Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi controls boost w LEAKY bov? what next?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi controls boost w LEAKY bov? what next?

so i decide to vent my stock bov to atmos. everything was going good so far, i was happy i got rid of bov hose which i hated.

so u got on the car to check sound ect. and i notice that i would hear a rush of air at about 4k...then repeatly i kept hearing it in every gear...and i thought to myself "dont tell me this bov is leaking under boost".

so i get someone to hold the pedal to about 3k nothing then 4k ......suddenly a rush of air then at 5k it almost went away...then i wondered to myself this is stupid..

i had a greddy bov in my garage i get it and install it and wow no more air. then i go for a ride and i step on it instantly i notice car was faster. come to find out im hitting 27-28lbs in first gear(still tapers) 2nd gear i hit 32lbs and i get cel i automatically knew it was overboost.

i put the old bov and i got the same results. do the stock bov's puposly leak to helpcontrol boost.. from what is going on it def seems so. is this common?

now what should i do how can i control my boost?

p.s sorry for grammar rushing
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You've got it kind of wrong...

Yes the stock diverter valve is leaky... but it's a closed MAF based system so it's metering the air coming out to work the system correctly.

The ECU meters incoming air via the MAF, and using inputs from the MAF, TPS, MAP (if so equipped), RPM, O2 sensor(s) and who knows what else determines how long to fire the injectors. If any of that metered volume of air is vented to atmosphere, the ECU has no idea that it's lost some air and will fire the injectors long enough to match the volume or pre-metered air. Result? Rich condition.

And just for a minute, consider what happens a non-recirculated valve is open during normal driving. When not making boost, turbocharged motors live in vacuum. Maybe even enough vacuum to hold the BOV/DV open. Ingesting unmetered, and in 99% of the cases which I've seen, unfiltered air. Sound like a good idea?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm ok? when you say it does this to make system run correctly.. how does this affect the wastegate it should open at desired boost REGARDLESS of outside interference
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by streetdreams552
The best way to control boost (AFRs, timing, MIVEC, et al) is to have the car professionally tuned. Search around in the Dyno forum or your Regional forum to find someone near you who's qualified to do it. I know there are some good tuners in the Northeast (heard good things about IveyTune,) just make sure to do your homework as not all tuners are equal.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so i decide to vent my stock bov to atmos. everything was going good so far, i was happy i got rid of bov hose which i hated.

so u got on the car to check sound ect. and i notice that i would hear a rush of air at about 4k...then repeatly i kept hearing it in every gear...and i thought to myself "dont tell me this bov is leaking under boost".

so i get someone to hold the pedal to about 3k nothing then 4k ......suddenly a rush of air then at 5k it almost went away...then i wondered to myself this is stupid..

i had a greddy bov in my garage i get it and install it and wow no more air. then i go for a ride and i step on it instantly i notice car was faster. come to find out im hitting 27-28lbs in first gear(still tapers) 2nd gear i hit 32lbs and i get cel i automatically knew it was overboost.

i put the old bov and i got the same results. do the stock bov's puposly leak to helpcontrol boost.. from what is going on it def seems so. is this common?

p.s sorry for grammar rushing
You are hitting 32 lbs in 2nd gear and you're worried about your bov leaking?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

car is already tuned. my problem here isnt about tuning. its really about controlling boost. boost is currently ecu controlled(stock boost). my next question is if i remove all boost pills and use a boost controller will i gain control over boost again?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
You are hitting 32 lbs in 2nd gear and you're worried about your bov leaking?
actually its in 3rd gear. and its only a spike it doesnt hold 32 psi.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
You've got it kind of wrong...

Yes the stock diverter valve is leaky... but it's a closed MAF based system so it's metering the air coming out to work the system correctly.
the system works correctly via boost pills correct?
will i gain control again by using an mbc and eliminating pills?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

car is already tuned. my problem here isnt about tuning. its really about controlling boost. boost is currently ecu controlled(stock boost). my next question is if i remove all boost pills and use a boost controller will i gain control over boost again?
Boost is controlled by the factory ECU. If you want to run this new valve and it's causing boost spikes as high as you're reporting then you need to have the car re-tuned.

If you remove the pill closest to the compressor you'll be running wastegate pressure, which is ~12psi with the stock WGA.

The pills nearest the boost solenoids help mitigate pressure spikes, so you'll probably want to leave those intact for now.

Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
no, you aren't losing control. Going to a MBC or EBC nets you nothing.

The airflow system is basically closed and by dumping it to the air you're not allowing the ECU to compensate for the expected air coming out of the diverter valve back into the LICP so you get all sorts of wild *** fluctuation.

This is NOT a new "problem" as the same setup has been used for the 8 and 9 (the X valve is the same as the 9 valve). I suggest you search for BOV VTA in the 8/9 forums to see 7 years of posts regarding the subject.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You took your stock BOV, made it VTA and you wonder why your car is running like crap and overboosting???
Old Mar 1, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why oh why do people have to put stupid annoying ricer valves on these cars, they arent Civics!!!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
Boost is controlled by the factory ECU. If you want to run this new valve and it's causing boost spikes as high as you're reporting then you need to have the car re-tuned.

If you remove the pill closest to the compressor you'll be running wastegate pressure, which is ~12psi with the stock WGA.

The pills nearest the boost solenoids help mitigate pressure spikes, so you'll probably want to leave those intact for now.

thanks again this is the kind of help im looking for

thanks
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
no, you aren't losing control. Going to a MBC or EBC nets you nothing.

The airflow system is basically closed and by dumping it to the air you're not allowing the ECU to compensate for the expected air coming out of the diverter valve back into the LICP so you get all sorts of wild *** fluctuation.

This is NOT a new "problem" as the same setup has been used for the 8 and 9 (the X valve is the same as the 9 valve). I suggest you search for BOV VTA in the 8/9 forums to see 7 years of posts regarding the subject.
i thought otherwise cause a frend of mine is using a mbc to control boost.

i was under impression the pills were not working how they should. cause like you said ecu cant compensate.

through me doing this i learned that the stock bov DOES leak under boost. i guess like you said its designed to but i WONDER why? because

1. if i vent the stock bov to atmos. = boost is perfect

vs

2. if i use aftermarket bov to atmos.= over boost

only difference is that the one that LEAKS controls boost
like how it should

btw i dont get any fluctuations w aftermarket bov, but i do with stock its weird

i think the stock bov may leak at idle also but very minimal
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading all this, the most profound question I can come up with is: what's grammer rushing?

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi controls boost w LEAKY bov? what next?