Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Modified Stock Airbox for K&N Cone Filter w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
While you did a good job curing the idle MAF issue on an exposed WAI, you are highly restricting injestion opportunity for your conical filter due to the limited airflow potential of the stock airbox.

I'd lay money this mod will flow slightly less than a K&N drop in filter, which can be easily proven with a turbo that will outflow either setup, a competent Ecuflash tuner, and a dyno.

You'll have to do more than swap and compare runs, because the tune will be optimized for whatever goes first. Custom tunes on both will show the truth.

I haven't seen this on a 4B11 yet, but I've seen something similar on a 4G63 get whipped on the dyno by a stock airbox and a K&N drop in, hence my opinion.
I think the cure for the restrictive box is to drill 1/4 in holes on the right side (non engine side) this will make the box non-restrictive.

my only problem is the small size of the cone filter, back to my point if we stretched a k&n drop-in out and stretched that k&ncone out they would be similar surface area. why not just put a k&n drop-in and be done

now cut a big hole in the back of the stock box and add a monter K&N filter you would have something
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bouncintiga
it's all well and good to debate whether it will make power or not, but i think the point of the mod is to keep the stealth look, and it's something different.

I think this will make more power than stock and if that's all he wants then that's good enough for him. I don't think it will make that much more power than stock because it's still on stock piping which is the main restriction left once the filter panel is changed to a cone type. but it's just a different mod and could probably be done for less than a $50 panel filter.
Piping is Perrin its not stock
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strocse
I think the cure for the restrictive box is to drill 1/4 in holes on the right side (non engine side) this will make the box non-restrictive.

my only problem is the small size of the cone filter, back to my point if we stretched a k&n drop-in out and stretched that k&ncone out they would be similar surface area. why not just put a k&n drop-in and be done

now cut a big hole in the back of the stock box and add a monter K&N filter you would have something
Anything open on any side of the box will create heatsoak no matter what. As long as a open element is in the 10's engine bay nothing will prevent you sucking in engine heat. All those heat shield mods do is prevent idle issues for the fans blowing at it.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

this is a good alternative mod... and cheap at that too.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
Its a 2inch flange meaning length of the flange. The inside diameter of the flange is 2.75", the maf pipe inside diameter is 2.5", the other side is 3". A full 3" maf pipe with 3" inside diameter flange would benefit. A 3" inside flange diameter going over a 2.5" maf inside diameter would make no difference as the maf housing would be restricting it anyways. Only company that makes a full 3" intake is AMS to my knowledge, but ill save my $350+.
I just saw this thread.. AGP makes a full 3 inch intake. I run it on my car and its great.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Regardless of the filter's flow, you're likely to run out of MAF on a Red...unless you're going with a mild pump tune. The stock MAF housing is too small.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

nice great mod ! thx for sharing op do keep us posted on the diff's before and after.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

looking good. I took off the rear piece of the box and just bolted on a cone filter to the stock inlet tubing