Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Should I stress this issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I stress this issue

Hey guys, I'm new to "The Dark Side". After 10 years... i've finally been able to get myself an Evo. I want to take really good care of this car and enjoy it as much as possible (esp since i'm paying a pretty dime for it). My reason for this post is, instead of power modding right out of the gate, I wanted to do a few other things and wanted to share my concerns and get feed back.

Currently i'm in SoCal and it's starting to heat up, so what I'm thinking about doing to keep drive-ability pleasant is the following...

Upgraded oil cooler
Replace intercooler pipes
Replace tranny fluid
Shortshifter with replacement bushing (I have the notchy/grind in my gear shifts)
Turbo timer - allow engine to cool
Heat wrap pipes (concerned about heat soaking)
And get a tri-gauge (A/F, oil temp, and boost gauge)

What do you guys think? I know the cars are built to hold a lot of power and that their engine's and trannys are strong but I still want to take precautions to take care of my Evo in it's infancy.

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

What up bro, welcome. I also just got my first EVO, gotta say wicked stoked. I'm in the same boat about not wanting to kill the life of the car with crazy mods. I don't know the answer to all your Q's but I'll chime in on what I've gathered so far (anyone feel free to correct me, still a evo newb).

I plan on doing the intercooler pipes too but as a first mod I don't think its worth it. Wait till you start doing power mods.

I'm still looking around at the tranny fluid as well. I plan on changing that as soon as I get some more answers on the topic.

Short shifter, helllz yah (thanks TWM!. Deff night and day, you will love it. I'd also check out redlinegoods.com for a shift boot as well. I don't know about you but I couldn't stand that stock cheap leather one.

Turbo timer is a waste of money, if the car really needed one it would have came stock. Just use your judgment when turning the car off. If you've been boosting hard don't pull over and park, sit for 30 secs.

Don't worry about the gauges until you start power mods. Deff get a AFR and boost to start.

Where in SD do you live?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

I think most of that stuff is for your personal taste. I don't think it's gonna make drivability any more pleasant than stock except the short shifter
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Zerocool- I'm in Oceanside during the week some days, but usually right outside of mission valley on the weekend. I'm in SD all weekend. PM me if u know of any meets or events. I'm def gunna swap shortshifters, and thanks for the boot site. I hate the black leather too. I was thinking turbo timer cuz of the temps during the day. I was doing research about killing engines while the oil is still really hot, hence the upgraded oil cooler and turbo timer. Like I said, this Evo is all mine, I'm paying for it all so I wanna take good care of it and preserve it. I already have an intake and I'm waiting for an exhaust then ill install with a flash. I'm think RRE exhaust. Inexpensive and I talked to the guys at the shop, really cool guys.

Please more input on OP. And anyone with RRE exhaust, feedback? Recommendations...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Cool man, I work in carlsbad and live in La Jolla. Haven't gone to any meets but I'll let you know. I'll shot you a PM with my number if you want to meet up. So far I have a UR DP/CBE, AEM intake, Cobb stg 1 OTS, TWM SS, and a Clarion Navi (don't get a metra dash kit, they suck).
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Don't think you need the turbo timer; if i recall correctly many people don't recommend them for the X, it's unnecessary.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

right on. I guess i'm just used to turbo timers on tuned cars. I used to have a modded 96 GSX, had one on that, and then on my tc. I guess if ppl arent recommending them for the X then I shouldn't spend the $$$ on it. One less thing I have t worry about.

I'm not familiar with the metra dash kit... I was thinking about going with Rexpeeds' carbon fiber gauge cluster for the center dash. Is that the same kit?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

just one snapped off the droid. The DAY AFTER i bought it, it rained in san diego. Frickin BS. I'm gunna wash it and snap some with my D-SLR, i'll post soon. I'm actually looking forward to some CF parts from the g/f and family since the b-day is next weekend.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

hahahah Dude it was raining when I bought mine. I have to go back up to south coast to have them detail it still. I've got not joke a million tiny yellow dots all over a white car. You can't see them unless you are really close and really ****.

The metra dash kit was for the double din stereo I put in. I posted a install if you want to see how aweful it is. If you plan upgrading your stereo save your money and get the JDM dash kit, they run 245.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
FWIW, my opinions below:

Upgraded oil cooler- Unnecessary, don't bother with this.

Replace intercooler pipes- Upper helps a lot in power, lower does not. Definitely replace upper.

Replace tranny fluid- Worthwhile if you have grinds.

Shortshifter with replacement bushing- Don't do it. If you do start having more problems with notchiness, this is a place the dealer can lay blame, especially the short shifter, as they can claim shifter cable stress.

Turbo timer - These were the rage 20 years ago, but completely useless today. There are many better places to spend money, and possibilities of problems are more likely WITH turbo timers than without them. If you just got done reefing on your car really hard, sit in it for a few seconds idling before shutting off. If you don't have time, then don't drive the car hard the last 2-3 minutes before shutting it off.

Heat wrap pipes- Wrapping pipes are not going to noticably help heat soak, especially ones you can access. If you really want to drop temps, a front mount intercooler is key, but only after you've done other mods to warrant it.

And get a tri-gauge (A/F, oil temp, and boost gauge)- To me, boost gauge is essential. EGT gauge is good, but I wouldn't worry about A/F gauge, get a wideband, a Tactrix cable with ECUflash, and Evoscan and log all the time. You can see pretty much any paramater you want doing that.

Enjoy the car.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:38 AM

A free flowing exhaust would help with cooling as well since it would drop your EGT's, that, with a nice CAI, and hard pipes would 1. give a nice performance gain (with tuning), and 2 increase the life of your turbo by keeping IAT's and EGT's down.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are awesome. Ill look into prices. I don't want to install E/I without a tune, unless its safe. You guys justified everything really well for me. So I should def start with some gauges, upper piping, intake exhaust and tune.

Another question.... I know cams are good to swap after basic mods, what about pulley kits? When I was considering a WRX I was reading lightweight pulleys really help with quicker spooling of the turbo. Any feedback, experience, or opinions?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
And get a tri-gauge (A/F, oil temp, and boost gauge)- To me, boost gauge is essential. EGT gauge is good, but I wouldn't worry about A/F gauge, get a wideband, a Tactrix cable with ECUflash, and Evoscan and log all the time. You can see pretty much any paramater you want doing that.

Enjoy the car.
Can you elaborate on the wideband, tactrix cable, and evoscan. Never heard of those. What's the $ like? I'd look it up but I'm on my phone in a class.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruSlide
Can you elaborate on the wideband, tactrix cable, and evoscan. Never heard of those. What's the $ like? I'd look it up but I'm on my phone in a class.
http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/

this software lets you monitor engine characteristics as you drive. its a very good alternative to dedicated gauges. its $25 for the software with lifetime updates and aroun 400 for the gps navigator with the evoscan software on it. I was using athe software for the last 2 years. just ordered the gps a few days back, will put up a review once I have it.

http://www.tactrix.com/

this is a cable that will allow you to connect to the ECU. You'll need this cable for evoscan to work as well. the cable/connector is called the OpenPort 2.0 for the 2008+ vehicles.you can also download software that lets you download your ECU Software and tune it and upload it back up (Basically tune the car).
the cable runs for around 200, the supporting software is free for lifetime. The software is calles ECUFlash

Wideband

This is an oxygen sensor that needs to be installed for tuning the car. there are several manufacturers. here are some of the popular ones that most folks here on the forums use. They usually run for around USD200.

1) Innovate (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php)
2) AEM (http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideba...el-systems-15/)

Usually, one needs to weld a hole into their DP just before the Catalytic converter and install it. When tuning, this will help you see if your tune is too lean or too rich by measuring the oxygen content in the post combustion and pre cat exhaust fumes. you will need EvoScan or software provided by the manufacturer of the wideband sensor to monitor this.

hope this helps.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

^Dude! Zeitgeist is AWESOME! That movie is insane.

Anyway... I wouldn't need an A/F gauge if I had evoscan right? Another question is, since my car is a brand new 2010 X with the Nav system built in, can evoscan run off that nav system? I'm definitely not going to take out the stock nav system and install an aftermarket one just to utilize evoscan...