Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Opening Hood Vents??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh okay, I'll take a peek when I take the front vents apart, maybe I'll just cut it out bigger. Yes definitely report back on that! I would like to know what difference it makes. If I ever need some intense work done I'll keep them in mind, but I do almost everything myself since I myself am a VW/Porsche Tech.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:58 AM

the front 2 vents is not to let air it is to let air out after it goes throught the fmic but it does look very good and will help let more air out when going fast.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRBLUE107
I wouldnt, i think it helps support the scoop and keep enough heat away from melting stuff...??
It redirects air to the manifold/downpipe. It'd be foolish to mess with the center scoop.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:31 AM

I did remove my two front scoops out. You can clearly to realize temp drop a little by monitor your info screen. I have AEM air intake so the stock air duct is till there, and because of that, the rain/water should not be an issue.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mc auley
the front 2 vents is not to let air it is to let air out after it goes throught the fmic but it does look very good and will help let more air out when going fast.
I know it's not to let air in, I want to vent the engine more by taking opening them up to help with heat but was unsure of any ill effects of letting water and snow in, especially since the driver side one is right over the intake (for when I get an intake).
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
It redirects air to the manifold/downpipe. It'd be foolish to mess with the center scoop.
I know it directs air to the manifold and downpipe, which is why I wanted to open it up even more to direct more air down there.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

For anyone who might read this thread as a reference, here is an update.

Today I removed both front vents and took notice to where they open up too. The pass side is directed in front of the motor and behind the radiator. The driver side opens up directly above the OEM intake duct/radiator hose so as long as your intake utilizes that duct or is no further forward that the oem box you should have no worries. It does sit a little deeper into the hood without the plates but I don't think it was enough to matter visually. If it bugs anyone you can dremel the stock plates and reinsert them, or find some thin washers to space it up (which I may end up doing just to see how it looks). I also removed the metal scoop guide under the hood and dremeled the hole bigger. I wanted to leave it for heat protection and air directing but figured if the hole was bigger it would do more good. I took out the little section that connects one side to the other and it doesn't seem overly flimsy or anything, but again if one would like, while you dremel it out you can leave a little brace piece to help it.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Im still debating if i should open the hood vents. Only thing that stops me from doing it is that i live in Houston, where its known to pour rain randomly. My car currently sits outside all day, and probably wont see the garage until i have time to clean it out. Im currently on the stock intake and i know the driver side vent will probably be okay, but how about the passenger side? Last thing i want is water to damage any electrical wire/corrode metal, pipes and lines. What do you guys think? Is it worth it..
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Heres images of my opened vents. I live in Ohio and I dont think its going to cause a problem. Definitely can see the heat rolling out.
Attached Thumbnails Opening Hood Vents??-openvents1.jpg   Opening Hood Vents??-openvents2.jpg  
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tlsole
Im still debating if i should open the hood vents. Only thing that stops me from doing it is that i live in Houston, where its known to pour rain randomly. My car currently sits outside all day, and probably wont see the garage until i have time to clean it out. Im currently on the stock intake and i know the driver side vent will probably be okay, but how about the passenger side? Last thing i want is water to damage any electrical wire/corrode metal, pipes and lines. What do you guys think? Is it worth it..
I was worried about some of the same things. I dont' see anywhere that it will damage anything. Especially if you have a stock intake. Even if you have an aftermarket as long as you utilize the OEM duct and it's not further forward than the OEM box you should be good. The passenger side is just in between the motor and the radiator fans/support. I live in Colorado and was worried about rain and snow but don't think it will hurt anything. You have to imagine when you are driving through rain you get a little of the same (both shields still have some holes in them, if you take them off you will see), and there are cars that don't have any undershields like ours do. Definitely helps in venting heat out. Also harnesses are made to withstand the weather. They are insulated and coated and where it goes into the connector, there is a grommet to protect from water intrusion and the connector itself has a seal to protect from that. I haven't had any rain or anything yet with mine open, but doubt it will affect it except help with the heat. Go for it
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gooseman396
Heres images of my opened vents. I live in Ohio and I dont think its going to cause a problem. Definitely can see the heat rolling out.
nice! looks good
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by one2hook
nice! looks good
next is opening up the center vent but havent got around to it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gooseman396
next is opening up the center vent but havent got around to it.
I did mine, didn't take too long. Dremel is the bomb for that