Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dark Oil

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w.r.t. my previous comments about warranty being useless... I was simply implying that if you do something to the engine as simple as an air filter, you risk losing your warranty on the powertrain, nothing else.

I personally do all of my own powertrain work, and wouldn't let a Mitsu tech touch any part of it unless someone put a gun to my head, and I accept that anything I do to my car even as simple as an air filter, might void powertrain warranty. basically, I have written it off anyways, thus have no qualms about running 7500+ mile oil drain intervals.

that being said, I am more than happy to let Mitsu give me free parts and tackle the tedious stuff like replacing dash pieces and sideskirts.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

i'm probably going to stick with what mitsu recommends - i'm sure they did plenty of testing to ensure it's good for our cars, so we don't have to read 500 opinions on forums to discover otherwise .
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
i'm probably going to stick with what mitsu recommends - i'm sure they did plenty of testing to ensure it's good for our cars, so we don't have to read 500 opinions on forums to discover otherwise .
you're right, you don't have to read 500 opinions. all you need is a couple of UOA results.

I've been lazy and have the past 2 oil changes' specimens sitting on the shelf waiting to be tested, and I'll take another sample when I change this weekend. perhaps I'll send all 3 of them in to show you what back-to-back-to-back 7500 oil changes REALLY look like. feel free to donate to the project :P
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xdmitrix
yes it does suck that its full of opinions that are empty words and not real data to help educate others.

issue is people want to hear what they want to hear, they dont like to be offered answers. once you then offer them real data dn test results they also manage to question it even if its legit and smart datsa
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01
yes it does suck that its full of opinions that are empty words and not real data to help educate others.

issue is people want to hear what they want to hear, they dont like to be offered answers. once you then offer them real data dn test results they also manage to question it even if its legit and smart datsa
Oh the irony pains me.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:57 PM

For my next oil change I am going to go with AMSOIL and see if I notice performance changes.

To the comment about doing what Mitsubishi recommends I have to say that I have essentially followed that to the letter. I intend on keeping my X forever and I want it to perform as well as it did on day one. When my warranty runs out I will start modding the car with hopeless abandon though...
Old Sep 3, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tack
For my next oil change I am going to go with AMSOIL and see if I notice performance changes.
you shouldn't, but if the only measurement tool you are using is your butt dyno, you may...