Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dark Oil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Color of oil means nothing, it is of no indication to it's remaining life.
Color does mean something, black oil means your geting carbon in the oil, some is no big deal, alot can cause faster wear. Also heat can cause darkening of oil, high heat shortens oil life. EVO has a rich tune = more carbon plus its tubocharged = high heat. change your oil at 3000-3500 if you drive hard its cheap insurance.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OH OH ! here comes the AMSOIL huy some will say

well to many opinions in here and no real historical data has been shared. darkening of the oil like some have said is due to many reasons specially in mobile which some think its a cracked oil meaning its on the lowest of the totum poll for synthetics ( you must understand that any oil thats sold on a shelf at a store the main goal is sel sell sell, yes they care about the well being of your car but not as much as the other big companies sellin PAO or ester synthetics which are considered to be in the top of the totum poll as far as high quality synthetics )

why will your oil get dark quicker using x brand oil, well simply filtration my friends filtration, as doubtfull as it sounds its 90% true you need a better filter, or the difference from my 90% is 10% and the 10% of cars out there have nasty gunky engines and they just dont know enough or not care enough.

2nd issue is or could be that a turbocharged car will run ritcher than an N/A car dumps more fuel into the combustion chamber creating more acids and oxidation for the oil, heat can turn the oil darker and it can do it very quick to,,, any low end synthetic like Mobile, penzoil ect... they have more wax fillers than high end synthetics and those waxes burn unlike synthetics that dont burn those waxes then could create oxidation and turn black,,, bottom line wax fillers in cracked oils like mobile dont do nothing for your engine matter fact i would not have those in my engine even if i drove a junk car

What to do: Ge a high quality filter and replace them often, but more impotant get a high end synthetic that will keep your engine cleaner and free of junk and reliable, make sure the oil has a high TBN number i like 9s at this range this is important because it tells you the ability of the oil to neutralize oxidation, acids, and carbon deposits, also keep your eye on the the detergent package of the oil. these are important for people running pure ethanol or pump gas that contains ethanol, even race gas and meth cars

you will always have the guy that will say,,, bahh i have used dyno oil in my evo for 50K now and no issues,,, and you will have the guy that says i have used good synthetics in my evo for 50K now,,, lets talk to those 2 guys years down the road i bet you a full case of oil that the guy using synthetics will out perform and outlive the guy with dyno oil in many instances.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:50 PM

Just so you guys know mileage almost doesn't matter as far as your oil goes; age does. Change it every 3months regardless of how much your driving. The reason ads and people say 3k miles is because on average Americans drive 12k miles a year.

This is science, not my personal opinion.

Last edited by dirtyb; Aug 27, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
you will always have the guy that will say,,, bahh i have used dyno oil in my evo for 50K now and no issues,,, and you will have the guy that says i have used good synthetics in my evo for 50K now,,, lets talk to those 2 guys years down the road i bet you a full case of oil that the guy using synthetics will out perform and outlive the guy with dyno oil in many instances.
You always have that guy because there are millions and millions that have used dyno oil and ran their cars for hundreds and thousands of miles. Two years down the road those guys engines are still running unless you can show proof of any engine failures of 4G63 or 4B11 that any oil would have prevented. I'm not advocating that EVO owners switch to dyno oil but any of these engines using any synthetic oil changed on a proper basis will not run into any issues or failures due to lubrication. It's poor tuning, defective parts, or improper assembly that breaks engines and no magic oil will overcome those faults.

Last edited by heavyD; Aug 27, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by heavyD
You always have that guy because there are millions and millions that have used dyno oil and ran their cars for hundreds and thousands of miles. Two years down the road those guys engines are still running unless you can show proof of any engine failures of 4G63 or 4B11 that any oil would have prevented. I'm not advocating that EVO owners switch to dyno oil but any of these engines using any synthetic oil changed on a proper basis will not run into any issues or failures due to lubrication. It's poor tuning, defective parts, or improper assembly that breaks engines and no magic oil will overcome those faults.
Well said.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
One of the things I noticed is after converting to E-85 the oil stays a carmel color at normal change intervals as opposed to black.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD

not trying to argue with you.

but there are great deficiencies in you opinion and its that there is way too many and i mean way too many testing real world and lab testing that proves you wrong.

i am not going to flood this thread with data because you can hit the web and research and i will send you a free case of oil if you can find anywhere where legitimately a dyno oil outperformmed a fully synthetic oil in the long run,,, YOU WONT FIND ANY PROOF.

even simple UOA's in this forum over the years i have seen data where synthetic outperformed dyno all day long,,, i think you are a littl left behind the curve

and you sayin in our last paragraph that an evo running dyno oil should not run into any issues is simply a big miss statement, because we all know what heat does to dyno oil,, dyno oil being 5th out of the 5 types of oils, eventually it will puke your engine inside and out,,, and going allong with the main topic dyno oil will turn black faster than any other oil out there.

bottom line man to argue with established test results is worthless and negligent, given the fact that its been tested by peple that know a little more than you and me.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

3 months? 3k miles? LOL!

you guys need to do UOAs and get a clue. 5k at least, 7500 with good oil, 10k with AMSOIL
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derekste
3 months? 3k miles? LOL!

you guys need to do UOAs and get a clue. 5k at least, 7500 with good oil, 10k with AMSOIL
If you run more than 5K kiss your warranty goodbye.

Last edited by dreamerak; Aug 27, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreamerak
If you run more than 5K kiss your warrenty goodbye.

The mitsubishi warranty? mythical unicorn

There are way too many variables to narrow it down to just quality oil and filters. Saying that dino oil vs. top of the line synthetics the latter will likely last longer years down the road would be foolish. This can only be true if everything remains the same ie: driving condition, temperature, quality/type of fuel and even defects in the assembly of the engine components can affect outcome. I'm sure in lab conditions the best Synthetic out there will surely outperform the conventional oil, but the real world results are hard to come by.
I will continue to use the "low end" Mobil 1 until there is definitively proof that it WILL cause more engine wear/failure over a "high end" synthetic of ANY brand under real world conditions.

Last edited by pikkagtr; Aug 27, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pikkagtr
The mitsubishi warranty? mythical unicorn

There are way too many variables to narrow it down to just quality oil and filters. Saying that dino oil vs. top of the line synthetics the latter will likely last longer years down the road would be foolish. This can only be true if everything remains the same ie: driving condition, temperature, quality/type of fuel and even defects in the assembly of the engine components can affect outcome. I'm sure in lab conditions the best Synthetic out there will surely outperform the conventional oil, but the real world results are hard to come by.
I will continue to use the "low end" Mobil 1 until there is definitively proof that it WILL cause more engine wear/failure over a "high end" synthetic of ANY brand under real world conditions.
Yeah, I think as long as you use a pure synthetic like mobile 1 your fine. Porsche puts it in their turbo, it can't be too bad . one point that needs to be repeated is full synthetic is far superior to dino oil in modern tubo engines. Turbo engine heat kills dino oil fast.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

If you run more than 5K kiss your warranty goodbye.
I don't think you understand how warranties work...
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derekste
I don't think you understand how warranties work...
I don't think you understand how mitsubishi warranties work.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:52 PM

I don't think you understand how mitsubishi warranties work.
Mitsubishi doesn't understand how warranties work, and they're banking on their customers not understanding how they work, or not being able to afford an attorney.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Witness
Mitsubishi doesn't understand how warranties work, and they're banking on their customers not understanding how they work, or not being able to afford an attorney.
I think its more the dealers than mitsu. Mitsu says change oil at 5K or 3k under severe conditions. If you go 7 or 10K between changes and have engine problems,count on warranty denial. this is true with any manufacturer. I belive Mitsu. understands exactly how warranties work, if you mod your car and damage it don't expect them to cover it under warranty.

Last edited by dreamerak; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Dark Oil