Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Considering selling the 08 GSR for a 11 SE.... Opinions from MR owners on SST

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering selling the 08 GSR for a 11 SE.... Opinions from MR owners on SST

I've been kicking around the idea of lining up for an SE. It has all the options that I want and has a price point that I can swallow. I currently have a STG1 GSR and I do enjoy the 5 spd when I want to go out and do spirited driving, but it is a little annoying when I get off of night shift after working for 14 hours and have to drive 30 min home in traffic. I have driven a ralliart so I have experienced the sst. I have also researched the forum. I am looking for opinons from experienced GSR and MR owners on the reliability and maint cost of the SST. Also what is the current belief on power levels for this trans, I remember initially that there were specs released and there where torque limits set. Any info is appreciated besides use the search function which has already been done.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Search would have revealed that the SE is a 2010 :-)

But anyways I think it is around 300 that people are saying the limit is but you can get a tranny cooler. Personally i would never get an automatic.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you are in the situation I was in when I bought my MR. I use my car as a daily driver and get stuck in slow traffic lots from work to the gym, etc. so the idea of not having to continually use my left leg to move a car's length for 30 minutes sold me on the TC-SST.

I won't lie and say that it makes you forget about manuals as there are times that I like to row through the gears but still I don't regret getting the MR at all as putting the transmission in S or SS mode shifts faster than I ever could in a manual anyway and you still have nearly the same control if you use the paddle shifters. No problems for me at all with the transmission so far and I'm running Cobb Stg. 2. To me the TC-SST is the best of both worlds and a 5-speed wasn't going to give me that.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. All I have to say is: I wouldn't have gotten this car if it didn't one with heated seats~
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yep the heated seats would be huge here. Just for reference my personal power level goals for either car would be right at about 350->400whp. Stage 2 then down the road a larger intercooler and perhaps a stock frame like the red. I have seen some MRs at higher power levels in the dyno section, I do remember reading about sst torque limits and slipping clutches, I believe it was at around 300ft lbs, has this been increased? Or is this the actual mechanical limits of the trans? Will the MR fill my performance needs of 350-400whp?

The other option that I was toying with was perhaps selling (sticker was 38k) for approx 30k, if I can find a buyer, and going to a 05 or 06 c6 vette for approx 25k and a beater civic 5k. But I just dont know if I could stomach driving that slow of a DD. Delimas delimas.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

I would probably like the SST, but I like shifting the gears the traditional way... and the SST will be VERY expensive to replace if something happens to it and Mitsu will look for ANY way out if they can help it... just to give you an idea... my wheels have corrosion around my center caps... took it to mitsu about a month ago and they are still going over my case... as if anything would excuse wheel corrosion on a 2 year old car.

As far as power goes... I wouldn't go near the car, the standard tranny is obviously more capable of handling a lot more power. Do you have a short shifter or anything that might make things a bit more comfortable for you?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:47 AM

a tranny cooler will only help out the MR a little bit...probably get one more launch depends how hot it is..
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I would probably like the SST, but I like shifting the gears the traditional way... and the SST will be VERY expensive to replace if something happens to it and Mitsu will look for ANY way out if they can help it... just to give you an idea... my wheels have corrosion around my center caps... took it to mitsu about a month ago and they are still going over my case... as if anything would excuse wheel corrosion on a 2 year old car.

As far as power goes... I wouldn't go near the car, the standard tranny is obviously more capable of handling a lot more power. Do you have a short shifter or anything that might make things a bit more comfortable for you?

The price, the newness, and torque limits of the tranny and the fact that I wanted to learn how to drvie a manual (this is my first one) was the reason that I initially shyed away from it (I was actually looking at ralliarts at that time). But I keep thinking of how awesome it would be to have this tranny on a daily driver, it is absolutely state of the art. Its too bad that it isn't as robust as the GTR's.

Thanks for the adice on the short throw, maybe this would make things a little better.

The only other item that bothers me on the car is that I have the lower side skirts and package all around, so I have like no clearance, which shockingly has not been a major issue yet but it deffinately could be in future winters, I can just invision my front spoiler getting busted to peices from a huge snow chunk in the road that I am forced to hit. Can these peices just be taken off to reveil a standard height evo? I also have heard that if you don't have these peices you are more prone to rock chips though.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow, I see a lot of B.S. being thrown around in this thread.

A) Expensive to replace: You can get fully built SST from SSP for ~$4k. This whole $12k deal from mitsubishi is lies as well. You can pick up brand new ones from for well under that.

B) The torque limit of the SST is 300tq: Jeremy at SSP is well into 400wtq (not tq, wtq) on his car now. The SST programming has come a long way, he's raced his car and put it through a ton of abuse. It's doing just fine.

C) The SST is an automatic: NO, it is not an automatic. Guess what? It's not a manual either. People need to stop classifying this transmission in traditional categories. It is neither, it just makes them look foolish when they do. It is a new type of transmission, basically a hybrid of the two categories.

D) It takes a lot of money to upgrade the SST transmission for power: It takes just as much money to upgrade the GSR 5-speed for power. Center differential pins, short throw shifter, clutch, etc. Personally I'll take the quickness of the SST shifting (virtually instant in S & SS modes) over a 5-speed any day. BTW, I was one of those give me 5-speed or give me death guys.

E) The SE is a 2010: In US the SE will be a 2011. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/06/2...t-bits-of-the/

Last edited by migs647; Aug 22, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Wait for the 2011 Evo hybrid ;-)
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not a huge hybrid guy. The batteries are very expensive to replace.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:55 PM

You mean the 2013 Evo Hybrid? I read that they were going the diesel route.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

I don't think anybody knows what they are doing for sure.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I don't think anybody knows what they are doing for sure.
Latest rumour making rounds is diesel hybrid. Which sounds intriguing with lot's of bottom end torque and electric motor power for high rpm.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yah that is the latest, but who knows for sure. I'd definitely NOT buy one if they went diesel. But that's for another thread

Quick Reply: Considering selling the 08 GSR for a 11 SE.... Opinions from MR owners on SST