Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why the hell doesn't the X do something as simple as...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010 | 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Why the hell doesn't the X do something as simple as...

charge your phone while the car is off? Is there something I can switch or do to change this? I think it's one of the dumbest lack of features on the entire car.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure, but I feel your pain since Ive been in the situation I need to charge it and dont want to sit in the car for an hour.

Last edited by Kurt; Apr 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

uhh, that's cause the lighter is on switched 12v like most newer cars. If you want it to be hot while off, you need to switch it to a constant 12v source. Or, wire in a dedicated charger, it will also need to be off an always hot 12v source.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

That's so retards don't run their battery down. Its another feature like the tpms.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

I agree. This is one feature that a lot of cars lack for whatever reason. You could always just rewire it so its connected to something that is always powered
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
uhh, that's cause the lighter is on switched 12v like most newer cars. If you want it to be hot while off, you need to switch it to a constant 12v source. Or, wire in a dedicated charger, it will also need to be off an always hot 12v source.
uhhh, no, most newer cars have a dedicated place to charge a phone or whatever else you may need to charge while the car sits off. Having to wire in a dedicated hot source just to charge a cell phone is just down right stupid if you ask me.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

The base lancer there's an extra jack inside the center console compartment that lets you charge even without the key turned over! Evo has no extra jack inside???
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Yep, this is exactly right. You won't find many cars with lighter outlets powered by anything but ACC power.

There's a perfect spot to cut and put in your own constant 12v plug right by the handle to the arm rest cubby hole, towards the passenger side. Pop that thing out, cut out a circle and put in a 12v outlet and wire it up to a constant 12V source. You can even use one of those add-a-circuit fuse taps so all you'd need to do is route a wire from a fuse.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
uhhh, no, most newer cars have a dedicated place to charge a phone or whatever else you may need to charge while the car sits off. Having to wire in a dedicated hot source just to charge a cell phone is just down right stupid if you ask me.

Uhh, i said on most newer cars the lighter is not hot all the time. If the base lancer has a dedicated port, you can probably retrofit that to the X.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
The base lancer there's an extra jack inside the center console compartment that lets you charge even without the key turned over! Evo has no extra jack inside???
no, which is very sad.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Yep, this is exactly right. You won't find many cars with lighter outlets powered by anything but ACC power.

There's a perfect spot to cut and put in your own constant 12v plug right by the handle to the arm rest cubby hole, towards the passenger side. Pop that thing out, cut out a circle and put in a 12v outlet and wire it up to a constant 12V source. You can even use one of those add-a-circuit fuse taps so all you'd need to do is route a wire from a fuse.
i'm not quite sure where you are talking about... do you have a pic of that area by chance?
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Nm

Last edited by charon2123; Apr 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Nothing
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Because it's a ****ty car with a cool motor and a fun drivetrain.
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
Because it's a ****ty car with a cool motor and a fun drivetrain.
yeah it is... if one even attempts to try to find half of the performance abilities for less... or even a little more money they are fooling themselves save maybe the STI, but man it sure does suck when it comes to dumb a@@ little things like a simple ability to charge a phone... is mitsu really THAT worried about a phone killing the battery?
Old Apr 22, 2010 | 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

^^ not really. Like it or not, everything adds up, and the reason we get the car for the prices we do is because they keep all that stuff out of the equation. Those who need one will always find a way. I just checked and there is no constant 12v to cig lighter port on my GS300, Camry or the Highlander(relative's).

Many cars did not provide this until recently. So I guess future incarnations of the evo will have it.