Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo X and 3k for Mods...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo X and 3k for Mods...

At the end of the month I'll be purchasing a 2010 GSR in Phantom Black w/ the SSS package (so pumped hahah). In the meantime I'm looking to purchase some mods to have ready when the car arrives and I have about 3k to spend. The car will be my daily driver and I'm also looking into doing some AutoX with it. Also I don't really want the car to be super loud and it'd be easier if it could pass inspection in PA.

So, bone stock Evo X GSR and $3k to put into it, what do you do?

Also some specifics would be cool... (e.g. instead of just get an intake, which one and why?)

Thanks in advance guys! Looking forward to joining the Evo X community!

P.S. I'm located in Pittsburgh, any localish tuner recommendations?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

welcome!

I got a new 2010 Evo X too!
If your looking into autoX, go with some nice coilovers.
Get that bad boy tuned!And with the rest of the cash save it for later
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Do you know what class you want to be in for Auto-x? That would help with your mod plan.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:46 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Eeboh
welcome!

I got a new 2010 Evo X too!
If your looking into autoX, go with some nice coilovers.
Get that bad boy tuned!And with the rest of the cash save it for later
I'm suprised you say this. I have a IX and I know the stock suspension is great but the X's are supposed to be rediculously good in stock form so why spend the money? why not small things like suspension bushings and sway bars....etc?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evogirl80
I'm suprised you say this. I have a IX and I know the stock suspension is great but the X's are supposed to be rediculously good in stock form so why spend the money? why not small things like suspension bushings and sway bars....etc?
I would say it would be an improvement over stock but what do I know?, plus the added look of being lower is a nice bonus.

But bushings and sway bars are helpful too. but it all depends on his class for autox.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:52 AM

I'm soon to be in the same boat, with $4K to spend. I'll be doing lowering springs (probably Cobb), Rota Torque wheels in 18x9.5 with +20 offset, Nitto NT-05 tires 265/30, Intake, Downpipe & Exhaust, and a tune. The intake and exhaust stuff will be fabricated by Morgan Performance Fabrication. But if you only have $3K to spend, I say springs, wheels & tires, and tune FTW.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Do you know what class you want to be in for Auto-x? That would help with your mod plan.
I honestly don't have much experience with AutoX (never had a car worthy) but I'm guessing I'd be looking at the Street Prepared class? Honestly you guys could probably tell me what would be best.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CHASEREVO
I'm soon to be in the same boat, with $4K to spend. I'll be doing lowering springs (probably Cobb), Rota Torque wheels in 18x9.5 with +20 offset, Nitto NT-05 tires 265/30, Intake, Downpipe & Exhaust, and a tune. The intake and exhaust stuff will be fabricated by Morgan Performance Fabrication. But if you only have $3K to spend, I say springs, wheels & tires, and tune FTW.
a lil off topic..

If I had the 4k you had, I would focus on staying away from rotas. why not go for the work/volks etc?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by smajin
I honestly don't have much experience with AutoX (never had a car worthy) but I'm guessing I'd be looking at the Street Prepared class? Honestly you guys could probably tell me what would be best.

See, here is a good reason not to. If you're new to Auto-X then I would just take the car out there and get really good feel for it so see what kind of improvements you want to make. Obviously handling is more important than power in most of these Auto-Xs since you never really open the car up. Do a few sessions and find some people that will help you do some nice cost effective upgrades to the car. I personally wanted coilovers just for the look and the fact that my RSX shocks gave out soon after some TEIN springs were installed. I figured coilovers were the better way to go. Funny thing is my car seems to handle worse than the stock suspension (BC RACING coilovers). If you are going to get them I would make sure they are very good quality and that they have the correct spring rates and valving to suit your needs.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Don't get coilovers... not right away. Figure out your car and what you want improved. A lot of people have been happy with swaybars + lowering springs (swift). If you do get coilovers make sure you get high quality ones: (AMR, KW, etc).

Take your 3k - 4k and get a catback, drop-in filter, and a tune. (and have money left over) .
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

get the robi KW coilovers clubsport
u may also look into getting your car tuned once u finish the break in period
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

a lil off topic..

If I had the 4k you had, I would focus on staying away from rotas. why not go for the work/volks etc?
Why? Please explain...........
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monkey_187
Why? Please explain...........
I've heard some bad things from rotas, breaking and what not..Atleast They are more prone to. Wouldn't you wanna do it right the first time and not worry about such a thing happening to you, especially on the road.

I dunno, you tell me why not?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:20 AM
Account Disabled

I've heard some bad things from rotas, breaking and what not..Atleast They are more prone to. Wouldn't you wanna do it right the first time and not worry about such a thing happening to you, especially on the road.

I dunno, you tell me why not?
well, like you said this a highly debated topic. I don't believe in Rotas just falling apart. There was one picture that floated around the internet like 5yrs ago and it's brought a bad name to Rota ever since. i'm no fanboy or anything either. i still run stock SE wheels on my car. I just don't get why everyone should buy Volks or Advans when most people only get wheels for looks more than anything. Plus most Evos are daily drivers that see a lot of abuse. I would cringe at the first rock chip I found on my wheels or the first pot hole I accidently hit knowing I just paid $3-4k for rims. I personally wouldn't do it but to each is own.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:21 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smajin
Also I don't really want the car to be super loud and it'd be easier if it could pass inspection in PA.
Not sure about Allegheny, but PA doesn't have any emissions testing during inspection, so that might help a little.

Welcome to EvoM

Quick Reply: New Evo X and 3k for Mods...