Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Worth it to respray front end?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth it to respray front end?

I recently picked up an 08 PB X and I love the car but between the crappy paint and black color the rock chips on the front end kind of bother me. Should I suck it up and live with it or is it worth it to have the front end resprayed? The touch up pen works fine on the plastic parts but on metal it doesn't look good at all. Anyone else have just the front bumper & hood done?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I redid my front bumper a few months ago due to a nose job. It had all kinds of rock chip and it came out great. But I should have had the hood blended as well, I was on a budget anyways. As long as you fix any large pits or damage a new blended spray will look fine, and a good painter helps as well.

I would also have the 3m bra put on after to protect that new paint from rock chips.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:09 PM

Out of curiousity how much did that run you?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I reprayed the front bumper with a lip, passenger side pillar and a vortex generator spoiler all for $225 or 250 I can't fully remember. But that was a hommie hook up price. I'm sure you can ask friends or someone to help you out, that's what I did.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:24 PM

IMO, Get your bumper refinished..the center dam is so big theres barely any bumper to prep and paint lol. My shop offers one day jobs, so look around and get quotes. If you have the money, i would look into wrapping your bumper with Venture Shield or Duraguard.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Don't waste your time if your not going to clear bra the front end!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
Don't waste your time if your not going to clear bra the front end!
for those that did go the clear bra route...can you post estimated prices? this is definitely a must when the day comes.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Dude, I have a clear bra, and I feel its one of the few mods that will actually provide a return on your investment.

I payed 600 for a 3M clear bra that actually included the front air dam. I know other people payed less, but, you can barely see it, I actually have to tell people its there. Also, zero bubbles. You definitely want someone who has experience.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Poondoggs
Dude, I have a clear bra, and I feel its one of the few mods that will actually provide a return on your investment.

I payed 600 for a 3M clear bra that actually included the front air dam. I know other people payed less, but, you can barely see it, I actually have to tell people its there. Also, zero bubbles. You definitely want someone who has experience.
$600 installed?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
yeah like u are being told clear bra it or don't bother!! but make sure u shop around cause the 3m clear gets pricey
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

if you dont want a clear bra get ir repainted and have them spray extra coats of clear. with the clear nice and thick it wont chip as easy and there is plenty there to wet sand should you need to.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, putting on a clear bra reminds me of going to your grandparents house and sitting on their plastic-covered furniture. Sure, it's all pristine-looking under there, but it sure is uncomfortable. Of course, I like the feel of the paint and enjoy giving the car a nice clar bar and sealant treatment. I only have 5-6 stone chips after 20,000 miles, so it seems I'm doing something right.

I'd vote for respraying with additional clear and using a high-quality sealant regularly, but that's just me.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:16 PM

yeah, its only worth it if you are going to clear bra it. if youre not, those rock chips will be back pretty soon.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I'm in this same boat. I have a lot more mileage (44k) but clearly it's a.) get the bumper repainted and get a clear bra or b.) get an aftermarket bumper.

Either way, extremely disappointed yet not surprised at Mitsu's awesome paint job.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

You can only put so many layers of clear on there before it starts to look like a K-Mart rattle can special. And since body shops don't bake the paint at the same temp the manufacturer does the respray will be equivalent too or worse than Mitsubishi's. Respray and clear bra are your best options.

Quick Reply: Worth it to respray front end?