Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know the X's are holding their value so well!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Hopefully im not going off topic, but i wonder how a salvaged title effects the value. Like i know it makes it a lot lower but im wondering if you can even take a loan out for a salvaged title car. I wonder how much the insurance will even pay out for it.... What do you guys think? Reasons for my questions = http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1841530220.html

its one thing to ask 21 k for a IX with a bad title that also has a good amount of miles on it, but for an X with less then 4K miles on it? Supposedly it got totaled out because of roof damage... even if thats the case and the person is nervous about safety (no airbags where deployed so he says) of the roof and it being less rigid or strong. one could also but a roll cage in for added safety... idk thoughts?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

don't buy salvaged titles.....end of story.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

The sweet spot for selling an Evo X seems to be around $25k. Just because they are asked $27-28k doesn't mean that you can't offer much less. Especially if you can back it up with a fair value from KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc.

I have owned an Evos since 2003 (VIII, IX and X) and I think the X is the best for an all around car.

If you go used, I would try to get one with whatever mods you intend to put on later and make sure that the guy you buy it from isn't a the type to cut corners on maintenance and upkeep. Good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I've been trying to find a decently priced Evo X and it is pretty hard. Some people are selling base Evo 2008s for 29/30k!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Frankiago
If you decide to go with South Coast Mitsubishi, do not go pick it up. Have it delivered.

I bought mine from them almost exactly a year ago and picked it up from them in person 11 months ago. I paid IL sales tax and registration, had plates with me to put on the car when I picked it up... when I got there, they wouldn't let me have the car unless I paid CA sales tax. Something they completely failed to mention even though I already paid the first car payment on the damn car without ever seeing it in person or even a picture of it. I was just told "yeah it's blue, has the aero kit, SSS package and has 7 miles on it" and I said "that one's mine, I'll put $500 down right now" and then told them I would be picking it up.

I found out about the sales tax BS on my ride from the airport to the dealer and forked over another $2800. Flash forward a year and I'm still waiting on my $2400 IL sales tax amend/return. It'll be nice once I get my $2400 back, but this was a horrible experience and I have a lengthy review of South Coast Mitsu on these forums as a result. I would not have put a review if Sam didn't tell me "go ahead and bash us on the forums."

They just move tons of these cars at very slight profit in order to cash in on Mitsubishi's bonuses for moving inventory.

Lastly, they "LET" me use my credit card to pay the sales tax. They had to call up corporate to ask permission and treated it like they were doing me a favor, LETTING me pay the sales tax so that I can drive the car off the lot. They also claimed they couldn't get the car towed the 50-100 miles or whatever it took to get to the Nevada border so we could circumvent the sales tax dilemma.

One last gripe/complaint: Sam knew I was coming to pick this thing up a month ahead of time and simply forgot about it, I reminded him again and again as it was drawing near. I still waited at the airport for almost half an hour and still had to sit at the dealership for hours before I could even see the car.

On the plus side, they gave a $20 coupon to get gas at a nearby station... yep, that's right, the only positive experience I had there was $20 in gas :P

I bought my IX MR there too. Not really the best experience buying from them but I was still happy I drove her home.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by OZboyee
Hopefully im not going off topic, but i wonder how a salvaged title effects the value. Like i know it makes it a lot lower but im wondering if you can even take a loan out for a salvaged title car. I wonder how much the insurance will even pay out for it.... What do you guys think? Reasons for my questions = http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1841530220.html

its one thing to ask 21 k for a IX with a bad title that also has a good amount of miles on it, but for an X with less then 4K miles on it? Supposedly it got totaled out because of roof damage... even if thats the case and the person is nervous about safety (no airbags where deployed so he says) of the roof and it being less rigid or strong. one could also but a roll cage in for added safety... idk thoughts?
Check with your bank and insurance company first. Many places won't finance a salvaged title car. Some have "rebuilt" title, which allows some to be more lenient. There are insurance companies that won't touch salvage title cars too.

While some of them might be decent and not bad, the Carfax ding has that car forever marked as something that is only worth a small percentage of its loan value, and to me its just not worth it.

I would personally rather get something older or higher mileage than something salvaged, but its probably because I don't want the headache.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

I can't believe people would even consider for a second buying a salvage-titled car. You're inheriting an enormous headache and you WILL regret it.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:00 AM

Did you check out the 1000$ or 0% APR incentive from Mitsu on Evos which started in July?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spartan117
Did you check out the 1000$ or 0% APR incentive from Mitsu on Evos which started in July?
I heard it about it on the forum, I went into the dealer to discuss it with them and they told me that the promotions did not include the Evos? I insisted that they did and they even brought their sales manager out to tell me "no". WTF?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by DefBringer
I heard it about it on the forum, I went into the dealer to discuss it with them and they told me that the promotions did not include the Evos? I insisted that they did and they even brought their sales manager out to tell me "no". WTF?
What! that is lame. I got this deal on my new GSR which is why I made the jump and bought a new one. You should check with a different dealer too.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DefBringer

Does not surprise me! What freaking idiots!! http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/specialoffers.do Print out the special offers page, and go shove it into the sales managers face!!!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by josefmd
Does not surprise me! What freaking idiots!! http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/specialoffers.do Print out the special offers page, and go shove it into the sales managers face!!!
And the offer ends August 2nd.
The offer is pretty good. Does Mitsu do this often on the Evo? Or is it just because of the introduction of the SE, that they want to move inventory.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by spartan117
And the offer ends August 2nd.
The offer is pretty good. Does Mitsu do this often on the Evo? Or is it just because of the introduction of the SE, that they want to move inventory.
That's my guess, plus its only 3 years. On the leftover 08s, it was 0% for 5 years. Talk about a killer deal!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

The dealer talked me out of the 0% and I wish I'd gone that way. It was clear from their hard sell that they don't make money on that whereas other lenders give them kickbacks.

Quick Reply: High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?