Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LED Tails = Cruise Control fail...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LED Tails = Cruise Control fail...

So yeah... I've been doing some searching around and I am having an issue that seems unique.... well at least part of it... I installed new LED tails a couple of days ago (they look pretty damn sweet!) but since the install, I am having a few issues that I am not able to pinpoint and was wondering if you guys had any advice. Since I put em in, some things have seemed to gone a bit haywire. The first problem is one that it seems some people share with me but no fix has been found, that is my cruise control no longer works. I can turn it on or off just fine, but it doesn't let me set a speed. Pretty strange. Also since the new tailz, my "ASC Service Needed" advisory comes on randomly after driving around for a bit. And to add something else, my "S-AWC Service Needed" likes to come on after a while as well. I am no genius when it comes to cars but I know the basics. I checked the fuses and all seem to be good. I am 100% sure the tails are hooked up correctly with no shorts. Any troubleshooting advice? I would greatly appreciate it...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its tripping off your cruise control its likely you need a load stabilizer to go with it. Something similar happened when I had LED as bulb replacements on my mazda. Something happend when i had eletrical issue with my brake lights all being out. No cruise control.

look into it and i am sure it will fix the problem
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by H8ted1488
Any troubleshooting advice?
Swap out the LEDs to the original bulbs for a few days, and make sure your CC's working properly, and no warnings are being thrown. At least that way you'll rule out any other possibilities, and know 100% that the LEDs are the issue.

Just a thought, though.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:18 PM

Cheap tail lights.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GasHead
Cheap tail lights.
Um, no.

LEDs use far less current than a standard incandescent bulb, therefore it's probably triggering something within the electrical system.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:05 AM

I wanted to put LED's in my tail lights and turn signals, but I read about the system having bugs with them. I saw a website with an inline resistor(?) that was supposed to make those problems go away.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:25 PM

What exactly in an inline resistor?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen cases where people with LED tail lights had problems with their remote start systems. In that case, the new taillights were allowing voltage to feed back from the parklight wire to the brake wire. If this is your problem, no wonder the cruise doesn't work as the brake deactivates it. Maybe this inline resistor helps isolate the two. An inline resistor is one that goes "inline" with wiring much like an inline fuel filter.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
Um, no.

LEDs use far less current than a standard incandescent bulb, therefore it's probably triggering something within the electrical system.
i put low impedance injectors on my car once :doh:
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

What exactly in an inline resistor?
A resistor is an electrical component wired into the circuit to add resistance to the circuit.

The original circuits are set up to run normal light bulbs which have more resistance than LED's.

Since LED's have very little resistance, you have to wire a resistor into the circuit to add resistance
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:44 AM

Sorry about bringing this back from the dead but I have been real busy... I was wondering about these resistors..... Where do I get them from? How and where do I install them? How do I know what resistance to get? I'm sorry but I'm not very good with electronics..
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry about bringing this back from the dead but I have been real busy... I was wondering about these resistors..... Where do I get them from? How and where do I install them? How do I know what resistance to get? I'm sorry but I'm not very good with electronics..
One example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-2...#ht_1325wt_959
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:34 PM

Are they the black cz4a LED tails? I installed them on my evo x and ran into some problems with some warning censors coming on.
My asc would turn off by itself after driving for a few mins, and another warning came on looked like zig zags with a car in front right in the center console.
The problem was I didnt install the bulbs properly so my brake light didnt light up and other lights didnt work as well.
To fix the problem i just took the bulbs out and switched the position (like turn the bulb 180) and put them back in. after that they worked perfectly fine, and no warning censors came on again and everything worked fine.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Webman
This looks very useful... is this the exact item I need to fix my sensors? Is there different wattages out there? I know about that fast blinker issue but I am not having that exact problem. But if it is the same concept then this seems like the fix.

The tails I have aren't the black ones but the smoked, yes. I know the exact issue you are talking about as well, because I had the same issue when installing them. My brake lights wouldn't work and some other random lights wouldn't work and I ended up rotating the plugs to fix it. But rotating them didn't fix this issue.... I appreciate the input though.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

All a resistor does is take additional amperage and turn it into heat. I imagine that it would provide the fix to your issue.

Quick Reply: LED Tails = Cruise Control fail...