Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi controls boost w LEAKY bov? what next?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont want to get into an argument here but you just used his example and completely ignored mine where I have tested it back to back without a change.

Moreso according to streetdreams, his buddy held the gas in neutral and revved the motor to 5K where he heard it leaking?? How much boost did he build there 5-10psi? So I am to gather that it leaks at that boost? It makes no sense.

What does make sense is a car that has been track tested at 30+ psi with the stock BOV, are you trying to tell me that AMS and Ryan Gates would run a leaky BOV at the track where every last HP counts?

Also, dont you think that Mitsu would design a BOV that would hold a little more than stock boost? That's like designing a connecting rod to hold 291hp because thats what the engine was rated at?

Im not saying the stock BOV wont leak but the question is at what psi? It isnt 26psi as I have found out myself. It seems like its over 30psi.

I may actually do a test to find out exactly where it does leak.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I boost leak tested mine and it held 26psi fine. That is basically what my red holds at redline.

I am probably still going to switch to a synapse bov.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pstl_pete

What does make sense is a car that has been track tested at 30+ psi with the stock BOV, are you trying to tell me that AMS and Ryan Gates would run a leaky BOV at the track where every last HP counts?
The car was tuned using the stock recirculated BOV. Yes, it may have leaked and they didn't even know. If it did leak, it was tuned with that leak, so obviously it's going to run perfectly. They have since swapped to a Tial Alpha Q on Gates' car. If the stock valve is so good even over 30psi, why would they even swap to a Tial?

Also, dont you think that Mitsu would design a BOV that would hold a little more than stock boost? That's like designing a connecting rod to hold 291hp because thats what the engine was rated at?

Im not saying the stock BOV wont leak but the question is at what psi? It isnt 26psi as I have found out myself. It seems like its over 30psi.

I may actually do a test to find out exactly where it does leak.
We all know the engine was designed and built to be very strong and able to take a lot of power. We also know the stock external parts - intake, intercooler, pipes, exhaust, etc. - leave a lot to be desired for going above and beyond stock boost and power levels. The fact is, the stock BOV is a mass produced unit meant to recirculate, stay quiet, hold 22psi and allow for good street driveability. If it holds more than 22psi, fine, but you don't know where it's going to give....maybe 23psi, maybe 26psi...maybe more like in your case. A mass produced valve is not going to be 100% exact between different cars. Maybe you got a good one that will hold 35psi, or maybe yours will leak as soon as you hit 27 or 28psi, who knows. Pressure testing the whole system with everything in place will tell you how much your valve will hold, but it won't tell you how good every stock BOV ever made is.

You see it happen time and time again where people complain about their "terrible" aftermarket BOV they just got that made the car start throwing codes or overboosting. It's not because "the Evo doesn't like blowoff valves", it's because their stock valve did leak and they didn't know it. When I first installed my aftermarket valve it was before I had a lot of other aftermarket parts on the car or any kind of tune. To this day, I've never had a single problem with a non-stock BOV on my car...not a single limp mode caused by the BOV, even with the dreaded HKS SSQV I had before.

I've already said this and I'll say it again...it doesn't make any sense to spend all kinds of money and upgrade every external engine part on the car, and even some internal parts, but then leave the stock BOV that will probably leak. Compared to the thousands of dollars that go into engine parts, a good aftermarket BOV is cheap.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Mar 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Gates doesn't run a factory DV anymore. He runs a tial now I believe.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
The car was tuned using the stock recirculated BOV. Yes, it may have leaked and they didn't even know. If it did leak, it was tuned with that leak, so obviously it's going to run perfectly. They have since swapped to a Tial Alpha Q on Gates' car. If the stock valve is so good even over 30psi, why would they even swap to a Tial?

We all know the engine was designed and built to be very strong and able to take a lot of power. We also know the stock external parts - intake, intercooler, pipes, exhaust, etc. - leave a lot to be desired for going above and beyond stock boost and power levels. The fact is, the stock BOV is a mass produced unit meant to recirculate, stay quiet, hold 22psi and allow for good street driveability. If it holds more than 22psi, fine, but you don't know where it's going to give....maybe 23psi, maybe 26psi...maybe more like in your case. A mass produced valve is not going to be 100% exact between different cars. Maybe you got a good one that will hold 35psi, or maybe yours will leak as soon as you hit 27 or 28psi, who knows. Pressure testing the whole system with everything in place will tell you how much your valve will hold, but it won't tell you how good every stock BOV ever made is.

You see it happen time and time again where people complain about their "terrible" aftermarket BOV they just got that made the car start throwing codes or overboosting. It's not because "the Evo doesn't like blowoff valves", it's because their stock valve did leak and they didn't know it. When I first installed my aftermarket valve it was before I had a lot of other aftermarket parts on the car or any kind of tune. To this day, I've never had a single problem with a non-stock BOV on my car...not a single limp mode caused by the BOV, even with the dreaded HKS SSQV I had before.

I've already said this and I'll say it again...it doesn't make any sense to spend all kinds of money and upgrade every external engine part on the car, and even some internal parts, but then leave the stock BOV that will probably leak. Compared to the thousands of dollars that go into engine parts, a good aftermarket BOV is cheap.
Obviously we have very different opinions on this. You can ask Ryan himself who told me to keep the stock BOV or RRE tuner Mike who said the exact same thing but at this point it really doesn't matter. Im going to stick with stock and your not.

I will say this though, you're wrong about the fact that the stock BOV's will leak at different levels. Maybe one or two psi difference but not 4-6psi. That would mean the springs that are inside the BOV vary greatly. How on earth would they pass quality control if they were all like that? Its the job of the manufacturer of the part to ensure that its made the same way and works the same way every time. If we were talking about a $50 dollar knock off HKS BOV then Id agree but you honestly think that Mitsu would be using a manufacturer to produce its BOV with that much inconsistency?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

I crushed my stock one and I hold 26psi. I think I am going to upgrade to a synapse though, just to be safe. I might not gain anything but it will be nice not to wonder.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Obviously we have very different opinions on this. You can ask Ryan himself who told me to keep the stock BOV or RRE tuner Mike who said the exact same thing but at this point it really doesn't matter. Im going to stick with stock and your not.

I will say this though, you're wrong about the fact that the stock BOV's will leak at different levels. Maybe one or two psi difference but not 4-6psi. That would mean the springs that are inside the BOV vary greatly. How on earth would they pass quality control if they were all like that? Its the job of the manufacturer of the part to ensure that its made the same way and works the same way every time. If we were talking about a $50 dollar knock off HKS BOV then Id agree but you honestly think that Mitsu would be using a manufacturer to produce its BOV with that much inconsistency?
That's fine, we'll just agree to disagree

You're telling me I'm wrong when you don't actually know for sure...

Yes, my theory is just that, a theory. But again, why leave the stock BOV when everything else in the engine bay is upgraded? Obviously there are several people that have found that it does leak, whether it's by actually hearing the leak itself or by overboosting and throwing codes with a new valve on the same tune. That alone would be enough for me to switch to something better, but I already did

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM.