Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to know.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiretap
Please don't put HID's in a non-projector housing. Save the Evo X from falling into the cheap-o doing it wrong ricer category.
Explain to us why it's "wrong". While HIDs have generally been put in cars using projectors, it's absolutely untrue that all cars that have HID, use projectors. A great example is the 2007 Toyota Prius. Has HID headlights, but it is not a projector setup. Subaru now provides projectors on their higher end cars, but they are not HID bulbs.

So, I ask again, how is it wrong to put HID bulbs into a non-projector housing? I get what you're saying, that it's GHETTO when someone puts a purple 8000k bulb into a honda and calls it HID, but it isn't "wrong"
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing to worry about is glare. If you put it in a non projector housing, you need to make sure your lights reflect up. Because the halogen vs HID lamps could be different lengths, the reflection might be different. There are way to fix this if you cannot adjust your housing, which are glare shields. Some HID kits come with them now.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
Explain to us why it's "wrong". While HIDs have generally been put in cars using projectors, it's absolutely untrue that all cars that have HID, use projectors. A great example is the 2007 Toyota Prius. Has HID headlights, but it is not a projector setup. Subaru now provides projectors on their higher end cars, but they are not HID bulbs.

So, I ask again, how is it wrong to put HID bulbs into a non-projector housing? I get what you're saying, that it's GHETTO when someone puts a purple 8000k bulb into a honda and calls it HID, but it isn't "wrong"
Because it's the trend of what ricers do. The housings of the cars (like some older Lincoln's and the Prius) have a special reflector housing that is engineered specifically for those HID applications where it does not cause glare.

But go ahead and put some HID's in a reflector housing that wasn't designed for them so you can blind the decent motorists on the road, cause yourself to have scattered light output, have horrible visibility in adverse weather conditions, etc. It's all good as long as you have the cool looking colors.

If you want to talk about projectors on cars that don't have HID's, like my brother's 2007 Impreza, that isn't designed for HID's either. It has a bat wing in front of where the HID bulb would normally go, so that when you put a HID bulb in, it causes a huge shadow and upward reflection of light.

Last edited by wiretap; Mar 16, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

I am one of those people that installed the SSS headlights into my base GSR and everything does plug in and work. HOWEVER, as mentioned you have to keep the headlights constantly on because the non-SSS package is setup up to power the main headlight as the DRL, so it sends a low voltage signal to your HID and it flickers for about 2 seconds and turns off.

I have been looking for a way around it, the wiring is the same so thats not the problem. I had the Mitsu MUTT tool hooked up to my car and there is an option in there to switch the car from NON-HID to HID but its locked and we couldnt do anything about it.

I have a friend looking into this who works for Mitsu and hopefully we can come up with a reasonable solution to make this work.

If you plan to put HIDs into your base-model GSR expect the same problem, youll have to run with your lights on all the time. I would rather switch to a brighter bulb then go with an aftermarket HID kit.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoIXcencal83
That is so cheap of mitsu. A $30k + with no projectors!
There is still a difference between projectors designed for halogen bulbs and projectors designed for HIDs. You might think you are getting "better" reults if you added a HID kit to a halogen projector equipped car, but there would still be inferior to a OEM setup because of the difference in cutoff, focal point, optics, etc.

I have a 6000K kit in my Eclipse with ebay halogen projectors and compared to the OEM setup in my Evo its just no where near as good. Its better then the basically two BIC lighters worth of light the projectors gave out with the H4 bulbs they used to have, but its a bit on the ricey side. I would like to cut in real halogen projectors some day and make it very useful.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pstl_pete
I am one of those people that installed the SSS headlights into my base GSR and everything does plug in and work. HOWEVER, as mentioned you have to keep the headlights constantly on because the non-SSS package is setup up to power the main headlight as the DRL, so it sends a low voltage signal to your HID and it flickers for about 2 seconds and turns off.

I have been looking for a way around it, the wiring is the same so thats not the problem. I had the Mitsu MUTT tool hooked up to my car and there is an option in there to switch the car from NON-HID to HID but its locked and we couldnt do anything about it.

I have a friend looking into this who works for Mitsu and hopefully we can come up with a reasonable solution to make this work.

If you plan to put HIDs into your base-model GSR expect the same problem, youll have to run with your lights on all the time. I would rather switch to a brighter bulb then go with an aftermarket HID kit.
I linked the solution a few posts up.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rls-works.html
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pstl_pete
...I had the Mitsu MUTT tool hooked up to my car and there is an option in there to switch the car from NON-HID to HID but its locked and we couldnt do anything about it....
Let me know if you are able to unlock that, I would rather do that then mess around with the fuse box. Thanks

I linked the solution a few posts up.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rls-works.html
Thanks for the link wiretap.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I had my dealership try the MUTIII tool as well. It was unable to turn off DRL's on my non-SSS car. I'll be doing the wiring work-around I linked in the near future.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I had my dealership try the MUTIII tool as well. It was unable to turn off DRL's on my non-SSS car. I'll be doing the wiring work-around I linked in the near future.
Hmm Guess that will be the way to go. I'll probably just wait an get the projector housings and be done with it. Curious though, does anyone have any pictures of HID's with halogen headlamps?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:15 PM

well im pulling the trigger on custom headlights, im going to have cincity designs retrofit me a custom pair of HID headlights out of the Base GSR headlights, should be sooooo sick.

Its gonna be dual projectors :-)

Last edited by Fidget253; Mar 18, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

ewww... the non-projector headlights look horrible...
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonestar
I also have non-SSS GSR, I've installed OEM projector+HID and I think it's the only way to go. They plug straight in and long as you leave the headlight switch in the on position, the lights turn off with the car, when you open the door, and they turn on on start up with no problems whatsoever.
I might be doing this soon.

So its just a straight swap?

What do you mean by having to leave the headlights on all the time?

I do that by default anyways.. but you make it seem like they dont work if you dont leave them on 100%?

EDIT - read above posts, ok you can ignore this
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

By leaving them on all the time, he means he still has DRL enabled on his non-SSS car. That means it sends a lower voltage square wave to the headlight in DRL mode which causes the HID's to flicker. To solve that he as left the headlight switch in the 'on' position so it feeds them it's full DC constant voltage. The ways around that are to use a special harness with a capacitor & relay, or use the link I had posted in post #37 which disables the DRL's completely so you can drive around without the HID's on and just flip your headlights to the 'on' position when you want them turned on.

Quick Reply: HID conversion