Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help! 2011 STi or Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bottom line: the only compelling, objective reason in favor of the sti is the storage capacity of the wagon.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by heavyD
LOL 55K miles is an achievement?

I knew someone would post something like this. Of course some will last but many don't. Take a look at the used STI market like I did. It's hard to find one used with an original engine. I assume you have spent enough time at Subaru forums to know that rebuilds are pretty common place with Subarus.
i can tell u dont spend any time on a subaru forums...i have a 04 sti with the stock motor making 400whp on pump(91 oct) with a gt30r and 485whp with race gas...60k miles and going strong, the ringland issue only started in 07 because subaru was putting bad tune on the sti to meet emissions regulations... once retuned from factory most sti's last a very long time...there is a 04 sti pushing 150k miles with 400whp on the stock motor and another one with over 200k with the original motor.. the ringland failure is actually a very low rate and mostly was a result of a bad tune...i am yet to see a properly tuned low miles sti blow up on the forums...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

You say your going stage 2 if so i would deffinitly go Evo X! Evo 9 would be the best but Evo X over the STI

If you stay stock then either one is a good option.

Reason being...
I have a friend who bought a new 08 STI he did stage 2 with a safe tune he just hit 30K miles and his Engine went pop. the ringland failure. because he is stage 2 his warranty is shot.
(also must add he hardly drives his car hard. been to the drag strip once and ran like a 14)

The STI just isnt strong at all! if you keep it stock then you will still have your warrenty and subaru will take care of any problems.

Evo is much more capable STI(Wagon only) is much more practical
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

just a quick comment... i cant stand the new sti sedans.. they are disgusting to look at IMO... i think it looks like a kia with a Celica GT wing...

I love my X... im making great power with basic mods and so far i've had nothing wrong with it yet
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by headstart101
i can tell u dont spend any time on a subaru forums...i have a 04 sti with the stock motor making 400whp on pump(91 oct) with a gt30r and 485whp with race gas...60k miles and going strong, the ringland issue only started in 07 because subaru was putting bad tune on the sti to meet emissions regulations... once retuned from factory most sti's last a very long time...there is a 04 sti pushing 150k miles with 400whp on the stock motor and another one with over 200k with the original motor.. the ringland failure is actually a very low rate and mostly was a result of a bad tune...i am yet to see a properly tuned low miles sti blow up on the forums...
I have seen 04 and 05 sti's with broken ring lands. I'm on my third subaru, so I'm no kool-aid drinker, but my next car will be a EVO.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:17 AM

Lol, STi's before '07 don't have the ringland issue? Are you high? '06s were known for it too. Ringland #4 just loves to take a dump. I had my '06 STi #4 ringland take a dump. Even with the new shortblock from SOA (I was stock so it was covered) burned oil with a normal (recommended) break in. I will never own another Subaru because of my horrible experience with them.

I still love them and am a fan but my choice is the Evo all day, everyday. Also, over 350whp the STi pistons (especially ringlands) are suspect as hell. I've read that NUMEROUS times when I was on the NASIOC and IWSTI forums.

Not to mention it cost around double to triple the money to make less power. In the end, go with whichever car you can buy and not kick yourself for not buying the other. For me it was the Evo X
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have owned two WRX's and two EVO's. It all depends on what you want from the car. They are both great cars but from personal experience I would give the edge to the EVO...The Lancer is just an animal man no other way to put it..The STi is great and I haven't tried the 2011, but the only thing it's got going is the engine sound, hehe, otherwise its EVO all the way...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:42 AM

Well it looks like tonight im going to head out to my dealer and give the evo another drive. I'm pretty sure ill be joining the evo family, I think what sold me is I mad a few phone calls to some local speed shops and they all said the same things you guys had to say. It seems pretty much fact that the evo's motor is outstanding and out performs the stis. I'll let yas no what i think tonight after my test drive (last time i drove an mr this time will be the gsr).
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jonstiorevox
Well it looks like tonight im going to head out to my dealer and give the evo another drive. I'm pretty sure ill be joining the evo family, I think what sold me is I mad a few phone calls to some local speed shops and they all said the same things you guys had to say. It seems pretty much fact that the evo's motor is outstanding and out performs the stis. I'll let yas no what i think tonight after my test drive (last time i drove an mr this time will be the gsr).

either way you go they are both awesome machines.

here is the mega merge for you guys who just wanna bash one or the other. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ge-thread.html
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
hehe you must be one of the lucky few, at least once a week i see a thread titled "help my stock car got denied warranty"
And they always end up being modded cars where the mod affects the broken part in question. For every BS thread you see on here about someone complaining, there are hundreds of owners who don't post when something goes their way or they get something warrantied that they probably shouldn't have.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonstiorevox
Good choice. Stock tunes don't do these cars justice as they really come alive with simple bolt-on's and a tune.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:39 AM

I had a 06 WRX TR had around 380whp and the car had 89,000 miles on it when i sold it. never had any issues with the motor ever running 180whp more for 3 years
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:30 AM

EVO X......comfort, precision and AWD that'll put to shame a lot of manufacturers on what they are offering for 30K.
I am not even going to bring the 2010 STis into the picture...we'll see for 2011 though...I think it is going to be just as excitingly boring, as the previous iterations.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well????????? Did you ever pull the trigger?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Go for the evo, Im Not to fond of the new look for the sti.

Quick Reply: Help! 2011 STi or Evo X