Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Do you daily drive your X?
Yes, year round.
81.01%
Yes, but it sleeps for winter.
7.26%
No, not a daily driver.
11.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Is the X your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't understand how anyone would buy a car like this and leave it sit.....
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bradze
i really don't understand how anyone would buy a car like this and leave it sit.....
+1
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:47 PM

yup DD indeed
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont see why you would get a 35k car and not drive it.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hoping to be able to get one someday..but it will not a DD..
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradze
I really don't understand how anyone would buy a car like this and leave it sit.....
Because of rust. Obviously you dont live in a state that uses salt in the winter. It makes doing any kind of suspension or underbody work a huge headache because all the bolts seize. Not to mention this...

Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mag00n
Because of rust. Obviously you dont live in a state that uses salt in the winter.
Exactly. I bet we can't find a single person in our area who drives his car in the salt and claims to care about it at the same time. Folks won't even buy shells that were driven in the winter due to work need to bring them back.

Originally Posted by Mag00n
What do you guys do to prevent rust?
The salt will get into every nook and cranny, and do its thing. At first the damage will appear as minor surface corrosion easily discounted a minor wear and tear. However, the fun is just beginning. Over the course of a several years, the salt will begin to eat away at the little-seen parts of the car. Once that corrosion is discovered, it's too late. There's only one solution that works - don't expose the car to salt.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 25, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
double post
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
There's only one solution that works - don't expose the car to salt.
Or fix it the trouble spots. . Easy work for anyone bodywork competent

I've driven my car through like 5 winters now in the NE. In fact I don't even DD the car anymore but when the weather is crap I'm in the EVO. AWD and snow tires it's a beast.

But I don't care about my car right
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:45 AM

How can you NOT drive this car everyday? I just got new tires to replace the stock ones and I'm in love all over again.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:02 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Or fix it the trouble spots. . Easy work for anyone bodywork competent
Sure, everyone wants to cutoff body panels, weld-in other martial, block, sand, and paint. Sounds very easy and rewarding. A nice weekend project. Even when it's finished, there's still all the other rust to deal with, but what does that matter? We're all fully willing and capable of rebuilding the entire car from its floor pan on up, and the expense is surely minimal. Brilliant.

I've driven my car through like 5 winters now in the NE. In fact I don't even DD the car anymore but when the weather is crap I'm in the EVO. AWD and snow tires it's a beast.
I know you no longer drive the +100,000 mile RS that you stopped listing under your username. I imagine the car to be in superb condition. The TB is your girlfriend's car, correct?

But I don't care about my car right
AFAIK, you don't live in Upstate, NY.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 25, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Doesn't get driven enough...almost 2 years old and barely a 1000 miles on the odometer
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Sure, everyone wants to cutoff body panels, weld-in other martial, block, sand, and paint. Sound very easy and rewarding. A nice weekend project. Even when it's finished, there's still all the other rust to deal with, but what does that matter? We're all fully willing and capable of rebuilding the entire car from its floor pan on up, and the expense is surely minimal. Brilliant.

I know you no longer drive the +100,000 mile RS that you stopped listing under your username. I imagine the car to be in superb condition. The TB is your girlfriend's car, correct?

AFAIK, you don't live in Upstate, NY.

Yea I don't live in Upstate NY. They salt in NJ (nothing too crazy). In PA they use cinders. My car is back and forth between those two states.

The RS is hers she's no longer my GF (hence not in my sig. Someone elses issue now ) but the car is in great condition last I saw it

I own the 120k mile TB VIII and have for the past what 6 years now and yes it is still great condition. I bought this car as an only car for it's all year round capabilities and drove as such until last year when I bought a new DD.

I understand that anywhere water will go salt will go and that is a potential rust spot as the salt water sits there. Deal is if I see something that is a trouble area with the car I'll address it early and fix it as I did behind the rear bumper beam which is a trouble spot on all CT9A's. Addressed early the extent of work you mentioned is not needed.

Luckily for my car restoration is not new to the family so...

That said nothing wrong with not wanting you car subjected to harsh winter conditions, road salt, grime etc... I fact I have taken the advise of you and your detailing gods to try new car care products instead of grabbing the same old bottle of Megguires of the shelf at autozone
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
The RS is hers she's no longer my GF (hence not in my sig. Someone elses issue now ) but the car is in great condition last I saw it

I own the 120k mile TB VIII and have for the past what 6 years now and yes it is still great condition. I bought this car as an only car for it's all year round capabilities and drove as such until last year when I bought a new DD.
Well, call me confused. With this in mind, it's hard to understand why the RS was listed as your car under your username for the last 4 years, and why you always referred to it as your car. I love a well-articulated opinion, but all this makes further discussion useless.

I understand that anywhere water will go salt will go and that is a potential rust spot as the salt water sits there. Deal is if I see something that is a trouble area with the car I'll address it early and fix it as I did behind the rear bumper beam which is a trouble spot on all CT9A's. Addressed early the extent of work you mentioned is not needed.
You must not be serious, as you're comparing salt-driven body rust to the surface corrosion behind a crash beam. It's like referring to a rain puddle as a trans-continental waterway. Really, it's insulting to any of us who have to deal with salt.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

daily driver had her 2 months, just hit 6800km ouch! Love it!!

Quick Reply: Is the X your daily driver?