Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LED Tails = Cruise Control fail...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect... Imma buy it and see if it provides the fix.... thanks for your assistance!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:10 PM

Any news? Did this solve the problem?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:39 PM

I actually don't know. I decided to go back to the stock tails. After keeping the LEDs for a while, I decided that I actually like the stock tails better than the LED tails... But I have done more research since then and yes, this does fix the problem. The LEDs mess with the amperage of the electrical system causing your cruise control to not function as well as some possible S-AWC problems. If you buy a resistor that makes up for the difference from the LED's to stock, you will not have any issues. Hope this helps.... I also heard that some of the newer LED tails have resistors built in now. My advice would be to get some of those =)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resistors to fix Tail Light Issue

Hey, Firstly, I should say that some of the information here is a little iffy. Please read my really long and boring post here=> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...resistors.html

This post is specifically about turn signal issues, but the concepts are universal basic electrical engineering, so they will explain how and why you may need to add a 'load resistor' to help with these tail light issues.

I have an 09 Lancer GTS (5 spd) and have installed LED tail lights, my cruise control has been unaffected. This may be due to the amount of LEDs that are used in the tail light assemblies that I have, since that many probably still use a good amount of power, and therefore have not affected the computer. Anyway, please read the post in the thread I linked to and that should shed some light on why LEDs cause problems with your cars electrical systems. Please post back here or there if you would like more information about any of the concepts covered. Best of luck to all future modders that read this!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:52 AM

I installed all smd led tail light bulbs and I lost the cruse control when I turn on my headlights also I know it's a resistor problem but I am not sure witch power in the double filiment bulb to tap into the ground to correct it is it the brake or the running light I am hoping its the brake cause of the heat off of the resistor is less then the running light
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise control uses brake light as an input.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Veronica
Cruise control uses brake light as an input.
It's not only that, the entire car is CAN BUS too.

Imagine every wire in the car is networked. Implementing LED bulbs starts to throw the system off.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:21 AM

I know everything is can-bus no mater what you change you lose something from lights to tires to radio and the can-bus is always in the attachment it would be easyer if it was outside of the atachment then it's plug and play
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Good piece of information to know.