Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X wins 2010 Rally America championship

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEFR Pics

Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xi
It really pisses me off that somehow subaru has managed to corner the budget awd car market and have a lot of factory backing while mitsu can't get 2 year old cars off the lot and has zilch for their biggest fans who are keeping their performance line alive...
It's not like the STI is a big volume seller. The lower priced WRX is what allowed them to claim the market. Mitsubishi only brought the EVO to North America when Subaru decided to bring the STI. Mitsubishi missed the boat by not having a proper Ralliart available to compete with the WRX in the early 90's.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

That thing is straight beasting!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I was there...that was truly awesome..but guys come on I was in need of some help.I was the only evo..there was like 80 subys, they were like beurk....and evo,lol....I was like...beurkk a subaru 5 doors lol
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
2010 after less then two years from the FIRST production year, the Evo X WON the Rally America Championship. It is more amazing if you think about , they were competing a same time with the same car in the Canadian rally championship too.

Makes it really interesting that fact , its a FIRST evo won the Championship, is actually an Evo X.....

I think there is no more to say after this... LOL

Rob
_____

the first rally by the CT9A evolution VIII was immediately won by the Team Mitsubishi USA in 2003 by David Higgins and Co-driver Laughlin O'Sullivan under the 2003 SCCA Pro-rally Championship which covered basically what Rally America is now. Because of the resounding success of this motorsport event, mitsubishi decided not to repeat and most winners after that were privateers.

http://www.davidhigginsrally.com/com...n-history.php5

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=2&news=2206
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

oh and btw. Ken Block is freaking amazing. he as that..look at me girls and boys. stylish as hell. betterout of the track than on it..he always crash is poor little ****ty american car llol. Pastrana is a really good driver but you know when you choose subaru instead of mitsu..well your engin let you remind that your not in the right car
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
the first rally by the CT9A evolution VIII was immediately won by the Team Mitsubishi USA in 2003 by David Higgins and Co-driver Laughlin O'Sullivan under the 2003 SCCA Pro-rally Championship which covered basically what Rally America is now. Because of the resounding success of this motorsport event, mitsubishi decided not to repeat and most winners after that were privateers.

http://www.davidhigginsrally.com/com...n-history.php5

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=2&news=2206
khm... Rally America is as far as know , has nothing to do with SCCA, it is two different event - championship.
JUst like Lime Rock or Laguna Seca run by different organization - championship. And sometimes with a same cars....
SCCA pulled out, if im right because they consider the Rally too dangerous. LOL
Well i think after some deadly accident.

I dont follow too much US rally before 2009. But Rally America came a alive with some SCCA members , but they dont consider it as a SCCA events. So there for with they logic is a brand new Series of events. And has nothing to do with SCCA , never been won by Evo before.
As i sad in my post :
"Makes it really interesting that fact , its a FIRST evo won the Championship, is actually an Evo X....."
The CT9A could have defend his championship after the SCCA pulled out . RA is a different organization.

I wasnt say , never won evo before any other championship... WHich is in this case irrrevelant i will explain why, besides the things above:

As you said when 2003 they won it was a Factory backed up team...
And as today isn't really. Also the CT9A wasnt really less then two years old design , perhaps the engine was even older and so on so forth when they won in 2003...

In contest , the CT9A still compete in the RA events with a long and stellar history today. With all those years experience against the new comer. But the new evo lived up his name and concur against all odds.

We can go back and forth , but the fact is . This is a RA event, and its a first time the EVo is a champ. And that is a X.
The CT9A had and has its chance to beat it since the RA exists , but couldn't do it.
It was a straight Subaru triumph until now.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 21, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Great to see a win for Mitsubishi!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Mitsubishi only brought the EVO to North America when Subaru decided to bring the STI. Mitsubishi missed the boat by not having a proper Ralliart available to compete with the WRX in the early 90's.
Hey man, I'm not trying to bust on you, but neither of these is correct since you said "North America", which would include both our countries.

The Evo came to the USA first in 2003. Shortly after the announcement of the Evo VIII coming here, Subaru announced they would be bringing the STI, which was a 2004 model and arrived a few months later. They made a big spectacle of it, as a Mitsu rep was holding his crotch in mock pain that they didn't get to have the corner on the news too long before Subaru announced a higher power STI.

As far as the WRX in the early 90s, I have no idea when it came to Canada, but in Japan, the Evo actually debuted a month before the WRX, October 1992 versus November 1992. But the real heritage started with the Galant VR-4, which is where the Evo got its drivetrain, and was available in the USA in 1991 and 1992, and as early as 1987 production (for a 1988 model) in Japan.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Both the Galant and 4wd Starion was used through the (70's and on Galant) and (80's Starion). Mitsubishi has also won more Dakar championships than any other automaker with the Montero and are now seeking wins with the racing Lancer!

Originally Posted by Noize
Hey man, I'm not trying to bust on you, but neither of these is correct since you said "North America", which would include both our countries.

The Evo came to the USA first in 2003. Shortly after the announcement of the Evo VIII coming here, Subaru announced they would be bringing the STI, which was a 2004 model and arrived a few months later. They made a big spectacle of it, as a Mitsu rep was holding his crotch in mock pain that they didn't get to have the corner on the news too long before Subaru announced a higher power STI.

As far as the WRX in the early 90s, I have no idea when it came to Canada, but in Japan, the Evo actually debuted a month before the WRX, October 1992 versus November 1992. But the real heritage started with the Galant VR-4, which is where the Evo got its drivetrain, and was available in the USA in 1991 and 1992, and as early as 1987 production (for a 1988 model) in Japan.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize

Noize,

I messed up in my original post and meant early 00 not 90's. Subaru was a little niche brand that nobody paid attention to in North America until the WRX came out in 2002 and put them on the map to young buyers craving affordable performance. With Mitsu killing off the DSM in the late 90's they left the door wide open for Subaru who took the ball and never looked back. Bringing the EVO in 2003 was great but EVO's were not nearly as attainable as the WRX for young buyers. There's a large group of young drivers driving and modding 2002 and up WRX's which has turned into a legion of rabid fanboys that eat up anything Subaru. I mean no matter how ugly Subaru makes their cars these guys just can't get enough of them.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats to Estage for this year and ACP last year, and most importantly to Mitsubishi for making such a great car that connects to and proves its rally engineering!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I think heavyD summed it up just about perfectly there...
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:04 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
who got 2nd place? 3rd?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Noize,

I messed up in my original post and meant early 00 not 90's. Subaru was a little niche brand that nobody paid attention to in North America until the WRX came out in 2002 and put them on the map to young buyers craving affordable performance. With Mitsu killing off the DSM in the late 90's they left the door wide open for Subaru who took the ball and never looked back. Bringing the EVO in 2003 was great but EVO's were not nearly as attainable as the WRX for young buyers. There's a large group of young drivers driving and modding 2002 and up WRX's which has turned into a legion of rabid fanboys that eat up anything Subaru. I mean no matter how ugly Subaru makes their cars these guys just can't get enough of them.
Ah, we are in the same boat then, friend.

Quick Reply: Evo X wins 2010 Rally America championship