Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help! 2011 STi or Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 2011 STi or Evo X

Hey guys, I'm looking for some driver feed back on what car to get. I own a 2010 camaro ss and with a baby on the way the back seat is just not going to cut it. My wife said I could have a sports car around the same price as the camaro as long as it has a back seat. My question to you guys is, in your opinions what car is quicker, better built, and more fun to drive. I'm so torn and i wish there was a clear winner, even styling wise I like both for different reasons. I was able to test drive the evo x and man was I impressed, but I was not able to compare it to the 2011 STi (i did get to see a 4 door in person but it was sold). What ever I choose i plan on going stage 2 and really would just like an all around good 1/4 mile car thats fun to drive on the street and also reliable. sorry if this turned into a rant im just very excited and confused!!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:25 PM
JEP
Evolving Member

Ill start by saying if I had to do it all over again I would not buy the evo x! I just think the car is far to heavy. The Sti which makes basically the same power bur has about 300 pounds less weight to move around! I think the evo is a better looking car but I would give build quality to the Sti. Just my 2 cents...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:33 PM

thank you for the input, I didnt realize there was a 300 lb difference
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I like the 08 sti. Lighter, more hp, 6 speed, more spacious, i like the seats better and gotta love the sound of it.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:02 PM

Evo 9!! but between the 2 you are looking at i would go with the STi
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

If i had to pick between a the Evo X and Sti Wagon, i would get the Evo X. I'm more into performance and dont care much about interior styling (Evo's cheap plastic).. BUT the new STI sedan looks raw!! Im not sure if i'd take it over the Evo X, but the Sti is more comfortable than the X (buddy has one).. You cant go wrong with either car to be honest.

Edit: Evo X has crappy clutch's! I just got mines and its already slipping..as well as many others. But if you are finacially stable, you mine as well upgrade it anyways if you plan on modding and making decent power! This is just my opinion..

Last edited by tlsole; Sep 20, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JEP
Ill start by saying if I had to do it all over again I would not buy the evo x! I just think the car is far to heavy. The Sti which makes basically the same power bur has about 300 pounds less weight to move around! I think the evo is a better looking car but I would give build quality to the Sti. Just my 2 cents...

I agree with the EVO looking better. I am still a Subaru fan at heart and I am torn at the moment myself on which car I will get next Spring. Part of me wants a Sedan STI and for other reasons I like the X as well. Here are a few things to help you out and some are biased from my opinion so no flaming people..

What I like about the 2011 STI, I like the styling of the new sedan and would even consider the hatch as the front end now looks more aggressive. And of course, I love the Boxer Rumble. I like the interior of the 08+ STI as oppposed to the previous generation. I am not a fan of the Stock seats though and I still can't understand why Subaru does this to the USDM STI as ALL other countries get the nice OEM Recaros. But this can be remedied with some aftermarket seats though.

Since you are having a kid, both cars have about the same amount of interior room so this isn't really an issue with either car.

My main concern with the STI is that a small number of motors have blown up on 2008 MY STIs. 2 of them were stock. Others were modded. This information comes from IWSTI and I an active member there since 2007.

THIS IS REALLY MY ONLY CONCERN AND IMO, its a very important one. That I know of though, no 2009 or newer motors have popped.

As for the EVO X, I also like the styling and especially like the interior of the MR and MR-T. One of my main reasons for the MR is the SST and for me it would be a very welcomed thing since I live in the DC area and traffic is horrid.

I think the EVO can easily pull more power with less effort and basic bolt ons so if this is one of your main objetives then +1 to the EVO.

I also think as far as reliability goes, the EVO X is bit better than the STI only for the reason that the STI's popping motors. Other than that, the vehicles would be tied on this. Since you plan on modding your car than the warranty thing is kinda out the door as both Mitsu and Subaru are not fans of backing their warranty for cars that have basic bolt ons.

I suggest you make an account on IWSTI and really research the Engine issues that the 08 STI has experienced as there are quite a bit of number of ticked off members that are not happy due to this. This way you can see this information for yourself.

This is mainly based off my opinion and I know alot of people hate the new STI sedan and just Subaru period but I have owned both and love both platforms equally. There are fan boys on both sides but I suggest you test drive an STI and make a decision yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the new sti. I like the x also. But I think the sti is the way I'd go. If the x was closer to how the 8 and 9 were in terms of raw rugged sports car it would be a x for sure. But it seems more like a 325i. So I say give the suby a go.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

2011 STi. Hands Down.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:11 PM

I don't own an evo yet, but I will be getting one in the months to come, and I haven't looked into the 2011 STi (sedan), but man so much love for that car on this forum specialy over the Evo X (WTF). My reason for picking the Evo X is just becuase it looks soooooo much better that the STi, I just cant get my eye off of one on the road when I see one (IX or X).

Last edited by wolverinepwns; Sep 20, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
That I know of though, no 2009 or newer motors have popped.
I've personally seen two pop on track... again a butter knife just can't cut through the tarmac.

You can buy a butter knife or a steak knife.... just depends what you intend to do with it.

Last edited by Pr3z; Sep 20, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'm a hard HARDcore Subaru fanboi, been a member of NASIOC for many moons, owned seveal Scoobs, and I would say... get the 10. A couple of Pros/Cons first:

CONS
With kids the Evo 10 has the better and easier back seat BUT the Recaro front seats make it a challange to reach back.
Trunk is small, simply no way around debating this one, it's small. It works for me and several others that I know with kids but I/they have other vehicles for heavy work if needed (i.e. Costco and Home Depot runs).

PROS
Predator sholder cannon laser guided point-n-shoot handling. Nothing under 40k new will come close with the dialed in feedback in handling, steering, braking, and chasis response except for a Miata, RX8, BMW 325, or VW GTI.

Now, the STI has to be factored into the Evo 10's Pros/Cons.

STI PROS
Sound and buttery mid range rpm band. Smooth clutch, and bolt action 6 speed. rally racer looks. big trunk/hatch.

STI CONS
Thrash me to love me handling. Dead steering feel and response. Unsupportive seats (not so much in lateral/sport driving but in overall long commute confort).

Oh and the Subaru piston/ringland/tune issues. Which was a BIG one for me.

Really it comes down to driving them both and going with what your gut/heart tells you is the right one. If I could afford it, I would have both, but my other car needs to be a big desiel truck (maybe a little later in life).
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:24 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Man, the 8/9 trolls are out in force tonight!

This has been hashed around a lot, but I think its OK to have a new thread, so I'm happy to answer you.

I had a WRX, tuned a lot of STIs, not for me. Get the Evo X, here's why:
-Evo has much better handling and active yaw control for a feel that is neutral with a tiny bit of oversteer on demand. The STI understeers terribly.
-Even with 250 more pounds, the stock turbo and engine are much better in the Evo, and the power gains with tuning and exhaust work in both cars will more than offset the weight handicap.
-STI stock turbo is pitiful
-STI exhaust routing pre-turbo is a nightmare, and not worth upgrading
-Subaru (Top mounted) intercoolers suck for power and heat soak
-STI engine failures with light mods abound
-Rev potential is lower in the STI. The Evo limiter is at 7600rpm stock, and can handle 200rpm more without any drama
-The STI sedan rear looks like the cross between a Mustang and a Saturn Ion Redline.

The only saving grace for the STI to me is that the wagon looks decent, and the interior bits look nicer. But the Recaros in the Evo are so much supportive. Look at the magazine comparisons in the USA. The Evo destroys the STI on track in most of them. In Lightning Lap, it wasn't even close.

Edit: I don't get the love for the boxer rumble. Sounds like a cross between a Harley and an angry pig.

Last edited by Noize; Sep 20, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned a 2005 STi and I think my 2010 Evo X is better. Although both get the job done; the STi is a butcher's knife and the Evo is a surgeon's.

I know the 2005 STi is not the 2011 but hope the metaphor helps.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I think the 2011 STis have taken a step in the rite direction but the Evo X is still the one to get.

Quick Reply: Help! 2011 STi or Evo X