Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo X and 3k for Mods...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evogirl80
well, like you said this a highly debated topic. I don't believe in Rotas just falling apart. There was one picture that floated around the internet like 5yrs ago and it's brought a bad name to Rota ever since. i'm no fanboy or anything either. i still run stock SE wheels on my car. I just don't get why everyone should buy Volks or Advans when most people only get wheels for looks more than anything. I would cringe at the first rock chip I found on my wheels or the first pot hole I accidently hit knowing I just paid $3-4k for rims. I personally wouldn't do it but to each it own.

True, I guess go for volks and what not for show, and rota for everyday DD.
But I had a friend who had rotas and hit a pothole and the rim was trashed and he almost got in an accident. I rock the stocker enkeis for the X and I plan to for a long time.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eeboh
I've heard some bad things from rotas, breaking and what not..Atleast They are more prone to. Wouldn't you wanna do it right the first time and not worry about such a thing happening to you, especially on the road.

I dunno, you tell me why not?
So you are not speaking from experience I see, only from what you heard. I on the other hand have owned Rays, Advan, and now have Rotas on my car.

I dont want to take away from his thread but I think that its dumb for him to spend $3-4k on a set of rims and still have to get tires. I believe in doing things right the first time, but I dont believe in wasting your money. If it is his daily driver then I dont see why he needs them
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:39 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by smajin
At the end of the month I'll be purchasing a 2010 GSR in Phantom Black w/ the SSS package (so pumped hahah). In the meantime I'm looking to purchase some mods to have ready when the car arrives and I have about 3k to spend. The car will be my daily driver and I'm also looking into doing some AutoX with it. Also I don't really want the car to be super loud and it'd be easier if it could pass inspection in PA.

So, bone stock Evo X GSR and $3k to put into it, what do you do?

Also some specifics would be cool... (e.g. instead of just get an intake, which one and why?)

Thanks in advance guys! Looking forward to joining the Evo X community!

P.S. I'm located in Pittsburgh, any localish tuner recommendations?
Cobb AP+catback exhaust+downpipe, theres a bunch of horsepower for you, used that should run about 1200

Some people hate coilovers for a DD, i used Tanabe springs on mine and love them. But i would definitely do something suspension wise, at least to lower it

Then for auto-x, i'd +1 on the sway bars and bushings. You should be able to do all that withing your budget, have some good horsepower gains and some good auto-x.

Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Don't get coilovers... not right away. Figure out your car and what you want improved.

Take your 3k - 4k and get a catback, drop-in filter, and a tune. (and have money left over) .
+1. Also get an aggressive alignment. The stock alignment will ruin your tires if you are doing anything competitive. I think Migs is right on. Figure out what to fix after you've figured out what you don't like (suspension, tires, brakes).

Some of the best local auto-x guys have nearly stock, but tuned cars. They go with springs, a rear sway, and spend all of the rest of their money on tires and brakes. You don't need coils.

Don't get me wrong...I've spent stupid money on my car but my goals are different than yours. If you want to be a good auto-x driver then find out how some of the best guys run their cars.

Last edited by mlomker; Mar 7, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evogirl80
well, like you said this a highly debated topic. I don't believe in Rotas just falling apart. There was one picture that floated around the internet like 5yrs ago and it's brought a bad name to Rota ever since. i'm no fanboy or anything either. i still run stock SE wheels on my car. I just don't get why everyone should buy Volks or Advans when most people only get wheels for looks more than anything. Plus most Evos are daily drivers that see a lot of abuse. I would cringe at the first rock chip I found on my wheels or the first pot hole I accidently hit knowing I just paid $3-4k for rims. I personally wouldn't do it but to each is own.
This.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far! As far as coilovers go I'd rather not put so much into one part at least to begin with. Definetely want to get some kind of springs for lowering though. As far as other mods go are some companies better than others? There's alot of info on what mods people run but not much on why they chose AMS over ETS or another brand (for example)...

Also my initial impression from my test drive was it was a tiny bit more sluggish low-end then I expected (this could just be crazy expectations on my part) but are there certain mods that would help with this?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:48 AM

Welcome. Nice to see another Pittsburgh area guy on here. Make sure you check out the Pittsburgh thread in the Northeast Region Forum. We have a lot of meets during the summer down at the waterfront.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Also my initial impression from my test drive was it was a tiny bit more sluggish low-end then I expected (this could just be crazy expectations on my part) but are there certain mods that would help with this?
If it was an untuned car then there's a night-and-day difference once your car is tuned. A tune will move the spool a lot lower in the powerband--it's the lack of torque that you are feeling.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/pro...112#googlebase

Get this exhaust it's what I have. I can't recommend it enough. It's so good and for the price I feel bad for Greddy. I would buy a second one just to have lol.

this website quotes it at $760 + 55 for shipping but I got mine from Speedelement

So about $800-950 full tbe

Now intake I have a Injen that I am totally satisfied with. That's about $450-500

http://www.maperformance.com/injen-a...ion-evo-x.html

So far ~$1500 for an intake with uicp and a full exhaust. At this point I would get an inter-cooler if I lived in hotter climate. If not a tune for me and done for now.

Tune ~ $500

H&R springs for ~$220

Total $2700 without inter-cooler.

If you install most of these the install would not be more than ~$300 for springs.

If you install everything yourself get a oil change and a SS break lines for ~$200

There you have it at 3k done.

Last edited by toshibakoludo; Mar 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

coilovers and exhaust.
i have tein ssp and they are great entry level coils if u want to get into autox and its ur dd. for exhaust i have the greddy se exhaust, its not loud at all.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use some of that money on a HPDE weekend at Beaver Run. It's pretty cheap if you go with PCA, BMWCC, etc, and the instructor quality is decent for the money. Beaver Run also has open non-club days you can go to. You'll get more satisfaction out of one HPDE than out of any other combination of mods you could buy.

http://www.beaverun.com/thrills_flat...t_sessions.php
Old Mar 7, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Turbo-back exhaust
- Upper intercooler piping
- Intake
- Tune
- Springs

That's where I'd start.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

At the end of the month I'll be purchasing a 2010 GSR in Phantom Black w/ the SSS package (so pumped hahah). In the meantime I'm looking to purchase some mods to have ready when the car arrives and I have about 3k to spend. The car will be my daily driver and I'm also looking into doing some AutoX with it. Also I don't really want the car to be super loud and it'd be easier if it could pass inspection in PA.

So, bone stock Evo X GSR and $3k to put into it, what do you do?

Also some specifics would be cool... (e.g. instead of just get an intake, which one and why?)

Thanks in advance guys! Looking forward to joining the Evo X community!

P.S. I'm located in Pittsburgh, any localish tuner recommendations?

I would talk to your dealer, and make sure that you can mod it. if you throw on say upper and lower intercooler pipes they might limit your warranty. Mine said anything forward the turbo is cool (so no exhaust) Some dealers are saying zero mods. I would check with that first.

Then if you can do FMIC and piping, but do your research on what you think is the best! I would also do a cat back!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think coilovers and a tune for sure is the way to go!!! coilovers are nice suspen upgrade and a tune is a good performance upgrade so u have both that'll help the car.. then save the rest and after u get some practice of autox then u can get swaybars, tires, etc.. thats what i'd do!! plus lowering the X is a must!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:24 PM

wow, new car into auto X, a bit early for a new car. anyway, coilover would be the best, and better set of tires. thats should be around $3k.

Quick Reply: New Evo X and 3k for Mods...