Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help choosing between Evo MR vs GSR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing between Evo MR vs GSR

Hi All,

I have finally decided on getting an Evo. Now for the difficult part of choosing MR vs GSR. I have driven a friend's GSR and absolutely loved it. The problem is that the dealer does not let us test drive an MR, which is why I look up to you folks who either own an MR or have driven both, for guidance.

Here are some factors to consider -

- Price is not an issue.
- would mod it just a little bit eventually, maybe upto 350hp.
- Mostly used for street driving and maybe once a year for a FATT event.
- I don't do a lot of heel-toe, rev-matching ..etc with a manual. Does the MR help in this area?
- All I am looking is for a car that is fun to drive, which is why I picked the Evo in the first place.
- I drove a couple of other cars with paddles - G37, 370z, Camaro SS and absolutely hated them. (would have enjoyed the manual versions though).

I have been driving manuals for around 20 yrs and the only reason for even considering the MR is because of the reviews that say it is still fun and keeps you in control. And of course the BBS wheels and leather touches.
If the MR came in Manual, I would be owning one now.

As a evo newbie, any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

This may be able to help out a bit ...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-versions.html
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

one other place 2....

http://superstreet.automotive.com/92...gsr/index.html

(bored at work)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:41 AM

Yes, I have gone through that entire thread.
But most of them just seem to point out the difference between the models.

I am trying to find out if people who have driven an MR had just as much fun driving a manual?
And also if they occasionally miss having the manual transmission?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I like a few of the additional features of the MR but there was no way in hell I was buying an automatic transmission Evo (call it what you will, but it's not a manual). Maybe I am a purist, but I think sports car should have three pedals and a shifter; shifting is part of the enjoyment I get from driving the car.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I hear u! I kinda of went thru the same thing a few months ago when I bought a 2010 GSR. I love the MR for the Bilsteins, BBS rims, etc, but couldn't get myself to give up a manual tranny. My best advice would to be to drive both to see if the SST is something u could live with in the long run. The only draw back for me with the 5sp is the higher revs on the freeway, but she sure sounds great crusing at 75-80
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I like a few of the additional features of the MR but there was no way in hell I was buying an automatic transmission Evo (call it what you will, but it's not a manual). Maybe I am a purist, but I think sports car should have three pedals and a shifter; shifting is part of the enjoyment I get from driving the car.
1+ what Kracka said!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

If you're only going up to 350HP, be it WHP or BHP, the MR is going to be a fine choice. The largest weakness of it in my mind is the lack of higher power capabilities, and the TCU issues at higher power.

As for "fun", I think that's going to be a deeply personal thing. I don't find it FUN to shift, I just find it FUN to not have to worry about transmission issues at higher power levels; for me, the GSR made logical sense.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by josefmd
I hear u! I kinda of went thru the same thing a few months ago when I bought a 2010 GSR. I love the MR for the Bilsteins, BBS rims, etc, but couldn't get myself to give up a manual tranny. My best advice would to be to drive both to see if the SST is something u could live with in the long run. The only draw back for me with the 5sp is the higher revs on the freeway, but she sure sounds great crusing at 75-80
Thanks!
Did you drive the MR before you made your choice?

Also, I forgot to ask one more question - Can you do engine braking with an MR?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:11 AM

The reason I ask about engine braking is because I am so used to manual downshifts doing part of braking in corners that I am worried I might lose this ability with an MR.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by spartan117
Can you do engine braking with an MR?
Yes. It performs just like a manual in certain modes, except all you have is the paddles and the computer does the rest.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I don't do a lot of heel-toe, rev-matching ..etc with a manual. Does the MR help in this area?
Yup, rev matches for you. If I were in your position I'd get an MR. Mine isn't a daily driver. I've thought about buying another one, though. I'd do a test pipe, drop-in filter, and E85 conversion on it...then leave it the hell alone.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my MR becuause like you price wasnt a concern. Its only money. I went MR because its a daily driver, in my town of we'll say 80,000 ppl now to cross town down main street is easily a good 15 minutes, mainstreet is a 2km stretch. On a good day it literally takes me 1 minute to cross on sundays.

Apart from that, Traffic in the GTA, its rediculous, stop and go every single day doesnt matter what route. Mr has nicer suspension, I think its personally fun to drive, ive driven a few manuals, nothing of this caliber but its one thing id really prefer not to do. I prefer to drive around, smoking, drinking a pop, talking on my phone and still having fun.

Engine braking on the GTS/MR is insane, if you downshift properly in the right revs you will literally only need your brakes for the last 5 feet because its idling now. Its better then any manual. Almost like my friggin can-am renegade atv. Let off the gas and it throws u forward with engine brake. Some like it some dont.

As for the power, like yourself im going to 350whp, this car can do it and still be DD.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Totally agree!!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!
Did you drive the MR before you made your choice?

Also, I forgot to ask one more question - Can you do engine braking with an MR?
NO! I actually didnt't drive a MR before I pulled the trigger. I missed ur point about price not being an issue as well. For me I couldn't justify spending the extra cash on the MR mainly because of the tranny! If it had a 6spd however, it would have been game on!! Also, the power issue with regards to modding was also not a consideration for me as well because I am not going to do anything above a Cobb AP stage 1 flash! I guess the other variable would be if u r going to track the EVO? The MR seems like a great track car do to the supension, and tranny. I haven't done a DE track day since 05, however I am getting the itch to do one this yr with my X.

Last edited by josefmd; Jun 9, 2010 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing between Evo MR vs GSR