Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Insurance Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance Problems

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

I picked up a new 2010 GSR about a week ago, and when adding the vehicle to my insurance policy they are telling me the VIN number says it's an MR which it's not. Just for the hell of it I gave them the VIN numbers from 2 or 3 other GSR models on the lot, all came up as MR models. They said carfax is showing the same thing as well.

Basically I'm stuck with higher premiums until my VIN number correctly shows my car is a GSR. Who could I even go to for this?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:27 PM

that would be an issue in there data base, they would need to fix it on there end
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

If they can't fix the problem for you, find a new insurer that has a relevant database of VINs.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:34 PM

Sigh, this entire puchase has been a nightmare. Not to mention all the screwing over the dealer has been doing to me.

Wish I had my VIII back

Last edited by evolv; Jan 30, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

They will only do to you what you let them. There is no excuse getting screwed over at the dealership in this day and age.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Im going thru USAA and they dont even have an Evo in their system...even with the VIN they give me regular lancer gts prices... $85 full coverage 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

I would be surprised many insurance companies even have a difference in price for GSR vs MR. Allstate only had it listed as 2008 Evolution on mine, not GSR or MR.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:25 PM

I've been shopping insurance for the past few weeks and I've not found any insurers who specify a difference between GSR and MR. I've specifically asked Geico and Progressive about their quotes, and each said that they could only pull up "Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution."
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

^ +1

OP, they probably ment to just put evolution and not evolution mr. Even if they had different premiums, it would be every so slight. The headache to find the odd company out there that has seperate premiums probably isnt worth the effort.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SUX2BU86
Im going thru USAA and they dont even have an Evo in their system...even with the VIN they give me regular lancer gts prices... $85 full coverage 2010 Evo X GSR w SSS
The thing is, if something happen to your Evo, they won't cover as much unless it's correct. Hope that never have to happen to you.

OP- Get a brochure to show the insurance agent of the different models, take your Evo there for them to inspect and see if that will help. I don't know if there is really a difference between GSR and MR besides MR have more expensive tranny. I suppose that's why it's more.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

BS!! If you give USAA the VIN they will have an EVO GSR, if your getting regular Lancer price is cause you own a Lancer not an Evo. I know cause I own an Evo and I have USAA also.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolv
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

I picked up a new 2010 GSR about a week ago, and when adding the vehicle to my insurance policy they are telling me the VIN number says it's an MR which it's not. Just for the hell of it I gave them the VIN numbers from 2 or 3 other GSR models on the lot, all came up as MR models. They said carfax is showing the same thing as well.

Basically I'm stuck with higher premiums until my VIN number correctly shows my car is a GSR. Who could I even go to for this?
Sadly enough, the people that type in information for a companies computers for reference to different vehicles are not car people. They would not even know the difference between an MR and a GSR; even worse, but better for the consumer, insurance company may not distinguish between the plain Lancer, GTS, Ralliart, or EVO. Usually, it takes a car guy within the company to make a distingushing remark to change the classifications within vehicles and the categories between vehicles.
No matter what your insurance company/ agent tells you, your car will be insured appropriately, and down the line, the insurance company will make the distinguishing characteristics between the MR and GSR. Now, if the insurance company was not able to insure you due to inability to classify the vehicle correctly from the VIN, that is another story.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:04 PM

got to love insurance companies
Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

sell the car its brand new non titled "mr" sticker is well above that of a gsr. make out buy another one.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Lmao.. SWEEET!!! More $$$ For Modding!!

Quick Reply: Insurance Problems