Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

my Evo X won't start!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Evo X won't start!

once or twice a month my car won't start! like the first crank !!. I have to wait about a min. or two and then it turn on's...when it finally does it ...it sounds weak untill it rev's up to about 1rpm ...what could it be?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:45 PM

it's an 08 GSR with 6k bought it new...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:54 PM

Modified? You change out your fuel relays?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NotAnEvoOwner
Modified? You change out your fuel relays?
dont think he has mods since his sig says "stock for now"
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think it's a fuel relay issue.

If your car sat for a while, the battery might be on it's way out. I'd have the dealership replace the battery.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

do a battery test and see what your battery put out.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Then change the fuel relays:-)
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the battery is going. Let me guess...your car has the stock Panasonic? If so, go to the dealership and ask them to replace it under warranty. Similar thing happened with my Evo X. The stock Panasonic battery died within 6 months of owning the car. The dealership replaced it under warranty with an Optima Redtop battery.

A decent number of other owners have had this same issue and have had the dealership replace the battery under warranty.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:06 PM

so guess what??? I just got off work and it did it AGAIN!! .... what the HELL btw I have always had this issue since I bough in Jan. of 09!! but Recently it's gotten WORSE!!....

I'm Stock

I do have the Panasonic Battery "the stock one of course'

but it does crank it ...like it wants to start ...my car did sit for weeks at times but not anymore ...been 6 months that I drive it atleast 5 times a week..not very long maybe 100 miles a week
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

yeah its something with the panasonic battery, once the battery discharge it won't hold a charge, your best option is to get an optima battery. I had the same problem with my evo and a brand new evo with 10 miles did the same thing.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Your guys' car came without the Red Top? Mine came stock with it? WTF? I would have made them put the Red Top in before I left the lot.

Even if it isn't the relays you should replace them for sure.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teamnemesis3
so guess what??? I just got off work and it did it AGAIN!! .... what the HELL btw I have always had this issue since I bough in Jan. of 09!! but Recently it's gotten WORSE!!....

I'm Stock

I do have the Panasonic Battery "the stock one of course'

but it does crank it ...like it wants to start ...my car did sit for weeks at times but not anymore ...been 6 months that I drive it atleast 5 times a week..not very long maybe 100 miles a week
It really sounds like the battery. Mine acted the same way where it would try to crank and would eventually start. But it was really slow and long to get it to start. And then eventually it just wouldn't start. I called Mitsu's roadside assistance and got a jump and took it to the dealership and that was it.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was the battery you wouldn't even hear your starter engaging, but rather just a very fast clicking. The fact that you wait a minute or so and THEN it starts also points out it is not the battery, because once you try starting it it drains it even more. The fact it DID start after a minute points out it's something else.

A healthy battery measures 12-12.66V at rest with no current being drawn (no lights on or anything). A healthy battery while the car is running will be respectively more because of the alternator output. A healthy alternator output is 13.8-14.4 but most will read 13.8 at idle.

Another thing is you may want to see how much the battery voltage drops during crank, it shouldn't go below 10 volts

Last edited by lancerarmstrong; Sep 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

My car does the same thing from time to time. Can't find the cause but its very irregular. Battery is 13.8
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I have 'that' symptom.

I think there's a relay that sometimes causes the waiting requirement. It should only take a second or two, key back in the full off position (steering wheel locked), if you don't do that, it won't reset.

It sounds like you're describing two issues by adding the slowness part. FWIW, the EVO X's I have seen all seem to turn over slower than a Civic or any other 4 cylinder car I've ever seen. I don't know why, compression ratio isn't insane. It just seems to turn over slow to me all the time, it also takes more cranks to fire/start than the Camry she replace. Oh well.

Quick Reply: my Evo X won't start!