting a good deal and are happy with your insurance company, more power to you.

The post is about the 2010 evolutions not being listed in a lot of insurance company databases and what they should do about it to have their cars properly insured.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still waiting delivery on my EVO V GSR, my insurance is State Farm and they have both GSR and MR listed for quotes. The VIN number I got for my GSR also comes up as MR when they inputted it in the system. This however did not affect my quote or policy in any way.

Last edited by MAX EVO; Jan 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny, when i ran a carfax on my '10 mrt, it came up as a gsr! my insurance just lists it as a '10 evolution though
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

I would be worried if my insurance company had a different model listed under the policy. If the car is declared a total loss, you will really have a fight on your hands to get it valued properly. I have never had this happen to me, but even when the car is listed correctly, they fight you on the value and you have to essentially disqualify sample cars they used to value your car in order to get to an accurate value. I speak from experience n this aspect having had two Integra Type-R's declared total losses and getting close to the original sticket price on the last one which was seven years old.

Just a data point for you guys - to lower insurance premiums any time; I'm paying about $1000 every six months.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds about right on the price. I also have USAA where my monthly comes out to $91/mo (I carry zero deductibles and have a teenage driver in the house - that is probably the minor cost difference).

Trust me - Auto mfgrs publish the VIN decoders before the cars are even made and they're all approved by all the appropriate country governing bodies, such as EPA and DOT, and published by the mfgrs. This is not a new process - associating the 17-digit VIN number with make, model, year, engine, options, and serial number - it's been in effect for over 40 years.

No matter whether your particular insurance company has an individual [and proper] model name for your car is irrelevant - they will always get the price right and know the risk rating just from the VIN. That's why they always ask for the VIN.

For example:

If VIN position 5 & 6 are "W8" it's a Lancer Evolution GSR, if it's "W5" it's an Lancer Evolution MR. And VIN position 8 is gonna be "V" for all EVO models - "2.0L DOHC TC/IC MIVEC (4B11)"

2008:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...pdf/08VINs.pdf

2009:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...pdf/09VINs.pdf
(Note that in 2009 there was no USA-version of the EVO so W5 & W8 are not in the list.)

2010:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...pdf/10VINs.pdf

Last edited by Q15H; Jan 31, 2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Insurance Problems