Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DefBringer
Whoa wait a minute....you had to pay California sales tax even though you're not a Cali resident? Uhh...is that even legal? What did the state of Illinois have to say about that?

This COMPLETELY changes things...no way in hell am I paying sales tax twice.
When I bought my X last August I ran into the same problem with CA dealers demanding CA sales tax to leave the lot, I ended up buying out of TX (although my X is now up for sale) I read a thread from Noize about the hurdles he went through to drive his first X off the lot out of South Coast, maybe he can shed some light on it.

FYI I also just sold my e92 335i to carmax after 8 months of trying to sell it privately...car market sucks right now
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

mywave, did you get a good price in Texas? What dealer?

I know Lewisville near Dallas used to offer good prices on the forums but they're no longer a vendor.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Edit: What I think is bad comedy is people asking 25k or 26k for IXs. People ask $2k under KBB for Xs and don't get it, people ask 5k over KBB for their IXs and wonder why they aren't selling.
Are people actually paying the inflated prices for IX's? Before I bought my X I seriously considered getting an IX but just couldn't justify paying near new car pricing for cars that (lets be realistic) mostly have been beat on with wear and tear from being driven hard for 30k miles or more.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Aren't you on your second X in 2 years (with a 135 in the middle)? And you're selling again?

I wish I had that kind of cash to throw around I felt guilty for ditching my last car after 2 years.
I was going to downgrade to a $10k cheaper VIII due to daycare costs, but right now I'm going to hold firm.

Originally Posted by mywave
When I bought my X last August I ran into the same problem with CA dealers demanding CA sales tax to leave the lot, I ended up buying out of TX (although my X is now up for sale) I read a thread from Noize about the hurdles he went through to drive his first X off the lot out of South Coast, maybe he can shed some light on it.

FYI I also just sold my e92 335i to carmax after 8 months of trying to sell it privately...car market sucks right now
Check with your state. Tennessee is awesome. They will never make you pay tax twice, they just go after California on their own. I just had to have all my forms handy. California tax is high, but so is Tennessee. I think the difference was almost nonexistent. I paid cash for the tax and part of the loan, but got out of that X because it was an early one with terrible grinding transmission.

Originally Posted by heavyD
Are people actually paying the inflated prices for IX's? Before I bought my X I seriously considered getting an IX but just couldn't justify paying near new car pricing for cars that (lets be realistic) mostly have been beat on with wear and tear from being driven hard for 30k miles or more.
I don't know if they get that kind of money, but there are several threads with clean IXs where they aren't afraid to ask for it.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DefBringer
mywave, did you get a good price in Texas? What dealer?

I know Lewisville near Dallas used to offer good prices on the forums but they're no longer a vendor.
I bought mine at Lewisville paid 29,9xxx and have put 20k miles on it for work so I've put it up for sale. They weren't the easiest to work with, but I didn't have to deal with the CA sales tax issue.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

A good deal is really in the eye of the beholder. I'd want 30K for my 08 SSS, Aero, Interior Package with only 5800 miles and the mods on it. Would i haggle a little - ya. Would i ultimately settle for something like 25K - hell no. It depends on what you are comfortable paying, and what the seller is comfortable selling for. There are tons of buyers and sellers out there and each can get what they want if they either search long enough or hold out long enough.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mywave
I bought mine at Lewisville paid 29,9xxx and have put 20k miles on it for work so I've put it up for sale. They weren't the easiest to work with, but I didn't have to deal with the CA sales tax issue.
Do you mind if I ask what was not easy about working with them?

I'm guessing 29,9xxx was a base GSR, right?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

I listed my 08 X in the for sale forum at $17k. It needed $4500 of engine work at the time. I thought $21500 for an X GSR was a good deal. Buyers just wouldn't take the risk. Their loss.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

i don't understand how with 2011's having to come out soon (if at all) that dealerships are still charging top dollar for these cars.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:18 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by oftheheavens
i don't understand how with 2011's having to come out soon (if at all) that dealerships are still charging top dollar for these cars.
Supply vs. demand.
They brought over a ton of 08s, and had to practically give them away with incentive money to dealers and/or 0% financing for 60 months due to the economy hitting the crapper. All other car manufacturers have had to do similar things to move inventory.

New car sales are still bleeding in the US, so the new line of thinking is to bring less over, so as not to have to give them away, and hunker down and weather the storm. I bet the 2011 SE will be extremely limited, and hence there will still be a market for the 2010 GSR for those who want a driver operated clutch pedal.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Supply vs. demand.
They brought over a ton of 08s, and had to practically give them away with incentive money to dealers and/or 0% financing for 60 months due to the economy hitting the crapper. All other car manufacturers have had to do similar things to move inventory.

New car sales are still bleeding in the US, so the new line of thinking is to bring less over, so as not to have to give them away, and hunker down and weather the storm. I bet the 2011 SE will be extremely limited, and hence there will still be a market for the 2010 GSR for those who want a driver operated clutch pedal.

All I know is I need a car badly and nobody seems to have any clue about when the 2011's will become available.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i hear you. I have tried many dealers asking about 11's and no one knows. I really don't want to buy a 10 and then a month after have the 2011's come out with leather seats, sunroof, and new wheels.

I really think that there will be new wheels because the 2011 RA's have the current GSR wheels.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Supply vs. demand.

I had read at some point that they were only doing 300 SE's. Dont know if that is still true or not.

Edit: It was on the flyer i posted a while back in a different thread, although this is saying 2010 MY:

Last edited by MR. Tim; Jul 16, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think those prices you quoted are a little high. One thing is for sure, the economy sucks, and it is a horrible time to be a seller. Add in the fact that a lot of people are upside down in their loans, and the pricing makes sense.

I had my car up for $27,500 with 9k miles on it, SSS, and got no bites. I dropped it to $26,500, and a lot of interest generated. I ended up taking down the FS ad and will keep it until I am more rightside up. But I definitely see the appeal of a 2010. I think if you could find a clean 2008 with low miles in the mid $25k range with SSS, it would be worth jumping on. Deals are out there, you just have to find someone desperate enough. I was not.

Good luck!

Edit: What I think is bad comedy is people asking 25k or 26k for IXs. People ask $2k under KBB for Xs and don't get it, people ask 5k over KBB for their IXs and wonder why they aren't selling.

I liked my IX a lot, but there is no way in heck I would take my car on trade and $2k. People are out of their minds.
This is dead on. I have mine up FS and I do realize it is one of the higher priced Evos on here but its got alot into it. Ive gotten 0 serious offers. I got offered a trade by a IX who thought his car was worth $28k with 30k and bolt ons. Its crazy!

The market does suck. If you rather have a USED one just shop I see deals that frustrate me all the time lol
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I bought my 08 GSR with SSS for $26,900 with only 2800 miles. I think that was a good price.

Quick Reply: High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?