Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

10,000 miles in the life, short review on how my Evo X is doing so far.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
nice review man -

10k miles on the tires seems a little low, could you talk about what kind of driving you were doing? ie mainly highway, trackdays, autox etc? I remember someone saying once the tires wore better/more evenly than on the older cars - though i'm sure it has a lot to do with alignment, would you agree with this overall?

Old May 27, 2010, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Totally my fault, was poorly written. Sorry about that.

A lot of HIDs in cars are the low beams only. The high beams in those cars are a separate set of traditional halogen bulbs. In the Evo X, they use the same housing (maybe same bulb), and the high beams are HIDs too.

This is really nice, because it makes the high beams very bright.

Make sense now?
Perfect Sense!! I agree, I love the Evo X HIDs.

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
Its the same projector and bulb actually, if I'm not wrong. When you put it on High Beam, the projector motor basically makes it point high to get the high-beam effect.
Actually it's just a metal flap that blocks off the light when using the low beams. On the High Beams the flap moves out of the way, thus providing more light output. The projector/lightbulb itself doesn't move.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matruco3
Actually it's just a metal flap that blocks off the light when using the low beams. On the High Beams the flap moves out of the way, thus providing more light output. The projector/lightbulb itself doesn't move.
Aah, I knew there was some mechanics involved, just couldn't remember exactly what it was. Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
nice review man -

10k miles on the tires seems a little low, could you talk about what kind of driving you were doing? ie mainly highway, trackdays, autox etc? I remember someone saying once the tires wore better/more evenly than on the older cars - though i'm sure it has a lot to do with alignment, would you agree with this overall?

I had a pretty aggressive alignment done last year, and it was overkill for what I use the car for, got major wear on the inside. 100% my fault, not Mitsubishi or the guy who performed the alignment, since it was what I asked for.

I learned the hard way, so went with a much less aggressive one this time.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with your review 100%. When it gets warm, I have no rattles (in the winter they are terrible). Once my car is completely warm (20mins+) my tranny shifts really smooth with no grinds or notchy shifts. The MPG on the highway sucks, I expect poor city mileage, because of how I drive.

I gave up some performance for all season tires for the winter. I am going to put the ADVANS on as soon as my new wheels come. I am almost dreading it though, the stockers are so LOUD. I am used to a softer, quieter ride, but do miss the cornering, so I need to make some sacrifices.

The best thing for me so far was getting MITSU to warranty my wheels, so I got to go with inside stick weights with no lip damage like the factory balance.

Finally, I am at 14k and am waiting on my exhaust to get finished at BUSCHUR and then get their stage 1. If there was a weak link, I figured it would have shown by now. Plus, I feel the need for some more speed and I am sick of the crappy stock tune. I still get rough idle at times and I hate the way first gear falls flat at 5k.

Glad you decided you are keeping your car for now.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
how did you get mitsu to warranty the wheels?
Old May 28, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

They had large chunks of paint flaking off from the center cap outward. I think the dealer was in shock when I got approved. They then cried when the tech put 6 inch scraps on all 4 remounting the tires.....so actually it ended up being 8!!!