Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo X and 3k for Mods...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznknight47
wow, new car into auto X, a bit early for a new car. anyway, coilover would be the best, and better set of tires. thats should be around $3k.
Auto X is just something I'm interested in doing at some point. I don't plan on getting the car taking it to Auto X the next day.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people recommending coilovers though, I'm guessing that's because I mentioned Auto X?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The evo excels at Auto X is why.

What bolt on's you can afford and a tune for the first 3k. E85 conversion minus some bolt ons if you have it by you.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:01 PM

$3K for mods? It depends if that is all you ever plan to spend or if that is the "initial $3K". If it's all you are going to spend, I would get:

Enkei RPF1's
Springs
Turboback
Tune

If you are willing to spend more down the line, I would invest in coilovers and some power mods.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TRACE on
$3K for mods? It depends if that is all you ever plan to spend or if that is the "initial $3K". If it's all you are going to spend, I would get:

Enkei RPF1's
Springs
Turboback
Tune

If you are willing to spend more down the line, I would invest in coilovers and some power mods.

There's always the possibility of spending more down the line, I'm sure I'll find something I want to change/improve later on.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TRACE on

Enkei RPF1's
Springs
Turboback
Tune

Agreed
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm picking my 2010 on Sunday and leaving it stock until I paid it off in full so I don't have anything holding me back when I start modding.
My .02
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

My limited experience with Auto X and trackdays has changed my perspective on modding cars for better "performance". The goal for me is to get better at driving and improving my own times. The only way to achieve that is track time. Better times take time.

There's plenty of inexperienced guys at Auto X with lots of money dumped into their rides who can't get close to an experienced driver in a stock vehicle. Take your X to the track and get some time in, you'll probably see that it's an awesome handling car right out of the box. Also, check the Auto X rules as modifying your vehicle's suspension may take you out of the "novice" class that an inexperienced driver should be in.

If you really get into tracking your car, that 3k may come in real handy for tires and brake pads.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ A tune is minimal for these cars for a way better powerband. The X is a dog from the factory on the ****ty rich tune. All stock with a tune makes it much more enjoyable. I agree with your theory but I would at minimum get a custom dyno tune.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, a tune should be considered mandatory for any driving application.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rancornthree
Yeah, a tune should be considered mandatory for any driving application.
Definitely getting a tune, probably going to make the trip to CBRD even though it's a bit of a hike for me.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:09 PM

i say, drive the car for a while first, see what you personally think needs improvement and go from there. but in general i think youre gonna want to buy some lowering springs, drop in filter, and get tuned. but thats only like 600-700
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO X 6950
I'm picking my 2010 on Sunday and leaving it stock until I paid it off in full so I don't have anything holding me back when I start modding.
My .02
Most of us can't wait 5 years to start modding! Some can't wait 5 days...lol. I actually waited a year.

Originally Posted by murlo26
^ A tune is minimal for these cars for a way better powerband. The X is a dog from the factory on the ****ty rich tune. All stock with a tune makes it much more enjoyable. I agree with your theory but I would at minimum get a custom dyno tune.
Yes, a turboback and a tune is the best bang for your buck. That's all you REALLY need to get started. You can save on suspension once you get used to the car as it is. Then change what you want depending on what you will be doing with the car.

Originally Posted by smajin
Definitely getting a tune, probably going to make the trip to CBRD even though it's a bit of a hike for me.
They are a good choice. It's worth the trip.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:34 PM

Go try AutoX before you do any mods, because if you like it and want to get into it, all of your mods will be done with class rules in mind. Mods like coil overs will put you in a class that allows a lot of modifications, so your car wont be competitive (whether or not you are a good driver) unless you make a lot more mods and spend a lot more money. With 3k you would probably want to stick to the stock class, which will mean you probably want to pick up wheels, tires (DOT R compound i.e. Hoosier A6's) and a catback.

a tune isn't legal for stock, but if you want one you could run an access port and have a separate tune for the street and revert to the stock tune for autoX
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Who pays a car off in 5years? I meant paying it off in a year and then go to town
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EVO X 6950
Who pays a car off in 5years? I meant paying it off in a year and then go to town
I'm too impatient to wait a year Regardless of mods I still plan on paying the car off within the year though.

Thanks for all the responses guys, think I'm probably going to start with a turboback, fmic+pipes, intake, and a tune. Now to twiddle my thumbs till the end of the month

Quick Reply: New Evo X and 3k for Mods...