Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help choosing between Evo MR vs GSR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, here are the cars I drove before deciding on an Evo.

1. 2010 Camaro SS Automatic - hated it. was surprised by the lack of power in lower gears and loose steering
2. 2010 370Z Manual - actually liked it, although felt a little bulky around corners. I just didn't feel I could push this car to the edge
3. 2008 M3 Manual - Amazing! and in a different league. Unfortunately price was also in a different league.
4. 2008 Corvette Manual - Nice car, but does not suite my style of driving
5. 2006 Cayman S Manual - Nice car, but I am 6 ft tall and was too cramped
6. 2006 M3 Manual - Nice car, not too exciting though (probably went in with too much expectation)
7. 2008 335i Manual - Surprisingly better than the 06 M3, but still not exciting to drive

and then drove an 08 GSR which made corners all the more fun and at the same time dizzy too.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

The MR is Awsome but in the long run if you have had fast cars in the past your gunna miss banging through them gears like you used to. The paddle shifting is amazing just doesnt hold huge power. If your just gunna do intake, exh, boost controller and a flash the MR would be perfect.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spartan117
Hi All,

The problem is that the dealer does not let us test drive an MR, which is why I look up to you folks who either own an MR or have driven both, for guidance.
Let me guess Stolhman?

They pulled the same BS with me went somewhere else and bought my MR.

The MR is a great daily driver and I have had no issues with the TSS.

If you think your going to want to add power get the GSR. If you are looking for a fun DD and want the sequential transmission/paddle shifters... like virtually all high end race classes now have get the MR. This being said I still do miss a good proper manual, there is a certain feeling that is missing with the sequential.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:06 AM

Yes Stohlman.
They have some real characters there.

I was there a month ago and it took 20 mins for someone to ask us if we needed help, and not like they were very busy. I was already drooling over an MR Touring in the showroom at this point.

And then after much whining he agrees for a test drive of a GSR.
So he says it is his lunch break and drives out the gsr with me in the passenger seat to the Mc Ds on route 7 which is about 0.5 mile away. He orders a drive thru and then switches seats in the parking lot. Then he asked me to drive it back to the dealership (0.5 miles), while he was chomping through the fries in the car.

So it is ok to eat food in a new car, but not ok for a potential customer to test-drive it!!!

My first impressions of the evo were really bad cos I could no do much in the 0.5 miles in traffic. But I am glad I drove another GSR recently and understood its real strengths.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

I routinely drive 5 hours plus (to various NASCAR races). I thank God I got an MR. That 6th gear ensures I don't arrive at the track with a migraine.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find somewhere that will allow you to test drive the car.. Calling places to ask wont get you a test drive.. If your legitimately looking to buy and can buy it then you have to drive it before your end up hating what you bought..
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

GSR = awsomely awsome

MR = awsome

now take your pick!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, I still have my 1996 Integra, which I am going to replace with the Evo.

When you switch the paddles to full manual I thought it does not change gears unless you initiate through paddles.

BTW thanks to everyone for your input so far. It is very valuable and there are quite a few titbits which I would'nt have picked up even if I did get a test drive.
Sweet! First gen OBDII teg buddy! Mine was a 96 RS with 0 options, but it was lighter than a typer and that's the sort of background I come from. I wanted a little more luxury and lots more performance. Sadly, I'm definately faster in the city than the evos normal mode, but I'll admit that when I'm pushed to the limit, the SST is better only because it never misshifts. As for the MR only shifting when you say so, that's not true when slowing down to a stop. The comp says that you're going too slow, and it will disengage the clutches and start shifting down through the gears for you until you've stopped. I can never just look at the road and know what gear I'm at when coming to a stop. I'm at the point where I'll just shift it into 3rd and let it auto down in manual mode. See this is where it sucks if for example the light suddenly turns green. You're confused, tranny thinks you're stopping, then you think "where's that GSR!"

Last edited by Optiblue; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

1 question, Do you want to drive stick shift or not???
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hi All,

- I drove a couple of other cars with paddles - G37, 370z, Camaro SS and absolutely hated them. (would have enjoyed the manual versions though).
Did those transmissions have torque converters?

I ask because I've driven several cars with flappy paddle boxes (Mitsubishi STT, BMW SMG, Audi DSG, Porsche PDK, Porsche Triptronic), and IMHO there is a huge difference between an automatic transmission that has paddles for manual shifting and a car with a clutch that has paddles for shifting.

In general, I find that transmissions with torque converters suck *****, whether they have paddles or not. A notable exception is the Porsche Triptronic which was so good that I though it was better than some flappy paddle boxes with clutches (specifically: BMW's SMG, which was terrible).

As for flappy paddle boxes with clutches, they all seem pretty awesome on the track. But in daily driving, I think there's a big difference between the single-clutch designs and the dual-clutch designs. The single-clutch designs range from horrible (BMW) to tolerable (Ferrari). The dual-clutch designs I've experienced (Mitsubishi, Audi, Porsche) were all pretty awesome except for two things: very low speed driving was a little wonky, and I found it very easy to lose track of what gear I was in.

I find the flappy paddle boxes to be less involving than a clutch pedal and stick shift, but the flappy paddle boxes with clutches give me the throttle control I desire when spanking the car. The boxes with automatics do not give me that same throttle control (Porsche Triptronic excepted). I think I could live with an SST box if I had reason to, but the fact that they cost extra money rules them out for me. And this is a new technology with unknown long-term reliability.

If you have not experienced a true ''flappy paddle dual-clutch'' box for yourself, you simply don't have enough info with which to make a decision. If Mitsubishi are jacking you around, see if you can get a test drive in an Audi with DSG. The experiences are fairly similar in around town driving. If you don't like the Audi, I suspect you won't like the SST.

The reason I ask about engine braking is because I am so used to manual downshifts doing part of braking in corners that I am worried I might lose this ability with an MR.
There are a couple of things you say in this sentence that would make me hazard a guess that you have never had professional driving instruction on a road course. But this is probably a subject for another thread.

Last edited by Berserker; Jun 11, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdog
Easy MR vs. GSR Decision Chart:

I agree, get the GSR.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

get the GSR!

Evo X was first owned stick car and it took me about a month to get comfortable. Just keep in mind you have to caress it in the first 3 gears using a little slower clutch action to prevent any notchyness... and downshifting requires better rev matching than other vehicles.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

My MR is my first car with only 2 pedals. I was very hesitant at first to go with it, but I just couldn't stand the crappy interior of the GSR, so I took the chance. Here are my thoughts after 1 year of driving it:
1) It is AWESOME on the track. Having it is a huge advantage, and all you have to do is concentrate on the line.
2) I miss rowing through the gears on the street during DD (not what most would say)
3) I miss being able to occasionally launch the car. I know the MR has launch control, but it's too cumbersome to set it up on a whim, so it's never used
4) 6th gear is great to have on the highway

Would I buy it again? Yes. Interior was important to me. You sit in it everyday. What will my other car be? A manual transmission. I have a feeling the days of a traditional manual are numbered, so I want to have just one more go at it before it goes the way of the dinosaur.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:17 PM

I have not driven an MR but, for what it's worth, I did own a vw gti with the DSG tranny which is similar. It was really cool at first but within a year I was sick of it and sold it.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My MR is my first car with only 2 pedals. I was very hesitant at first to go with it, but I just couldn't stand the crappy interior of the GSR, so I took the chance. Here are my thoughts after 1 year of driving it:
1) It is AWESOME on the track. Having it is a huge advantage, and all you have to do is concentrate on the line.
2) I miss rowing through the gears on the street during DD (not what most would say)
3) I miss being able to occasionally launch the car. I know the MR has launch control, but it's too cumbersome to set it up on a whim, so it's never used
4) 6th gear is great to have on the highway

Would I buy it again? Yes. Interior was important to me. You sit in it everyday. What will my other car be? A manual transmission. I have a feeling the days of a traditional manual are numbered, so I want to have just one more go at it before it goes the way of the dinosaur.
I couldn't have said it any better. I share the same feelings here.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing between Evo MR vs GSR