Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Jack Points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack Points

I looked under the car to try and find the marked points along the rail that runs next to the rocker panels and I found 4 distinct areas. The owner's manual seems to point to the outer most ones but they don't mention the inner ones at all. Are they meant for jack stands? I tried searching on here but only the outer ones seem to be mentioned (along with the central front and back ones).

Every car I've owned, I've used the inner frame rails (the ones that are about 3" wide and about 1' in from the car. Normally, I would have used them without 2nd thought but the fact that nobody else here seems to has me concerned. Why doesn't anybody use them?

Last edited by westmc; Apr 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used the middle lifting points before when I needed to support the front of the car on jack stands. You can use them for lifting, but don't use them for jack stands as the car can teeter.

If you're lifting the front, the manual says to use the lifting point on the front support member which is shrouded by the plastic cover underneath the car (wtf.) I cut a hole in mine to have access to it, otherwise you have to squeeze underneath there and un-bolt/pull a dozen fasteners to get it off. For those lowered more than 1" in the front this won't be an option without having the car on ramps or 2x4s.

Last edited by stokEd; Apr 9, 2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: missing werds
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stokEd

If you're lifting the front, the manual says to use the lifting point on the front support member which is shrouded by the plastic cover underneath the car (wtf.) I cut a hole in mine to have access to it, otherwise you have to squeeze underneath there and un-bolt/pull a dozen fasteners to get it off. For those lowered more than 1" in the front this won't be an option without having the car on ramps or 2x4s.
I just did that last weekend when jacking up my car to change the oil in my car. What a PITA it was to pull that cover off... I may cut a hole in mine next time.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^dude just jack it up on the passenger side enough to get under it and upscrew the access panel to the drain plug and filter.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
^dude just jack it up on the passenger side enough to get under it and upscrew the access panel to the drain plug and filter.
My jack barely fit under the side skirts. I always use jack stands too. The only jack point I found was in the way of the jack stand location.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:02 AM

on all my cars i have always just used the rail that runs across the whole car, im not sure how to better explain this, but honestly as long as when you are jacking the car up, if you make sure its not bending anything then you should be fine
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fidget253
on all my cars i have always just used the rail that runs across the whole car, im not sure how to better explain this, but honestly as long as when you are jacking the car up, if you make sure its not bending anything then you should be fine
My little 3 ton floor jack couldn't make it to the rail on either side of the car due to the side skirts. My only choice was to jack up from the front. My car is currently at stock height, so when I do the suspension it will be even worse
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your car is lowered, drive up on some boards first, then you can fit the jack under/behind the side skirt where the factory recommended jack location is located.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:14 AM

you can get a low profile jack for around 100 bucks. they easily fit under the car, im lowered 1 inch and my floor jack still fits
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:16 AM

BTW this is the jack i have http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...112&zmap=67045 but there is a craftman for 59.99 that should work also :-) check it out at sears.com