Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Building custom cold air intake box?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Building custom cold air intake box?

Searched the forums didn't find anything, I'm pretty sure I've seen it before though. I have a k&n cold air intake cone style. My car has been running poor at idle due to taking in to much hot air so I'm trying to build a custom box, made from the stock cold air set up to surround the k&n filter
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If what you are trying to avoid is the crazy idle caused for the radiator fans:

Check the AMS ram intake shield, they sold the item alone if you don't want to buy their Intake. Costly but as always....AMS. Perfect build, perfect fit, build to last forever.
It’s an air fan deflector

if you are looking to enclose your cone to keep it cold:
try to be more specific, do you own a K&N cone or the whole Ram intake? Model? Pictures, etc
Maybe some guy have some DIY project.

My tip:
Try to divert all the Air you can from the exterior to your Intake and leave it open or semi-open, meaning build a wall between your engine and the intake. Do not enclose it. Unless you use top of the line products building your box (Aeronautic heat reflector foil, ceramic heat reflecting paint, etc (there is some beauties in this field done in prior evos, IX, XVIII, etc)) you would provably make your air to run even hotter inside your box.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

it is the cone filter, I know Ive seen the box built by a member somewhere but looked and cant find it. Its missing the heatshield, which I took off to try a few things, the shield helps a bit but still doesn't totally solve the idling problem.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:43 PM

your best bet would probably be an intake that utilizes the stock intake scoop near the front grill. I forgot the name of the company that makes it but it's a larger intake scoop that intalls directly behind the front grill in replace of the stocker and supposedly draws in more air from the outside directly to your filter. i think it was an enclosed intake setup but i found that to be something you might wanna look into
Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

You're probably thinking of the AEM, ARC, or Gruppe M intakes. The former two replace the stock airbox, and the latter is a carbon fiber airbox. They're the only ones that use the original airbox and intake scoop design, as far as I'm aware.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
You're probably thinking of the AEM, ARC, or Gruppe M intakes. The former two replace the stock airbox, and the latter is a carbon fiber airbox. They're the only ones that use the original airbox and intake scoop design, as far as I'm aware.
Gruppe M/Colt Speed = financial ouch
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by go_dlee
Gruppe M/Colt Speed = financial ouch
plus bling
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Worked on making this happen today and its almost complete, came out pretty decent, will bolt it on tomorrow, didn't feel like spending a few hundred on another Cold air intake when I have one that is good, this will definitly solve my ****ty Idling problem. Looks Like stock just has the Blue ETS piping going into the intake box and thats all you see.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
d3r3k,

you buy that intake new? If so, send me a PM. I will send you out a shield. Some of the earlier models didn't have a shield.

Should look like this now.

Thanks!!

Michael
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah my kit had the shield, it helped alot , but still had a bit of idling problems with ac on. Also like this the cold air will be blowing directly on the CAI with alot less chance of heat hitting it. However thanks for the offer, that was really awesome of you!

Cant wait to grab one of your FMIC kits in a few months for ETS
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

i like to see this diy u came up with.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

I just put it on, Worked awesome had the AC cranked full blast and not one single change in rpms, its sitting in right now but im going to play with it more so it fits better, This freaking humidity SUCKS though, to hot to do anything outside, I basically have a 2 hr window i can work on my car, between 6 and 8 pm where the heat kicks down, but then I start getting eaten alive by mosquitos, I need to A) move, B) get a climate controlled garage.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
i like to see this diy u came up with.
Will take pics later, basically jigsawed the back end of the stock CAI box, and jigsawed the stock filter,so it was just empty, then stuck it over the K&N and screwed it back in stock location