Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Early Evo X owners...

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early Evo X owners...

I really want to buy another Evo after selling my last two IX's a couple years ago. I have finally convinced myself to forego the beloved pre-owned IX and go pickup a new 2010 X (test drove one yesterday). But now, with so many 08’s for resale in the market place I am a getting nervous… Are there that many unsatisfied owners or am I missing something. Other thought is too maybe just “settle” for a cpo’d BMW 335 and call it a day…

Just a thought...
Old May 23, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastlanez
I really want to buy another Evo after selling my last two IX's a couple years ago. I have finally convinced myself to forego the beloved pre-owned IX and go pickup a new 2010 X (test drove one yesterday). But now, with so many 08’s for resale in the market place I am a getting nervous…
Why are you getting nervous?

Are there that many unsatisfied owners or am I missing something.
You're not missing anything. You're just thinking the worse when there is any evidence suggesting so. The EVO x service record isn't a secret, ownership satisfaction isn't a secret either. What are your concerns?

Other thought is too maybe just “settle” for a cpo’d BMW 335 and call it a day…

Just a thought...
3-series is a chick/poser car IMO. As nice as they are (though nowhere near the drivers car that the EVO X is) I would never get one just for association alone. But there are several other reasons why I picked the EVO MR over the 335. The only thing that the 335 has over the EVO is a nicer interior and more luxury options.

The drivers choice is the EVO.

Last edited by Spoonie; May 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

There is another thread on this.

Seems like the general consensus is that...

1. The economy went south and a lot of buyer just couldn't afford to keep their Evo.
2. Some buyers didn't take into account additional costs, insurance, maintenance, etc.
3. The car hobby can get expensive, mods add up!!!

Overall the new X is a great car, but one that can get expensive over time.

My recommendation is to do the research, ensure you can afford the insurance, maintenance, and mods that you will want to make on the car. I suspect if you owned 2 Evo's it will not be a problem for you. lol

Bottom line it's a great car!

I could not really afford one at the time, so I bought an RA and I am very happy with the car.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

There are a lot of cars for sale in general due to the economy so I wouldn't peg it qaulity of EVOs. Some people are either upgrading to something else or downgrading due to costs.

If you plan on paying cash then used will be a good way to save money but if you're going to finanace chances are new is the best bet. The interest rates out there even with wicked good credit is such that you will end up with the same monthly payment new vs used.

Hope that helps.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
personally i'd choose the 335 over the X but that's just me.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blueprint
personally i'd choose the 335 over the X but that's just me.
Why?
Old May 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you had two IX's then you'd get bored with the 335 real fast!! My fam drives bimmers and I've driven the 335 and it's very tight handling but boring and you won't ever stand out. Everytime I'm with my mom in her 3 we see two hundred identicle ones on the road. When I see another Evo it's special and we beep at each other. Get a gsr with leather and nav and the 3 will have NOTHING over it. Ps the interior IMO Is better in the Evo. And let's not even discuss modding, 335s can't even hit 600whp when the Evo x is almost up to 800awp.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Gsr doesn't come with leathers which sucks (MR = half leather / MR Touring = full leather). I'm not a fan of these cloth seats at all.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evofan_08
If you had two IX's then you'd get bored with the 335 real fast!! My fam drives bimmers and I've driven the 335 and it's very tight handling but boring
I owned a BMW 330i and received several loaner 335's. Boring was the main impression that I had about the 335's after driving it.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:33 PM

Spoonie, I was getting nervous simply because of the sheer number of 08’s up for resale. I was hoping that the reason was the economy expressed by sith_killer, but just wanted other opinions. I have no problem with the maintenance, ins, mods and etc… It was just becoming a concern the more serious I became at purchasing one with all the pre-owned on the market.

I have actually owned a 330i and a 06’ M3. Both nice, but like evofan says, I get bored real fast and that is my biggest problem, bored = quick trade! Great cars, but they are not connected to my cerebral cortex as the Evo is. In my test drive of the X yesterday, it didn’t feel as quick nor was the steering as sharp as in the IX. But on the other hand, I know that the 335 is a great car, but for an enthusiast like me/us, it will do nothing but put me to sleep quicker than another boring 80’s rerun. The Evo makes me want to get up early on a Saturday morning and head for the twisties, I didn’t have that same feeling when owning the bimmers.

So maybe I just needed to hear it from other folks, as long as the reliability is there and the quality hasn’t diminished over the IX, the X maybe the way for me to go. I will try to strike a deal and have leather installed along with a trunk swap and again make this dream a reality. I can tell you that being in the Evo yesterday immediately got the blood flowing and got the level of excitement spiked all over again!!!

Thank you good folks!
Old May 23, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had two IXs, then you know what the quality is like. Crappy bland econobox interior paired with a little AWD rocket-engine. The Xs have had a few recalls, and the list of known issues is relatively short: seats coming apart, fuel pump relay, hood latch rusts, poor piston ring tolerances, runs rich, maybe a few others.

I've had mine since a few months after they started hitting the US, and haven't had any serious complaints.

I think there's two main reasons there's a lot of '08s for sale: 1) People bought them who could barely afford them, and when the economy tanked the car was the first thing that had to go, and 2) a failed attempt by Mitsubishi to go after the 35+ age market. Early leaked documents showed they wanted to move the Evo upscale and into older age brackets, which explains the MR Touring and why the MR has more heavy sound deadening than the GSR. My anecdotal evidence of this is that I've seen 4 different Xs cycle through the local Acura dealership, and 2 more through BMW. They really wanted a luxury car, but were lured into an Evo.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
2) a failed attempt by Mitsubishi to go after the 35+ age market. Early leaked documents showed they wanted to move the Evo upscale and into older age brackets, which explains the MR Touring and why the MR has more heavy sound deadening than the GSR. My anecdotal evidence of this is that I've seen 4 different Xs cycle through the local Acura dealership, and 2 more through BMW. They really wanted a luxury car, but were lured into an Evo.
i think thats a quite interesting theory
Old May 23, 2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by TJs98GT
i think thats a quite interesting theory
Actually I don't think he is too far off - I got my Evo X dirt cheap from a high-class BMW stealership in NJ.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sufu
Actually I don't think he is too far off - I got my Evo X dirt cheap from a high-class BMW stealership in NJ.
BMW dealership is probably the safest place to buy a used Evo X.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spoonie
Why are you getting nervous?

You're not missing anything. You're just thinking the worse when there is any evidence suggesting so. The EVO x service record isn't a secret, ownership satisfaction isn't a secret either. What are your concerns?

3-series is a chick/poser car IMO. As nice as they are (though nowhere near the drivers car that the EVO X is) I would never get one just for association alone. But there are several other reasons why I picked the EVO MR over the 335. The only thing that the 335 has over the EVO is a nicer interior and more luxury options.

The drivers choice is the EVO.
Owning a BMW is OK now. According to Jeremy Clarkson, all of the ***** have moved from BMW's to Audi's.

Quick Reply: Early Evo X owners...