Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Insurance Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emulous
With all due respect comparing insurance costs on a forum is ridiculous. What one person calls full coverage is only the base, there are different monetary levels of coverage, different locations/state laws/availability of options, different driving experience/ratings, different add ons, different credit ratings, deductibles, etc.

You also need to factor in the history of payouts by an insurance company, whether your insurance company gives you back money at the end of the year when their payouts were less than expected, some insurance companies limit what they will payout on aftermarket add-ons, etc.

If you think you are getting a good deal and are happy with your insurance company, more power to you.

The post is about the 2010 evolutions not being listed in a lot of insurance company databases and what they should do about it to have their cars properly insured.
+ 1 with this comment. This could get interesting if people would be willing to post what their true coverages were with location and driving record and what discounts have been applied. There are too many variables to insurance costs/ month/ 6 months/ 1 year. At the rate insurance companies update their databases, it may be a year at most before all Evo sub-categories are classified in their systems. In the end, 2010 vehicles are insured appropriately, that is, if the person that you are dealing with over the phone or in person knows what he/ she is doing.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:23 PM

Clean record, etc.

Progressive says I have a Mitsubishi Lancer (I have a 2010 PB Lancer Evolution MR-Touring).
Premium is only $247 / 6 months. I'm still shocked, I've had them check the VIN, but it always comes back as a base Lancer. I'm not complaining.

My wife's 2010 Nissan Maxima is actually more.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:58 PM

I had problems with my insurance company as well back in November of '09.

2010 Evo X GSR - my VIN wouldn't register with Victoria Insurance. They almost dropped me without notifying me until late December that my VIN wasn't registered until I faxed in my registration.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:22 PM

Yep, Yep, I too have USAA and I can't go wrong with a $75 GSR monthly payment. It doesn't have an evolution so the base lancer is what I am paying for. I have already used my policy for some paint damage and nothing went wrong so I am assuming I am good.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SUX2BU86
Im going thru USAA and they dont even have an Evo in their system...even with the VIN they give me regular lancer gts prices... $85 full coverage 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS

They had my evo in the database. USAA is awesome I have two cars insured with them and it dosent cost me much more than that. The best part is they also have incidental insurance. That way when my folks are in town they can drive my cars and still be covered.

Higher premiums? Is it because of the higher MSRP of the MR?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:23 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by evolv
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

I picked up a new 2010 GSR about a week ago, and when adding the vehicle to my insurance policy they are telling me the VIN number says it's an MR which it's not. Just for the hell of it I gave them the VIN numbers from 2 or 3 other GSR models on the lot, all came up as MR models. They said carfax is showing the same thing as well.

Basically I'm stuck with higher premiums until my VIN number correctly shows my car is a GSR. Who could I even go to for this?
I've seen local ads here on cars.com where the Evo is actually a GSR, but the VIN ran through cars.com brings up an MR.

The underwriter should be able to over ride that though.

I'm an insurance agent btw, but I havent had to look at any 2010 Evos yet.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im going thru USAA and they dont even have an Evo in their system...even with the VIN they give me regular lancer gts prices... $85 full coverage 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS

This is exactly what I have under vehicle descripion on my USAA account:

2008 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION GSR AWD

Maybe there's something screwy with their system since you have a 2010?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a bunch of bull, lol I gave them my GSR VIN and they hooked me up super quick! lol I dont know what moron you dealt with but ya lol I owned 2 evos thru them and both times was as simple as any other car lol
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Yeah both my evos were and still are covered by USAA....at least the EVO X is/ the VIII is somewhere in Germany (still covered by USAA) by another military member. My X was cheaper to insure....I guess because of the safety features and being a loyal customer w/no accidents....who knows?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I have 5+ speeding tickets, plus driving on a suspended license, yet my Ins is less then $100 a month for full ins thru USAA lol
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Make a complaint with the department of insurance for your state. If it is like in CA, rates are based on vehicle model which affects the premiums insurers charge. They will take action on a complaint, but it may take some time.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:43 PM

who wants to help me become a member of USAA? c'mon! I can use an older brother =D.. seriously.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^join the military.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:37 PM

I am a new owner of a 2010 PB MR Touring , and that is how it shows up for my insurance. Those of you that have the incorrect description for your car through your insurance can pose an issue. If you get into an accident and say you total the car, you will only be getting back money for what the car was worth as it was listed at. If I owned a MR and it came up as a GSR or ralliart,etc., I would be concerned. I hear ya that you are getting a better rate and a lower premium, but it can cause issues later. At the very least, you should doublecheck with your insurance agent to make sure your vin number matches the correct vehicle.
Just looking out for you-
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Since it's more than just USAA, I'm wondering if Mitsubishi was late to the party filing the VIN registries with appropriate bureaus/agencies and that's why it's not showing up correctly or at all. I realize that some insurance companies may be late to the party as well. I like how all of us USAA members are getting different answers/results from USAA on insuring 2010 EVO's.

I posted this in another post, but my company wants me to transfer from Chattanooga, TN to Detroit Michigan and I called USAA and they said they won't insure vehicles in MI or NJ unless you are an active service member, they transferred me to Progressive and they quoted me an additional 10K a year on car insurance for my evo and element over what I'm paying for insurance in TN with USAA.

Quick Reply: Insurance Problems