Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

bucking in low gears

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bucking in low gears

Hey guys just a quick question from a fairly new evo x gsr owner. This is my first stick car and would like just a pointer or two. Right now I am still breaking the car in under 500 miles and do realize practice makes perfect. My question lies within the boundaries of shifting without getting the car to buck in the lower gears. It seems that no matter what I try when releasing the clutch slowly or even going halfway then applying some gas after a gear change the car bucks a little. I tend to shift at 3-3.5 rpm. When I drive other manual cars this doesn't happen! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I did some searching around the web and they said to do what I did mentioned above too. Other than that I seem to be doing quite alright and enjoying the exp and the gas prices

Last edited by tehSteve; May 23, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The evo x 5-speed transmission takes a little bit of getting used to.. at least that's what I've noticed. To prevent the bucking, you'll want to rev match in the next gear, whether you're upshifting or downshifting. When upshifting, you'll want to let the RPMs drop down about 1000rpms or so. The car pretty much does this automatically by the time you move the shifter to the next gear with the clutch pushed in. When downshifting, you'll want to blip the throttle a little to get the RPM's up and then you let out the clutch to rev match the lower gear. Since it is your first manual transmission, it will take some getting used to. In another 1000 miles you'll be a lot better.
Old May 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

yea once i shift, i wait like half a second then give gas as im letting off the clutch..ive only had my evo for about 3 weeks coming from an rsx type s
Old May 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys! I guess the part I'm messing up is giving gas a little too late lol and too soon burns some clutch!!!
Keep the suggestions coming!

Meanwhile here are some pics:

Last edited by tehSteve; May 23, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

The clutch is your friend, push it down when you encounter the bucking and try to ease back into the gas again. Practice makes perfect, try an open parking lot till you get the hang of it instead of on the streets with people around. Good luck!
Old May 23, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

i'm only encountering it when changing gears, not when starting in first.
It "hiccups" one time after a change in low like a small bump.
hope that helps a little.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

i dnt think youre giving it enough gas.. or it may be youre giving it too much gas and the syncros has to get the clutch moving faster hence the hiccup..just keep practicing like everyone said and ull learn the car's tendencies
Old May 24, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
shift at 4k or a little bit higher for normal driving and your shifts will be much smoother and you won't have to blip the throttle as much if at all. you won't hurt anything.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could also be your car. Have you installed all those pieces in the pic? Is everything tight and not leaking air? Take it to the dealer and complain about it. Ask them to drive it with you alongside.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

didn't install them yet. i fooled around a little today with the clutch and realized i can bring it up to 3700 rpm and get rid of the little hiccup in first. good times.

now to work on lower revs on inclines to get moving I find myself doing it @ around 3.2k sometimes even on flat

thanks for the tip dek! it helped a ton. your the man!
Old May 24, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tehSteve
didn't install them yet. i fooled around a little today with the clutch and realized i can bring it up to 3700 rpm and get rid of the little hiccup in first. good times.

now to work on lower revs on inclines to get moving I find myself doing it @ around 3.2k sometimes even on flat

thanks for the tip dek! it helped a ton. your the man!
no problem. you'll find that the shift point is around 4k for all gears.

as far as hills go? you'll never get used to that. the restrictor pill in the slave cylinder sees to that too but allowing the engagement point to change and cause you to drag the clutch. it is there to wear the clutch instead of the drivetrain. if you're ever in that unsure situation just use your ebrake until it engages so you don't have to worry about rolling too far backwards like an awesome person.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

bucking is pretty bad. it took me a while to adjust my feet on my clutch when i am stuck in the traffic.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Dude..i drove three previous model Sti's and a 350Z all manual.. the first week of driving an Evo X was like WTF.. talk about riding the clutch and having it smell... it was the hardest car to adjust to... now its like nothing.. will take you a week or so!!! good luck..
Old May 25, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by dek0026
shift at 4k or a little bit higher for normal driving and your shifts will be much smoother and you won't have to blip the throttle as much if at all. you won't hurt anything.
Ding ding ding

Winner winner!

Remember the clutch is your friend, and you want to step on your friends as little as possible. The 4K or so shift point will get you riding the clutch a lot less
Old May 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I've driven manuals for 20 years, Evos buck badly. If I get stuck on the interstate having to clutch up and down and up and down in first, forget it. It's gonna do it. I've had four Evos, and they have all had that in common.

Quick Reply: bucking in low gears