Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

SSS Package - Xenon Headlights vs. HID headlights, noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSS Package - Xenon Headlights vs. HID headlights, noticeable difference?

I believe the SSS package has better headlights (crisp blue Xenons?) vs. the base GSR which has only HID's?

At night, are the SSS headlights that much better over the HID's, and if so, can you install Xenon's into a HID housing, or is that too difficult b/c of different ballasts, etc.?

Lot of Evo X's coming into market used, and many with SSS, so I was wondering which ones are better. Thanks.

Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

HIDs are Xenon lamps hoss. Base is halogen I believe, just like grandma's accord. Go SSS/HID, you won't regret it. Anytime I drive a car without the HIDs I feel like I'm driving in darkness.

There are conversion kits you can do I believe, Im sure someone else will have more info on that aspect.

Last edited by CC16; Apr 21, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1

I have the SSS... the base halogen headlights suck in comparison even though the SSS HID's arent all that great compared to others on the market.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The halogens are pretty weak.
The X SSS is unique in that bright and dim are both HIDs, unlike the VIII and IX.

To me, the HIDs alone are worth the price of the SSS package. The wing, FAST keys, and stereo are just little bonuses.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I had standard halogens on my IX and it was aweful. You can barely see. The difference is dramatic. If you do get the base GSR, you can do what I did with my Evo IX. Get the Phillips Silver Star (I think) halogen bulbs. They are a bit brighter and fairly cheap to buy. Or check the Evom vendors on HID kits to retrofit.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Xenon gas is present in both halogen and HID bulbs installed on the Evo. The gas in the halogen version is only made to produce a different color, and brighter light.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:21 AM

Definitely get the HIDs. An S2000 was the first car I ever had with HIDs and I loved it. Then I sold it when I bought my house and drove an Accord for a while and hated the headlights. Now I have the HIDs in my Evo and I'll never own another car without them.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can you find an HID kit or a complete install for the Base GSR? I def want HID lights esp in my area of Jersey, Deer are everywhere and I want to see.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:15 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, going with an aftermarket HID kit in the NON SSS reflector housing won't give you the same cutoff and beam pattern as the factory SSS projector headlight housing will.

Go SSS, and don't think twice!

- Jason
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

I think the original poster is confused about this.

"HID" and "XENON" are basically one in the same. An HID capsule, or bulb as you may refer to it gives you that uber bright light blue/purply light. You can get what are called "conversion kits" that will fit into your base model GSR, but they don't last long unless you get quality ones.

There are reflector type light housings -- ones that you commonly see on any car, where a bulb shines and is reflected by a mirror.

Then there are projector type light housings -- these are much more advanced and use a set of lenses and other devices to give an even spread of light without blinding oncomming traffic.

There ARE cars that have projector lenses without HID lights in them, like the mazda 3 or some subarus. There are also stock vehicles that have HID lights with the reflector setup, like some volvos and lincolns.

The best setup is where you have the projector lense and HID capsule together. It gives you an insanely bright light, while giving you a nice even spread of it on the road all while cutting off the top of the light area as to not blind oncoming traffic
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Man up, *****! MAN UP.

Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Those would look awesome........on my jeep.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

It looks stupid as hell, which is why I love it.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Get Rad
Where can you find an HID kit or a complete install for the Base GSR? I def want HID lights esp in my area of Jersey, Deer are everywhere and I want to see.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ke-glides.html
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah.. HID's in halogen housings, so he could glare the deer to death, rofl.

Quick Reply: SSS Package - Xenon Headlights vs. HID headlights, noticeable difference?