Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

30k Service at Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I was all content with taking my car to the dealer for the 30k mile service. My thought was "eh, if they void my warranty I'll only lose out on the last 6k miles of it" (3-4 months at the rate I've been going). I just realized our powertrain warranty is actually 60k miles though.

Now I'm stuck in a dilemma again
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I read in the service manual that their was a procedure to bleed without the MUT tool.

I think it comprised of waiting like 45 minutes or something...I don't have the service manual with me at work...maybe someone will be kind enough to post it here.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I thought I read in the service manual that their was a procedure to bleed without the MUT tool.

I think it comprised of waiting like 45 minutes or something...I don't have the service manual with me at work...maybe someone will be kind enough to post it here.
I'd be interested in this. I am on a mission to avoid dealership visits like they were the plague!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
30K lists both fluids/oils to be changed. I doublecheked at a performance shop and the dealership to ensure the MUT tool was needed for one of them. ...
Good info for X owners. I honestly wasn't sure, but I guess since it is located back there and being what it is, it is more necessary to get in there at 30k that I was guessing (I just found out that reservoir was back there a few days ago).

BTW - I would hope a reputable shop (not a dealer) would be able to do that fluid change for you either with a tool or through some other method.

Originally Posted by macPSU
So I was all content with taking my car to the dealer for the 30k mile service. My thought was "eh, if they void my warranty I'll only lose out on the last 6k miles of it" (3-4 months at the rate I've been going). I just realized our powertrain warranty is actually 60k miles though.

Now I'm stuck in a dilemma again
Don't you lose your mod status for not DIY on something like a 30k? Please don't ban me!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu

Don't you lose your mod status for not DIY on something like a 30k? Please don't ban me!
Hahaha, aw come on calling me out like that. I really do need to man up and just change the fluids myself. My first concern was the MUT tool and the second concern was laziness. If there's a solution for the former, I'll work on the latter.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Come on someone post the NON MUT method of bleeding the AYC....It's in the service manual...

I'd post it but I'm at work without access to it!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

this is what you're looking for?
Attached Thumbnails 30k Service at Dealership?-ayc1.jpg   30k Service at Dealership?-ayc2.jpg  
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

and by the way, there's 2 methods to checking the AYC level. one with a scan tool and one without the scan tool...maybe this is what you guys are talking about?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
Hahaha, aw come on calling me out like that. I really do need to man up and just change the fluids myself. My first concern was the MUT tool and the second concern was laziness. If there's a solution for the former, I'll work on the latter.
I hear you on the laziness! I don't mind doing work on the Evo but doing the wife's SUV and my pickup usually get put off longer than they should!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I was wrong. The AYC fluid check can be accomplished without a MUT.

But AYC bleeding requires the steps below:

AYC BLEEDING
M1272004800029

CAUTION
At low temperature the fluid viscosity is so high that air bleeding becomes degenerated. Air bleeding should be done at normal temperatures {10 to 30°C (50 to 86°F)}.

1.Lift up the vehicle.
CAUTION
Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK (OFF)" position before connecting or disconnecting the scan tool.

2.Set the scan tool to the 16-pin data link connector. (Refer to P.27-6.)

3.Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.

4.Set the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position.

5.Using the scan tool, forcibly activate the hydraulic unit (item No. 02). (Refer to GROUP 22A − Actuator Test TableP.22A-113.)

NOTE:
ON-VEHICLE SERVICE
TSB Revision
REAR AXLE 27-31

•Forced activation (air bleeding mode) is continued for 5 minutes, and then the operation is canceled automatically. Also, using the clear key on the scan tool, the forced activation can be canceled.

•When the functions are suspended by the fail-safe function, the hydraulic unit cannot be forcibly activated.
AC705201ABVinyl hoseBleederscrew

6.Remove the cap on the left of bleeder screw on the torque transfer mechanism, and connect the vinyl hose.

7.Gradually rotate the steering wheel at the straight-ahead position clockwise. Loosen the left side

We don't have any actuator capabilities in EcuFlash do we?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

^lol is my post invisible? i just posted that. also you missed steps 7 through 12.

Last edited by John83; Aug 5, 2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John83
^lol is my post invisible? i just posted that. also you missed steps 7 through 12.
Hey John,

No, I saw your post but it wasn't how I remembered it, so I went home and looked at the service manual and pretty much validated what you posted.

7-12 won't matter if I don't have a way to do step 5
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

darn, didn't see that. i saw the two methods of checking the ayc level and just assumed
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John83
darn, didn't see that. i saw the two methods of checking the ayc level and just assumed
Yep!

This is a major issue. I am far enough from stock that I refuse to go back to stock. So how do I get this done?

Isn't it illegal to have a service procedure that only the dealer can perform? I guess it doesn't matter.

Ok, who can get a birdy into the EcuFlash devlopers's ear and get this done...I'm at 39k
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

yikes! well good thing my dealership is cool..for the most part.

i'm stilll wondering what fluids to get for my trans case and dif.

Quick Reply: 30k Service at Dealership?