Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Replica Do-Luck Trunk Already being sold on Socal...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awilli1715k
Mazda was copyrights on there parts if I'm not mistaken. My boyfriend had things go wrong with his rx8 and had to get parts from the dealer cuz they were the only ones who had it. 1500 for a catalyic converter is insane. things went wrong had to go to the Mazda dealer and get taken in the butt cuz there the only ones who have there parts. Which Is ridiculous so having other options isn't always a bad ideA.
tell him to sell it... RX-8's were/are a complete waste of a car... you could beat one on the drag strip with a minivan.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
...i personally bought the frp version of the authentic do-luck trunk...
So you have a plastic trunk lid? I'm not knocking, that just seems crazy (I realize a lot of people run similar pieces).

Do you know what crash testing has occurred with FRP trunks in place? I'd be curious to know (and actually see) what happens in a wreck. I realize the trunk lid is not keeping you from death but it could be an integrated piece of a crumple zone. I might also be worried of a shattering piece of plastic in an event like that, if indeed that is how it would react in that situation.

FWIW, people that buy knockoff pieces aren't trying to roll like they're running the original. They just want their car to look a specific way and if an option is available for cheaper then they will go for it.

For those with the "holier than thou" sentiments, everyone runs knockoff bits. Ever used an item such as ibuprofen, band-aids, etc.?

*edit - looks like someone on the socal forum got wind of this thread, and there are good points. Namely, the start of this thread has informed a lot of people about these parts, and if you don't like it, don't buy it. I also can appreciate what someone in this current thread stated about different market segments. There will always be people that buy originals and those that buy cheaper parts, whether they are knockoff, used/damaged, etc.

Last edited by yahu; Apr 3, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

You get what you pay for -- bottom line. I just find it hilarious that people are willing to run cheap knockoffs on their 30K+ car.

Also can we quit reposting stuff like this? it's really tiring to see it come up every month or so.

The people who want the genuine article will have no issues paying (and it's not a RIDICULOUS amount of money like some of you guys are making it out to be btw) and the cheap knockoff buyers will just have that -- a second rate product on their car, but as long as they saved a few $$$ they'll be happy.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Didn't ford mass produce cars, then knockoffs came along. The rest his history.
Rexpeed relies on knockoffs to survive

edit never mind what I just said. It doesn't matter
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

@ Jaydub - personally, I wouldn't pay 1/30th of the price of my car for a piece that adds no functionality, but that's me. I find it funny when people refer to our "$30k car" like it is some magical beast. $30k is not that much for a car and we aren't that far removed from a $20k civic, so let's not put the base price on too much of a pedestal.

*edit - besides, we let put this SHlT paint on our "$30k car!"

Last edited by yahu; Apr 3, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
Nope, I tried to return a CF trunk they sent me with a ton of weave imperfections. Somehow it was damaged in shipping, even though the box wasn't dented or anything...

Now I am at the mercy of UPS to see if they will warranty it. Been going at this for way too long...
Oh I think I saw that in a thread. I thought they gave u another one. Sorry to hear that cuz that's messed up. All that money u pat for that trunk it should have a lifetime warranty lol
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

i always thought the duckbill trunk had no real r&d put into it. for performance gains at least
Old Apr 3, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
I completely disagree with you, sorry. If I go out and create an original product and I try to sell it for an exorbitant price, and someone else comes along and builds a similar products, and sells it for less, and outsells me, well hey, that's BUSINESS. Do you see Bill Gates crying in a corner when Apple releases an OS that is better than windows?

I don't believe that you always get what you pay for in the automotive arena. I believe that's the rule of thumb, but it doesn't always happen that way. I pay a ridiculous amount of money for OEM parts, but then can spend 1/3 that on an aftermarket part that is better.

The doluck trunk may be better constructed, or better painted, or better in some way over the replica, but has anyone proven that fact? And besides, how do you PROVE that the trunk is in fact a replica of the doluck? How do you know that some dude out of the billions of people on this planet, didn't have a similar idea at the same time. Whole lot of ASSumptions going on here.
The originals are stamped with Do-Luck and a number. Mine is 23.

The difference is finish and fitment.

Notice how mine lines up perfectly in every aspect (including body lines)? Even the taillights are perfectly aligned. The weave is flawless, and the coating is perfect.

Now, take a look at this piece (replica):

Look how the trunk can't even be properly aligned. The carbon fiber doesn't even come to the edging. It stops a few mm in. Also, it looks like the top rear of the trunk doesn't flow correctly with the body line in the car. It is thicker.

I personally would not buy any of the replicas. I can't stand poor fitment. It makes the piece look like trash and is a waste of money. I would much rather spend the extra money and have something that was constructed perfectly and looks flawless.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

i cant stand poor weaves
Old Apr 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree that it isn't insane to pay for quality, especially carbon fiber stuff. Do-Luc is good, knock offs are crap. Some people care, some don't. The poor man buys twice.
it works both ways tho really
HKS spark plugs are just rebranded NGKs at twice the price.
Greddy Spark plugs are rebranded Denso's, twice the price.
These companies don't have our best interests in mind, it's about the money. It's tempting to get romantic about some sort of fellowship of car enthusiasts, but that isn't true. That gets you paying double and forgetting that a tube is a tube.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awilli1715k
Oh I think I saw that in a thread. I thought they gave u another one. Sorry to hear that cuz that's messed up. All that money u pat for that trunk it should have a lifetime warranty lol
Nope, they didn't give me another one since mine was somehow damaged in the return. Lol on the warranty bit, at this point UPS doesn't even want to warranty it. Damn I just hope I hear some news soon.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141

More pictures of girl in the pictures?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That girl is my mom.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

lol @ companies that cry about competition. It doesn't matter if someone makes even a lesser quality replica.. if people buy that poorer constructed replica, that means they saw it as good enough for the money versus how much more they'd spend on a Do-luck. If they are mis-aligned by a few millimeters, maybe they can make it fit with a little bit of work and call it a day. If the original Do-Luck manufacturer wants to cry about that, then they have two choices.. (a) whine/cry and go out of business because they're offended and possibly selling less trunks, or (b) lower the price on the Do-Luck back within a range that the potential replica buyers will get sucked into the higher quality original. Since they've come out and chose option "a", that tells me I don't want to purchase from that company because they don't know how to run a business and they could be very unreliable in the future.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
More pictures of girl in the pictures?

Quick Reply: Replica Do-Luck Trunk Already being sold on Socal...