Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AWD/FWD to RWD Conversions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD/FWD to RWD Conversions?

I'm not An evo owner but I do have a question for you guys. I want something different. Looking for 300HP out of my 09 lancer. Got that pretty much planned out. But before taking that plunge I wanted to so something first. So here's my question-

How hard is it to convert an awd to a Rwd platform?

I've heard people say its as easy as disconnecting the front drive shafts and one guy with a subie just rebuilt his center differential. What's really behind a rwd conversion without having to flip my engine around?
I know that I would have to beef up the drive shaft and rearend.
I know its probably senseless to most if not all of you but I would really love to explore the option especially if I could salvage a RalliArt or evo .
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:15 PM

+1! I want to know this too!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what the underside of the 09 Lancer looks like but I'm assuming you need a recess for the driveshaft to go first. Then you'd have to source a rear axle w/ diff, driveshaft, and tranny off a X/RA after you've checked it fits.

=\ that's just my guess tho. post it up if you figure out; that sounds interesting.

[Edit] i didn't read the last sentence sorry. lol I think you should go ask RMR how they did the conversion for their EvoIX for Tokyo Drift. I'd imagine it's a bit of work and DIY/patience/troubleshooting but doable if you're gonna get a RA or Evo to do it on. the Lancers i'm not so sure about. but the key for the lancers is a drive shaft recess...after that it's a matter of if you wanna go through the trouble.

Last edited by CRVdrftR05; Apr 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:20 AM

sounds interesting to me too. that way i can drift my evo just like team orange. lol
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:34 AM

I was planning on sourcing a drivetrain from a RalliArt or Evo. Also the gastank would need to be swapped for a RA/Evo tank. Also it looks like Mitsu was trying to cover up the mounts for all the extra RA/Evo equipment but did a poor job at it. I was just trying to make sure that I was thinking right on the subject.
MORE input please!