Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?

I'm in the market for a used '08 GSR or a new '10 GSR.

Looking at autotrader and cars.com I'm seeing that most of these cars have an asking price of $27k-$28k with average mileage between 15-30k miles.

Some vendors on this forum are selling brand new 2010 cars for $32k.

So what's the deal? Are these people selling their 2008's really not getting what they're asking? I prefer a used car to a new one because of the depreciation hit is out of the way, but for $4000 difference I would be a complete moron not buying a car that is 2 years newer, has no miles, and has the full warranty waiting to start.

For those of you all shopping Evos now, what do you think?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:48 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I think those prices you quoted are a little high. One thing is for sure, the economy sucks, and it is a horrible time to be a seller. Add in the fact that a lot of people are upside down in their loans, and the pricing makes sense.

I had my car up for $27,500 with 9k miles on it, SSS, and got no bites. I dropped it to $26,500, and a lot of interest generated. I ended up taking down the FS ad and will keep it until I am more rightside up. But I definitely see the appeal of a 2010. I think if you could find a clean 2008 with low miles in the mid $25k range with SSS, it would be worth jumping on. Deals are out there, you just have to find someone desperate enough. I was not.

Good luck!

Edit: What I think is bad comedy is people asking 25k or 26k for IXs. People ask $2k under KBB for Xs and don't get it, people ask 5k over KBB for their IXs and wonder why they aren't selling.

I liked my IX a lot, but there is no way in heck I would take my car on trade and $2k. People are out of their minds.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Noize, I totally agree. For $27k I just can't bite. But for $25k....yeah, I am interested.

Thanks very much for your personal experience....that is exactly the info I was looking for.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'd assume that 32k is a base model. It's possible that a lot of the used cars have SSS, NAV, Aero or have a few thousand in mods that people would like a few bucks for. People usually list their cars higher than what they'll accept. If you want a used car then find one that you like and haggle.

Some of us consider it really risky to buy a used sports car. You just don't know how the last guy drove it or who has worked on it unless it's a local buddy of yours. Keep in mind that the Mitsu warranty is questionable to begin with and second-hand you might as well forget about it.

Last edited by mlomker; Jul 15, 2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

also try to expand your search location... i live in NJ, and i have a house in FL, i couldnt find anything that i wanted in NJ. kept searching for 2 months.. i finally founded an 8 in FL for $23k w/ 18k miles on it... from a mitz dealer
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
I'd assume that 32k is a base model. .
I saw this thread, the dealer is selling the car with SSS for $31999.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/hu...o-evo-evo.html

Granted, I'd have to spend $1000 to get it trucked back to Kansas City....
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wizechef
also try to expand your search location... i live in NJ, and i have a house in FL, i couldnt find anything that i wanted in NJ. kept searching for 2 months.. i finally founded an 8 in FL for $23k w/ 18k miles on it... from a mitz dealer
Oh believe me, I'm searching nationally...in my town we have exactly 3 new Evos for sale, each one treated like it is a Ferrari by the dealership. No wonder they are tiny dealers who can't move inventory....
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by DefBringer
I saw this thread, the dealer is selling the car with SSS for $31999.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/hu...o-evo-evo.html

Granted, I'd have to spend $1000 to get it trucked back to Kansas City....
Fly out there and cross country it back! Just bring painters tape for the front end, doors, and area in front of the rear wheels.

That's how I got my first X. If I can drive from Orange County to Tennessee, you can make it to Kansas!
Evolved Member

You also have to remember that these are limited production cars, therefore they do not depreciate as much as most other cars on the market.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
You also have to remember that these are limited production cars, therefore they do not depreciate as much as most other cars on the market.
That's good news for a guy like me who is lucky to make it 2 years into a car before I'm ready to trade it in.

I took a $3000 bath on my 335i after owning it only for 8 months. I decided to sell it to Carmax rather after dealing with the multitude of morons on Autotrader.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by DefBringer
That's good news for a guy like me who is lucky to make it 2 years into a car before I'm ready to trade it in.

I took a $3000 bath on my 335i after owning it only for 8 months. I decided to sell it to Carmax rather after dealing with the multitude of morons on Autotrader.
Ugh, you sound like me. I took a bath on a 335i, but a much bigger one on a 135i. This is my fourth Evo. I am trying to be happy and stay put. I really like the car a lot, just don't like the 2k upside down-ness from my past bad trading choices.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Ugh, you sound like me. I took a bath on a 335i, but a much bigger one on a 135i. This is my fourth Evo. I am trying to be happy and stay put. I really like the car a lot, just don't like the 2k upside down-ness from my past bad trading choices.
Aren't you on your second X in 2 years (with a 135 in the middle)? And you're selling again?

I wish I had that kind of cash to throw around I felt guilty for ditching my last car after 2 years.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you decide to go with South Coast Mitsubishi, do not go pick it up. Have it delivered.

I bought mine from them almost exactly a year ago and picked it up from them in person 11 months ago. I paid IL sales tax and registration, had plates with me to put on the car when I picked it up... when I got there, they wouldn't let me have the car unless I paid CA sales tax. Something they completely failed to mention even though I already paid the first car payment on the damn car without ever seeing it in person or even a picture of it. I was just told "yeah it's blue, has the aero kit, SSS package and has 7 miles on it" and I said "that one's mine, I'll put $500 down right now" and then told them I would be picking it up.

I found out about the sales tax BS on my ride from the airport to the dealer and forked over another $2800. Flash forward a year and I'm still waiting on my $2400 IL sales tax amend/return. It'll be nice once I get my $2400 back, but this was a horrible experience and I have a lengthy review of South Coast Mitsu on these forums as a result. I would not have put a review if Sam didn't tell me "go ahead and bash us on the forums."

They just move tons of these cars at very slight profit in order to cash in on Mitsubishi's bonuses for moving inventory.

Lastly, they "LET" me use my credit card to pay the sales tax. They had to call up corporate to ask permission and treated it like they were doing me a favor, LETTING me pay the sales tax so that I can drive the car off the lot. They also claimed they couldn't get the car towed the 50-100 miles or whatever it took to get to the Nevada border so we could circumvent the sales tax dilemma.

One last gripe/complaint: Sam knew I was coming to pick this thing up a month ahead of time and simply forgot about it, I reminded him again and again as it was drawing near. I still waited at the airport for almost half an hour and still had to sit at the dealership for hours before I could even see the car.

On the plus side, they gave a $20 coupon to get gas at a nearby station... yep, that's right, the only positive experience I had there was $20 in gas :P

Last edited by Frankiago; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I feel your pain!

I searched nationwide on my used 335i and found an amazing deal on one. Even though, when I went to go sell it it was impossible...the market is FLOODED with them. I kept dropping the price on mine until I was basically the cheapest one in the midwest. People started asking me "has it been wrecked, why is the price so low?". But nobody would actually get serious about it. Pissed me off.

Traded it into Carmax for a fair price and got a Z06 that I transferred from Vegas. Z06 had check engine light come on immediately and carpet was jacked up. Transferred another Z06 from Connecticut...this one had really obvious syncho problems, could not shift into 2nd. (how did this make it past inspection?!). After that I gave up on Corvettes.

So now I'm back where I was 2 years ago....looking at Evos. LOL. This will be my second.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
If you decide to go with South Coast Mitsubishi, do not go pick it up. Have it delivered.

I bought mine from them almost exactly a year ago and picked it up from them in person 11 months ago. I paid IL sales tax and registration, had plates with me to put on the car when I picked it up... when I got there, they wouldn't let me have the car unless I paid CA sales tax. Something they completely failed to mention even though I already paid the first car payment on the damn car without ever seeing it in person or even a picture of it. I was just told "yeah it's blue, has the aero kit, SSS package and has 7 miles on it" and I said "that one's mine, I'll put $500 down right now" and then told them I would be picking it up.

I found out about the sales tax BS on my ride from the airport to the dealer and forked over another $2800. Flash forward a year and I'm still waiting on my $2400 IL sales tax amend/return. It'll be nice once I get my $2400 back, but this was a horrible experience and I have a lengthy review of South Coast Mitsu on these forums as a result. I would not have put a review if Sam didn't tell me "go ahead and bash us on the forums."

They just move tons of these cars at very slight profit in order to cash in on Mitsubishi's bonuses for moving inventory.

Lastly, they "LET" me use my credit card to pay the sales tax. They had to call up corporate to ask permission and treated it like they were doing me a favor, LETTING me pay the sales tax so that I can drive the car off the lot. They also claimed they couldn't get the car towed the 50-100 miles or whatever it took to get to the Nevada border so we could circumvent the sales tax dilemma.

One last gripe/complaint: Sam knew I was coming to pick this thing up a month ahead of time and simply forgot about it, I reminded him again and again as it was drawing near. I still waited at the airport for almost half an hour and still had to sit at the dealership for hours before I could even see the car.

On the plus side, they gave a $20 coupon to get gas at a nearby station... yep, that's right, the only positive experience I had there was $20 in gas :P
Whoa wait a minute....you had to pay California sales tax even though you're not a Cali resident? Uhh...is that even legal? What did the state of Illinois have to say about that?

This COMPLETELY changes things...no way in hell am I paying sales tax twice.

Quick Reply: High prices on used Evos? Are people getting what they're asking?