Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AGP Piping Installed - BOV Flutter?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGP Piping Installed - BOV Flutter?

Hello,

Today I installed an AGP cold air intake and intercooler piping.

After the install, I drove it around the block and noticed flutter, which sounds like turbo surge. Can someone verify if I installed the bov correctly?

The second picture shows how I bypassed the small line which led to the bov.

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Fail. You can't bypass that line. That line is what operates the BOV. Reconnect that line, test drive, and drink until you pass out (after the test drive that is). But no all kidding aside, that vacuum line supplies the BOV with vacuum when you let off to operate the recirculation of the BOV.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:29 PM

Thank you. If I connect the vacuum line to the bov, can I block off the other line that would be left? The line that is currently connected to vacuum?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:14 PM

I am amazed...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:25 AM

To make it more clear, would it be ok to block off the hose with the dashed white line? It splits to a solenoid that I'm unsure of what it does.

Reason I ask is because I have no fittings to circulate this off AGP's kit.

Please see the hose circled in red:

Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Leave that one VTA and reconnect that line to the BOV.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

all right sorry sorry, but this was so full of fail i cracked for like a full five minutes.

before anything else, it looks like you bypassed ANOTHER line below the one you circled...you sure that one is correct, too?

can you take a wider pic, so we can see where all the hoses are routed? kind of hard to give you a complete diagnosis based on what is shown. i was going to say that one is supposed to VTA, but it looks like that hose is already connected near that mess of hoses near the turbo inlet...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:19 AM

The other smaller lines were not touched. Just the two connected to the intake elbow and bov. I'll go ahead and reconnect the gray vacuum line to the bov and leave the dashed line to atmosphere. For my reference, what is this line for?

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm not very familiar with turbo setups.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

To be honest I'm not completely sure how the lines were routed to begin with, I haven't gotten this far on my X yet since I just got it, but am experienced in turbo vehicles. Put the lines back to the way they were before. How were the two routed before the intake? One obviously goes to the BOV, where did the other go that you used to bypass?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:55 AM

The other one went into the intake elbow. I still don't know what it is or what it does.

Anyone?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd be amazed if you weren't a troll.

The first step to doing any work: Don't touch anything unless you know what you are doing.

The small nipple on the BOV needs vacuum.

If the line that you connected to vacuum from your BCS was the line that was originally connected to the intake pipe you can vent it to the atmosphere (though it is recommended to plumb back in), but if it was originally connected to a boost source (turbo outlet elbow, etc) then it must be connected to a boost source still or your turbo will spool up unregulated and your engine will probably make a nice popping sound and vent the block.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bluewind
The other one went into the intake elbow. I still don't know what it is or what it does.

Anyone?
I'm not completely sure what the line does, but looks like a vacuum source? I just looked at mine and the line goes to both solenoids and then both solenoids splice to one line which go to the Turbo outlet pipe and the WGA, so I'm guessing they are some kind of turbo WGA control solenoids of sorts. Still not up on Evo and the 4B11 yet but I'm getting there, all just nuts and bolts . Now that I think about it, it might be a vent line for the solenoids. The turbo outlet line probably controls the WGA and when the computer wants to adjust that, it uses the solenoids to vent the line which vents it back into the intake tract behind the MAF so it doesn't lose any metered air. I'm guessing you can VTA it but if it were me I would find a way to vent it back into the system, but definitely don't just block it off. First and foremost, hook the BOV line back up and test to make sure it's working correctly.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seriously,

get a wider pic.

if you're in socal i'll even help you out and fix this. you're asking 101 questions when people already gave you the single answer you need: route it like it was before.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks Racingguy13, that makes sense. I couldn't understand why AGP would design the system without a return if it was required. I'll see if there's a place I can plumb it back in.

I re-connected the vacuum to the bov and all is well. After this mod, pickup is noticeably worse. It seems the 3" piping that the MAF sensor is relocated to throws parameters very far off factory spec. Idle is a little erratic, but just slight. A tune is mandatory for any power gains to be reaped.

Quick Reply: AGP Piping Installed - BOV Flutter?