Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dark Oil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamerak
I think its more the dealers than mitsu. Mitsu says change oil at 5K or 3k under severe conditions. If you go 7 or 10K between changes and have engine problems,count on warranty denial. this is true with any manufacturer. I belive Mitsu. understands exactly how warranties work, if you mod your car and damage it don't expect them to cover it under warranty.
Agreed! Stealerships FTL
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:38 AM

How can the dealership / mitsubishi determine if you changed your oil at 3k miles, 5k miles or 7k miles?

I don't let the dealership change my oil because I got sick of them taking a long time to change it and taking my car (s) on joy rides.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tack
How can the dealership / mitsubishi determine if you changed your oil at 3k miles, 5k miles or 7k miles?

I don't let the dealership change my oil because I got sick of them taking a long time to change it and taking my car (s) on joy rides.
they cant and they dont,,,, it is PROHIBITTED for any manufacturer to void your warranty on your transmission because you have an intake,,,, nedless to say they SHALL NOT void your warranty because you are using a high end synthetic a few extra miles unless failure is directly related to the oil, then if oil caused the failure and you and AMSOIL prove it AMSOIL will waranty any damages.

read away below on MAGNUSON ACT LAW: http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx

If you are interested in using AMSOIL motor oil, but concerned that using a synthetic oil or extending your oil drain interval will void his warranty, you have no need for concern. Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals warranties remain intact when AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are used.

Synthetic motor oil was introduced to the automotive public in 1972 by AMSOIL, INC., with the world's first API rated synthetic motor oil specially formulated for long service and superior performance and protection to that of conventional oils.

FOR YOU THAT THOUGH AMSOIL WAS A FOLLOWER AND NOT A LEADER ^^^^

Last edited by apagan01; Aug 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Witness
Mitsubishi doesn't understand how warranties work, and they're banking on their customers not understanding how they work, or not being able to afford an attorney.
or also counting on the fact that you are a young kid with an evo that believes the hype and lies their sometiumes intrainned service personell feed you.

people that are usually educated with simple matters on how to defend and look out for themselves usually come out ahead in these cases.

now being realistic,,, if you blow you TC because you have a twin disck and you are speed shifing at the track then thats a different case,, or if you bolt on a red and turn up the wick 30psi all day then i would denny your warranty also.

choose your battles and choose a dealer that is mod friendly, my local mitsu dealer is very mod friendly i had a cutome tune, TBE, intake and cossi cams and they still worked all issues with me without questions, because they had some comon sence and understood that would not impact much at all.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

You keep the receipts of the oil and filters you buy plus a log of the work done the car and the mileage it was done. if you take it to the dealer keep a file of all service done.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They also tend to over tighten you drain plug

Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
they cant and they dont,,,, it is PROHIBITTED for any manufacturer to void your warranty on your transmission because you have an intake,,,, nedless to say they SHALL NOT void your warranty because you are using a high end synthetic a few extra miles unless failure is directly related to the oil, then if oil caused the failure and you and AMSOIL prove it AMSOIL will waranty any damages.

read away below on MAGNUSON ACT LAW: http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx

If you are interested in using AMSOIL motor oil, but concerned that using a synthetic oil or extending your oil drain interval will void his warranty, you have no need for concern. Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals warranties remain intact when AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are used.

Synthetic motor oil was introduced to the automotive public in 1972 by AMSOIL, INC., with the world's first API rated synthetic motor oil specially formulated for long service and superior performance and protection to that of conventional oils.

FOR YOU THAT THOUGH AMSOIL WAS A FOLLOWER AND NOT A LEADER ^^^^
No one said using amsoil will void your warranty. and yes no auto manufacturer can void an entire warranty. what they can do is refuse coverage to componets damaged by not following their maintenance schedual. also if you mod your car to make more power, (intake) even if the gain is small and you want drivetrain coverage, get ready for a fight. ( a lot of this depends on the dealer ) One other point, Mitsubishi has VERY good lawyers and lots of money to pay them, if you go to court against them bring a wheelbarrow full of money, and a good lawyer too. yes magnuson was passed to protect the consumer, but to win in court you have to prove your case.

Last edited by dreamerak; Aug 29, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

you can pretty much write off your powertrain warranty the minute you change the air filter. if you do something stupid/expensive enough to fix, they'll find a way out of fixing it (without a long legal battle as you state)

within 5 seconds of popping my hood, my dealer knew my car was modified. this did not prevent them from replacing front seats, aero kit sideskirt, radio, vent, weatherstripping, and a few other things I am not remembering offhand. oh, and they know I'm converted to E85. would I ever try something stupid like trying to get an engine/clutch/driveline part replaced? of course not.

at any rate, the warranty is a joke. you could probably run the factory fill of oil for the duration of the entire 36k bumper to bumper warranty and not notice any ill effects...
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derekste
you can pretty much write off your powertrain warranty the minute you change the air filter. if you do something stupid/expensive enough to fix, they'll find a way out of fixing it (without a long legal battle as you state)

within 5 seconds of popping my hood, my dealer knew my car was modified. this did not prevent them from replacing front seats, aero kit sideskirt, radio, vent, weatherstripping, and a few other things I am not remembering offhand. oh, and they know I'm converted to E85. would I ever try something stupid like trying to get an engine/clutch/driveline part replaced? of course not.

at any rate, the warranty is a joke. you could probably run the factory fill of oil for the duration of the entire 36k bumper to bumper warranty and not notice any ill effects...
Your dealer replaced the front seats, aero kit sideskirt, radio, vent, weatherstripping, and a few other things and then you say the warranty is a joke? As this is an oil thread, the main point i was trying to make is, if you follow mitsubishi's oil change schedule and use the right grade of oil, the dealer can't try to pull some BS because you went 10 K between oil changes.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:03 PM

Will a dealer ever say, "You didn't get your oil changed here so your warranty is voided."?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Will a dealer ever say, "You didn't get your oil changed here so your warranty is voided."?
A dealer can't void a warranty, they can deny warranty coverage if you do something stupid or damage a component thru negelct, or mod it in some way that they or the manufacturer determine caused the damage. Lets say someone brings in their evo with a rod knock and the oil level is 3 quarts low. This would fall under the stupid catagory. no engine coverage. or someone brings in their 450 awhp evo and it's blowing smoke, again no engine coverage. If a dealer tells you "You didn't get your oil changed here so your warranty is voided" call the manufacturer and file a formal complaint, this is illegal.

Last edited by dreamerak; Aug 30, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

As part of the new model training for technicians for the EVO X, a new service interval for changing the oil and filter is being instituted for this new vehicle. For all new EVO X models, GSR and MR, the engine oil and filter change interval is now 3000 miles or sooner. (The previous interval was recommended at 5000 miles). The required oil is Mobil One Synthetic 5W30. As in the past, it states clearly in the owners manual that the oil should be checked and maintained at the proper every time the car is filled with gas, without exception. This will help prevent premature engine failure from improper oil level which can lead to bearing damage and engine failure.

As in the past, engine failure is not a warranty matter if the engine was not maintained properly. Proper maintenance includes changing the oil and filter at the factory recommended intervals, using Genuine Mitsubishi parts, and maintaining the proper oil level in between oil services.

The new vehicle warranty for this new EVO X is new 3 year 36,000 basic and 5 year 60,000 Powertrain coverage. As in the past, proper maintenance of the vehicle is essential if a warranty repair is to be performed. Any modifications made to the powertrain and especially the engine may invalidate the powertrain warranty. Please encourage your customers to leave the powertrain in its factory designed condition, particularly if they desire to have their vehicle covered under the Mitsubishi factory warranty.

There are many other changes to this new and exciting model. Be sure to discuss them with your technician when he returns from the 081 technician training class.

The dealer I purchased my car from in Dec. 2008 showed me this bulletin from MMNA. This cleared up any question of what the recommended oil change interval was when using Mobil 1.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:58 AM

some actual testing and data showing that mobil 1 is total crap

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twistyking
As part of the new model training for technicians for the EVO X, a new service interval for changing the oil and filter is being instituted for this new vehicle. For all new EVO X models, GSR and MR, the engine oil and filter change interval is now 3000 miles or sooner. (The previous interval was recommended at 5000 miles). The required oil is Mobil One Synthetic 5W30. As in the past, it states clearly in the owners manual that the oil should be checked and maintained at the proper every time the car is filled with gas, without exception. This will help prevent premature engine failure from improper oil level which can lead to bearing damage and engine failure.

As in the past, engine failure is not a warranty matter if the engine was not maintained properly. Proper maintenance includes changing the oil and filter at the factory recommended intervals, using Genuine Mitsubishi parts, and maintaining the proper oil level in between oil services.

The new vehicle warranty for this new EVO X is new 3 year 36,000 basic and 5 year 60,000 Powertrain coverage. As in the past, proper maintenance of the vehicle is essential if a warranty repair is to be performed. Any modifications made to the powertrain and especially the engine may invalidate the powertrain warranty. Please encourage your customers to leave the powertrain in its factory designed condition, particularly if they desire to have their vehicle covered under the Mitsubishi factory warranty.

There are many other changes to this new and exciting model. Be sure to discuss them with your technician when he returns from the 081 technician training class.

The dealer I purchased my car from in Dec. 2008 showed me this bulletin from MMNA. This cleared up any question of what the recommended oil change interval was when using Mobil 1.
Here'a a 2011 doc from Mitsu's web site, looks like it's still 5 or 3k on oil change. http://mitsubishicars.com/media/owne...dule_Turbo.pdf
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:32 PM

using Genuine Mitsubishi parts
Mitsubishi is really irritating. This is illegal.

Any modifications made to the powertrain and especially the engine may invalidate the powertrain warranty. Please encourage your customers to leave the powertrain in its factory designed condition, particularly if they desire to have their vehicle covered under the Mitsubishi factory warranty.
They forgot to mention the part where they have to prove that those modifications are causing failures...

Quick Reply: Dark Oil