Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help! 2011 STi or Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Between the two I would try the 2011 Sti just to be adventurous. You really cant go wrong with either of them.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently did a bunch of test driving at local dealerships over the course of a few weeks in search of my next car (which of course turned out to be an Evo X). The stand outs were the 2011 STI and the 2010 Evo (couldn't find any 2011 Evos out there as of yet). The STI is really awesome and if you get the hatchback - its a great utility vehicle in its own right besides being fast. Compared to the Evo, the interior far is better. And for day to day driving the STI has a softer ride. The 2010 Evo on the other hand just "felt" more powerful especially when accelerating hard. The STI also is very powerful, but for some reason, I didn't feel that raw pull from it that I experienced on the Evo. Truth be told, I test drove both along with a friend of mine and we both came to conclusion that the Evo was more fun to drive, and the STI was a bit "softer" in terms of handling and for some reason didn't feel as "fast" - even though we really did try to push both cars in acceleration. Anyways I chose the Evo in the end because it "felt" faster. Up until I tried the Evo, I was settled on the STI - loved its styling, everything about it. But one test drive of the Evo changed my mind.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:14 PM

great feed back guys I have a lot to think about it looks like and i appreciate you guys taking the time to give me your thoughts. All are welcome and keep them coming!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kunoh
Recently did a bunch of test driving at local dealerships over the course of a few weeks in search of my next car (which of course turned out to be an Evo X). The stand outs were the 2011 STI and the 2010 Evo (couldn't find any 2011 Evos out there as of yet). The STI is really awesome and if you get the hatchback - its a great utility vehicle in its own right besides being fast. Compared to the Evo, the interior far is better. And for day to day driving the STI has a softer ride. The 2010 Evo on the other hand just "felt" more powerful especially when accelerating hard. The STI also is very powerful, but for some reason, I didn't feel that raw pull from it that I experienced on the Evo. Truth be told, I test drove both along with a friend of mine and we both came to conclusion that the Evo was more fun to drive, and the STI was a bit "softer" in terms of handling and for some reason didn't feel as "fast" - even though we really did try to push both cars in acceleration. Anyways I chose the Evo in the end because it "felt" faster. Up until I tried the Evo, I was settled on the STI - loved its styling, everything about it. But one test drive of the Evo changed my mind.
Here's an interesting thread for people comparing the EVO vs STI http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ti-owners.html
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jonstiorevox,

here is something you should watch that could make up your mind in a split second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

A few things to consider are:

1) What are your plans for the car? (power wise?)

2) With the STI do you plan on hatch or 4 door?

3) How important is handling to you?

4) How important is interior?

With the Evo you'll have an easier time making much more power with just bolt-ons/tune. It certainly handles better as well. The interior certainly isn't as nice, but the seats are better IMO. Trunk space is a downfall of the Evo though.

With the STI you'll probably have more "comfort," but that's really subjective. Of course if you went with a hatch you'd have much more space. Handling not as great, but definitely still adequate for a daily driver. Won't make as much power with simple bolt-ons/tune.

I daily drive my X, and I find it perfectly comfortable. Hell, I drove the car back from Tennessee to NJ and was very comfortable the entire trip. So it works for me as a DD. It really comes down to a matter of preference and what your needs are. For me the X worked better, and I just liked the all around feel better. Also, the looks better too. Honestly though, you probably won't be dissapointed either way.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Figure on kicking yourself anytime you spot an Evo while driving the car you picked over it. That happened to me when I bought a used 02 WRX instead of an Evo VIII in 2003.

I had a S2k before my current Evo X and wanted to maintain as much of the immediate handling responses of the S in a 4 door sedan. While the 08 STI was impressive it just didn't push my buttons like the Evo X, ie. understeer, slower steering response etc. The 2011 Sti looks to be much improved from the 08 from reading the reviews so that may make the choice harder now.

However the only remedy for Evo-Envy is an Evo.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Many of you are not taking into consideration that the 2011 STI has better bushings in the suspension and a 50% stiffer spring rate and matching damper for the rear. That should allow too correct a lot of the understeer issues people have seen with the MY 08's thru 10'.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:26 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
Many of you are not taking into consideration that the 2011 STI has better bushings in the suspension and a 50% stiffer spring rate and matching damper for the rear. That should allow too correct a lot of the understeer issues people have seen with the MY 08's thru 10'.
Those things won't correct that tumor under the hood that is allergic to revs, though. Send the EJ207 over, this 2.5 is a pig!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have two kids. The EVO works good. Plenty of rear seat room. Comfortable for all. Easy in and out...plus the red RECARO kids seats in the rear are killer. (aftermarket of course)

If I was going to do it again, I would still pick the EVO, but you have to consider several things. If you are taking a stroller....NO WAY can you get the EVO unless you are going with one of the mini umbrella types (trunk or on the rear floor will work). If you or your wife are larger people (no offense) the EVO seats are difficult to get in and out of and if you are wide, you will not like them (create pressure points). Handling is better and suspension more stiff and there are more rattles because of this. I think the X styling is way more unique and the car is more rare, especially since the new WRX is a look a like for the STI now. They will be everywhere....X is more exclusive if you care.

As stated before the driveline in the X is better for its purpose as is the engine and turbo. Intake, exhaust and tune should net at least 60hp at the wheels.

The STI seats are more forgiving for the modern American **** IMO. The STI is going to have more trunk space or the hatch will have even more. The ride is softer in the STI which is why I hated it but for comfort you might like it. If you just want decent acceleration and a docile ride the STI is nice and a slightly more refined interior, although I prefer my Rockford Fosgate and simpler dash and controls (3 knobs for climate in the X) I think the STI looks better in person compared to pictures or it, but to me it is soft and I hate the front end. The X is mean from any angle.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pr3z
I've personally seen two pop on track... again a butter knife just can't cut through the tarmac.

You can buy a butter knife or a steak knife.... just depends what you intend to do with it.

Nice!! There is a Blue WRX I believe is in Polk or Story county with the License Tag "STI FTW". I like yours better!!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

the 2011 sti makes me want to throw up its such a disgrace you couldnt pay me to drive one

my vote evo x
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I will not buy an STI with an EJ25. Never. It takes alot of fun out of owning the car when you know your engine is a ticking time bomb. Even if it doesn't blow it will likely start consuming oil. That's just life with a Subaru.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
I will not buy an STI with an EJ25. Never. It takes alot of fun out of owning the car when you know your engine is a ticking time bomb. Even if it doesn't blow it will likely start consuming oil. That's just life with a Subaru.

my subaru has done me fine at 400whp for 15,000miles and counting. (at this power level) 55,000 total

Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:04 PM

I base all my car buying decisions on top gear. No I really do, they are awesome. I love the X.

Quick Reply: Help! 2011 STi or Evo X