Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Test pipe with stock exhaust system pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test pipe with stock exhaust system pros and cons?

I am planning to get the ultimate racing testpipe for my stock exhaust and wonder if theres any pro and cons to that. Reason for me doing this is that my exhaust will look exactly stock while running a test pipe.

Guys please let me know what I should do! ....will this combo work at all?

thx, drew
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will work, as far as gains I am sure you might see a little but not as much unless you upgrade your full exhaust system. Also keep in mind, that the minute your downpipe and or High flow cat or test pipe is changed, you will need to get a tune. Any real tuner will tell you this. As far as cat back goes you can swap out without a tune, but the main components such as test pipe you will need a tune. Hope this helps you out.

IMO I dont see the point in changing out to a test pipe while running the stock exhaust. Save up your money and change out the entire exhaust. If you want a stock look, you can always go with the buschur set up since their well not "theirs" but they use the magnaflow muffler set up which will look fairly stock. I am not a buschur fan, but it will suit your needs.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why are you going that route? are you worried about loudness? if so, screw it. you'll get used to it.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
why are you going that route? are you worried about loudness? if so, screw it. you'll get used to it.

saw a couple of post on a A3 forum and a couple guys have the mentioned mod for steath... just wondering if its actually a good idea
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:00 AM

Pros: You will gain a minuscule amount of power (rest of your exhaust will still be a bottleneck)
Cons: Noise, pollution, it's illegal
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt that you will gain anything from doing just the test pipe, you still have a bottleneck elsewhere in the system.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

test pipe will yield a bit for you. the cat was my major restriction when being tuned, i opted for cat-back at first, and quickly realized it wasnt worth it without a testpipe. Installing testpipe day after my tune, caused some crazy overboost, as no more restriction from that tiny lil cat.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
probably the best bet to maintain the stock exhaust would be to get an e-cutout
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

con: you will be an environment polluting a-hole for the spectacular gain of .5whp.

go buy a good high flow cat and avoid being a dick.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derekste
con: you will be an environment polluting a-hole for the spectacular gain of .5whp.

ya try 20-40 whp, try again, i LOVE POLLUTING woohoo
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by derekste

pros: 5-7 hp and probably 0 increase in noise
cons: derek will call you names
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
It will work, as far as gains I am sure you might see a little but not as much unless you upgrade your full exhaust system. Also keep in mind, that the minute your downpipe and or High flow cat or test pipe is changed, you will need to get a tune. Any real tuner will tell you this. As far as cat back goes you can swap out without a tune, but the main components such as test pipe you will need a tune. Hope this helps you out.

IMO I dont see the point in changing out to a test pipe while running the stock exhaust. Save up your money and change out the entire exhaust. If you want a stock look, you can always go with the buschur set up since their well not "theirs" but they use the magnaflow muffler set up which will look fairly stock. I am not a buschur fan, but it will suit your needs.
you won't need a tune, if your ECU is stock
you only need a tune if you flash'd first, then add the test pipe

Last edited by MaxR; Aug 21, 2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: add
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I still have my stock cat back. I got a Cobb TP and cobb DP running stage 2.
with a custom tune. Great power, super stealth.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Widoww
ya try 20-40 whp, try again, i LOVE POLLUTING woohoo
Originally Posted by MaxR
pros: 5-7 hp and probably 0 increase in noise
cons: derek will call you names
lol @ 20-40whp. I have dynosheets somewhere of my 1G talon doing back to back runs on the AMS dyno with their hi-flow cat and then without any exhaust after the downpipe. to say the difference was 5awhp is being VERY GENEROUS.

as a side note, gotta love how EvoM forbids street racing threads (state-level misdemeanor at best) yet we can freely discuss running without catalytic converters on street cars which is a federal felony!

it's bad enough our cars struggle to achieve 20mpg on a good day... but seriously, do you really need that extra 5whp? get a small battery and lose 20 pounds and you'll go just as fast . we all breathe the air, don't be a dick.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:59 AM

I run a TP and stock catback with cobb stg 2. The power increase is definately noticeable while exhaust noise is stock. I had to run this as I didn't want an exhaust to bother my newborn during car rides. Now that she's older, I'm installing my catback next weekend!

Quick Reply: Test pipe with stock exhaust system pros and cons?