Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Modified Stock Airbox for K&N Cone Filter w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a good idea, but is there any proof that you gained power using the cone filter vs a high flow panel filter?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by c_reber
Looks like a good idea, but is there any proof that you gained power using the cone filter vs a high flow panel filter?
yea this, it ur still using stock piping, i don't think you would have gained much more power than a filter panel. neat mod though.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

No its aftermarket inlet pipe, i cant get the numbers now, but i will later. Getting fp red and stuff installed. Ill just switch back to hiflow panel and compare dyno
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Me too, Assuming both versions had Intake piping , going by the size of the cone filter 4inch diameter and 6 inch length, if you unwrapped it, I dont see any more surface area for air to pass then the K&N drop-in, if anything it may be less. (each flap on the panel filter is much deeper then the cone also) Is there a charactoristic of a cone filter that flows better?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Surface area only really matters in drop-ins imo. Cone filters have minimal to no pressure drop and increase airflow with a quicker access to the intake tube. If panels were the way to go, then we would see panel filter intakes instead of cone filter intakes. The point is my tune was with a hiflow panel filter from Perrin, swapped on the k&N cone modified airbox intake to fit it so no heat soak and was surpassing airflow limit tables in every gear, that right there shows its flowing more air then a panel filter. Alot of panels are doubled up also, which creates obstacles and turbulence in airflow. Only downfall is youll get less filtration with cones as gauze elements are usually only a 16th in size, compared to 2 inches in other panel filters.

Last edited by ZWingerRyRy; Apr 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

that perrin looks like a brillo pad,lol, I know large cone filters would flow more, I'm comparing surface area of K&N drop in to your 4x6 cone. the 4 x 6 does not seem big to me. and no the K&N drop in and cone are same thickness in gauze elements you are comparing totally different filter, the perrin
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

i never said k&n drop in wasnt bigger in filtering element, all k&n use 16th gauze filtering.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

so this intake makes the BOV sounds better?very nice.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

still i dont know he was able to attached it there. there is only a very small part in there to hold it.

Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
While you did a good job curing the idle MAF issue on an exposed WAI, you are highly restricting injestion opportunity for your conical filter due to the limited airflow potential of the stock airbox.

I'd lay money this mod will flow slightly less than a K&N drop in filter, which can be easily proven with a turbo that will outflow either setup, a competent Ecuflash tuner, and a dyno.

You'll have to do more than swap and compare runs, because the tune will be optimized for whatever goes first. Custom tunes on both will show the truth.

I haven't seen this on a 4B11 yet, but I've seen something similar on a 4G63 get whipped on the dyno by a stock airbox and a K&N drop in, hence my opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:42 PM

No way, I disagree. I would make it work just like the sport bikes. RAM AIR and pressurize the box. This is something I believe will work well with the right engineering.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

While saying on topic. This wasn't a test. It was a idea for people that don't intend on spending +300 on a intake without heat soak. I'd wish people would stop debating on power as nobody has proof either or so don't assume unless proven. Airflow/torque limits have been raised to support the cone now. Ill get a dyno out before i switch to the red since this thread has changed to a debate. Jebus
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

^+1
no tune = no gains
you change the stock filter without a proper tune you will waste your money
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

it's all well and good to debate whether it will make power or not, but i think the point of the mod is to keep the stealth look, and it's something different.

I think this will make more power than stock and if that's all he wants then that's good enough for him. I don't think it will make that much more power than stock because it's still on stock piping which is the main restriction left once the filter panel is changed to a cone type. but it's just a different mod and could probably be done for less than a $50 panel filter.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice mod... I like it.

Quick Reply: Modified Stock Airbox for K&N Cone Filter w/Pics