Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:00 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not have a very good experience dealing with South Coast Mitsubishi. It was easy to tell they were just interested in the sale and not customer service. Once you've signed, they pretty much never want to see you again. Prices were great but that was it.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Ive been looking for an used evo for a while but all the evos on autotrader and cars.com are either overpriced or really modded. I guess I will hold out til later on this year or even next year around feb to look for one around 25K. plus i want to pay down my car as well.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

I remember going to the dealer to shop for a X and they had a used 8 or 9 MR on the lot with 60k miles and they still wanted like 20 grand for the thing. I guess our cars hold their value well.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
I remember going to the dealer to shop for a X and they had a used 8 or 9 MR on the lot with 60k miles and they still wanted like 20 grand for the thing. I guess our cars hold their value well.
Do you have a IX, as well?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Do you have a IX, as well?
I wish.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Believe it or not the IXs are in high demand. The triplex had two IXs that only lasted a couple of days and the black SE they had for sale had a couple scratches and they wanted 27K for it. I think it had like 40K miles on it or something but that thing was sold in like 3-4 days. Its really crazy how fast those cars get sold around my way.

They have a used X for sell that they are having a hard time moving thats in perfect condition so to make a long story short these IX owners are getting what they are asking for at least to my knowledge in my area.So if you hold out long enough despite the economy somebody will eventually bite.

Last edited by jayevo23; Jul 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the ix is a much better car/platform imo thats why the prices are higher

ive been a big fan of the evo for a long time now and have owned three of them, i test drive the x when it first came out just to see how it felt and just did not like the car at all.. i would never trade my ix for the newer evo they definitely dont make them like they used too
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I love my X and all but I wish I would have put more thought into it instead of acting on impulse.
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u

ive been a big fan of the evo for a long time now and have owned three of them, i test drive the x when it first came out just to see how it felt and just did not like the car at all.. i would never trade my ix for the newer evo they definitely dont make them like they used too
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

i've been in the market for a while now...for both ix's and x's

the evo ix market is just insane, especially on this forum. these owners think that built motors and 500whp cars sell at a premium, when in reality, your market for buyers is MUCH slimmer. i wouldn't want to pay $5k more for man-handled race car, sorry. definitely out of warranty and a bigger headache.

lately i've switched my focus to the x's. its easier to find a clean and adult owned x than ix for sure. and for a price difference of sometimes only a couple thousand, there's no reason to look back. these guys offering to trade their raped ix's for x's is just insulting. i can compare the evo ix market to the 04 r32's.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ZK
I did not have a very good experience dealing with South Coast Mitsubishi. It was easy to tell they were just interested in the sale and not customer service. Once you've signed, they pretty much never want to see you again. Prices were great but that was it.
I'm sorry to hear that. While they're definitely far from perfect, my own personal experiences with them have been positive for the most part. But while their business revolves around sales, I will say that they're not "just interested in the sale." A lot of locals know that the dealership has frequent BBQs and taco nights for their customers, completely free of charge. This past weekend, they had their (second?) annual customer appreciation day at the El Toro Marine Base where they rented out the place to use as an autocross course for customers. They also raffle off big things too... I remember them giving away a Lancer Ralliart last year.
Originally Posted by jayevo23
Believe it or not the IXs are in high demand. The triplex had two IXs that only lasted a couple of days and the black SE they had for sale had a couple scratches and they wanted 27K for it. I think it had like 40K miles on it or something but that thing was sold in like 3-4 days. Its really crazy how fast those cars get sold around my way.

They have a used X for sell that they are having a hard time moving thats in perfect condition so to make a long story short these IX owners are getting what they are asking for at least to my knowledge in my area.So if you hold out long enough despite the economy somebody will eventually bite.
I don't doubt that at all. I traded in my old bone stock Evo back in February 2007 and got a good chunk of change for it (and this was back when they still had brand new Evo IXs, mind you), and I still have my Evo IX SE that I got instead, which is still bone stock. I get random PMs of people interested in buying it, even though I've never put it up for sale.

Anyway, to the OP, despite what some people may have said about South Coast Mitsubishi, it's worth a shot. The prices are just really hard to ignore, even after whatever costs you face (i.e. shipping, travel expenses, etc.). You're better off buying a new one at these prices.

Yay for my 1000th post.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DefBringer
Whoa wait a minute....you had to pay California sales tax even though you're not a Cali resident? Uhh...is that even legal? What did the state of Illinois have to say about that?

This COMPLETELY changes things...no way in hell am I paying sales tax twice.
Call your DMV to find out about how taxes are handled if you purchase an out of state car. Also, what's your tax rate on vehicle purchases? In Cali, I believe it's 8.5 or 8.75%. I'm in NC and it's only 3%.

As far as Cali dealers charging taxes, it is unfortunately 100% legal. Reason being is that you are purchasing in the state of Cali. Same thing if you went to LA for a vacation and bought a pair of jeans at the mall. You would pay Cali's sales tax rate. Same thing applies for a car even though you never intend to keep the car in Cali.

The only way to get around paying Cali taxes on a car is to have the car shipped to you. Do NOT take delivery of the car at the dealership. When the car is shipped to you, you physically take delivery in your driveway...which means you'll pay your state's taxes rather than Cali taxes

Last edited by atombomb33; Jul 17, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u

This is often repeated by CT9A guys who have little or no seat time in an Evo X. I can say this because I've owned four Evos and spent a lot of time in each. You can say the IX has a stronger engine and is a better drag race platform, because those are true statements. But the X chassis is much better, and wasn't robbed of its SAYC. The X (especially compared to the US IX) has a distinct edge on a racetrack when power:weight are equal. That to me is what defines a better platform for racing. If you're a drag racer, pick the IX. If you are a track day guy, pick the X.

That's not to say that I didn't really enjoy and miss my VIII and IX, there is something about each of them that is great.

Back more on the topic of the thread, its just funny that people are still asking for a used IX what they paid at South Coast 4 years ago. While some people might get that for a super low mileage example to a guy who has more cash than sense, its an exception to the rule. If you spend $4k more than book value on an IX and total it, you have to eat that money. That's not something I am willing to accept anymore. The banks and insurance companies use NADA. NADA says a 2008 X GSR is worth $5k - $6k more than a 2006 base (non RS) Evo. Yet people on here think its more like $2k. I got so many lowballer trade offers from owners of sub-optimal condition IXs it just made me laugh.

If you have a clean IX and love it, absolutely hold onto it. But don't expect to trade it to an X guy whose car is in much better condition than yours and not follow some guideline of loan value, because it is insulting.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my Evo 8 in 2003 brand new for $28k.

I sold it 4 years and 45k miles later for $19k.

I think it held its value very well.

I would feel more confident buying an X if I knew I could get likewise return on my dollar down the road.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayevo23

Yo that x is far from good condition lol, I work at the triplex and I can tell u the previous owner beat that thing up inside and out. Interior was hammered and he raced/ launched it alot. The black ix we had had to rear struts out and the white x owner traded it for the 9. So now we have his modded x and he stuck withs jacked up ix lol weird- guy lost alot of money cause the x has some expensive stuff put in
Old Jul 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Lmao from the looks of it on cars.com it looked pretty good. Damn that sucks lol about to stop going to the triplex
Originally Posted by total0wnage
Yo that x is far from good condition lol, I work at the triplex and I can tell u the previous owner beat that thing up inside and out. Interior was hammered and he raced/ launched it alot. The black ix we had had to rear struts out and the white x owner traded it for the 9. So now we have his modded x and he stuck withs jacked up ix lol weird- guy lost alot of money cause the x has some expensive stuff put in

Last edited by jayevo23; Jul 17, 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?